campervan New Zealand

Old June 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default campervan New Zealand

[Default] On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:04:49 GMT, "Kathy and Steve"
offered the following words of
wisdom:

Phew thank goodness we arent going to Northland! I live in Far North Qld and
have to also tackle the "terrorists"in campers and caravans - but they also
bring money with them and that helps the local economy. When the tourists
dont come, this area suffers greatly.

No doubt a few local businesses (and their employees) benefit from
tourism, but the vast majority of the people who live around here
don't. But we've always been more than happy to share our lovely coast
with well mannered guests who show the local environment - including
the people who live here - some respect.

Unfortunately, a lot of the younger tourists (especially the Germans)
don't and seem to think that they are somehow ENTITLED to use our
beaches and roads without any consideration for anyone else.

For example, they'll take up several spaces in busy carparks and set
up camp or park directly in front of someone's house blocking their
views. We've even had campervans drive up our private road (tearing up
the road in the process), knock on our door and ask where they can
camp.

The first few times we welcomed these uninvited guests. But after
awhile it becomes tiresome - especially since they usually arrive when
we're doing something important.

As a result of this kind of thoughtless behaviour, there has been some
vandalism of campervans and I wouldn't be surprised to see more.

We only have 4 1/2 weeks and plan to stay only on the south Island as we
love to bushwalk and cycle as well as DOC camp grounds so we are not really
interested in the cities and the motels. We did do a holiday in Tassie with
a small car and motels and hated it as we were restricted as to where we
could stay the night. Another long haul we did was through Canada but on
that occasion we took tent/camp gear and camped everywhere, brrr even in the
snow. Dont worry seaeagle, you stay out of the South Island and we will stay
out of Northland :P
Kathy

Watch your rear vision mirrors. You're not out of the woods yet.

We're planning a road trip through the South Island in early spring
and are thinking of renting a campervan in Christchurch. Not only are
the roads far better in the SI than the NI, but the standard of
driving is better and local drivers more considerate.

That doesn't mean that South Islanders appreciate being stuck behind a
thoughtless tourist any more than North Islanders, but it does mean
that it's a safer more pleasant place to drive.

I've driven from CHCH to Queenstown and down to Milford and Te Anau
and the roads were beautiful. This time I'll be going with my wife and
hope to take around three weeks to drive from Christchurch down to
Bluff and back. The next road week trip we'll take will in the West
Coast and Fiordland.

Enjoy your visit. It's a beautiful country and I'm sure you'll be
welcome wherever you go.

Old June 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kathy and Steve

Enjoy your visit. It's a beautiful country and I'm sure you'll be
welcome wherever you go.

Hmmm we too are going early spring - I will watch my rear mirrors but if you
are also in a camper you too will be driving slow maybe :P
Thanks for your replies, see you on the south island.