Sicily - what to see ?

Old September 20th, 2004, 05:34 AM
PTRAVEL

"Alan Strassberg" wrote in message
Going to Sicily next week - have about 10 days...What's a must ?

Cefalu', Taormina, Syracruse ?
Aeolian Islands ?

I'm looking for nice villages, beach relaxation, local markets,
views.

Car needed ? Rent there ok ?

We rented in Palermo and drove around the island. With the exception of
driving in Palermo proper, driving and navigation is easy.

For views, Taormina can't be beat. Go to the old Roman Theater and marvel
at the views of Etna.

Syracusa isn't exactly a village -- more of a small city -- but definitely
worth a visit, particularly if you like ancient ruins. There is a
well-preserved Greek theater. The old section of the city is on a pennisula
(actually an island) and has some beautiful vistas.

We're not beach people, so I can't help you there (we went in December).

alan

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Sandra Griffiths

In Palermo, the market is fascinating, & the Cathedral at Monreale & the
Palatine Chapel have wonderful mosaics. For more mosaics try to see the
villa at Piazza Armerina - the villa was once a hunting lodge for a Roman
emperor- several rooms with the most wonderful mosaic floors. Interested in
volcanoes? A trip up Etna is exciting. The trip down is even more
fascinating, as you can see the lava paths (and the damage they have
done)quite clearly. If you are in Messina & interested in antiquities, take
the ferry across to Regio Calabria on the mainland & be awed by the Greek
bronzes in the museum. The Aeolian islands have other volcanoes,
particularly Stromboli. Taormina is stunning- if it is too cold for
beaching, just sit & take in the views. Cefalu has another wonderful town
square, made for coffee & people watching And of course the entire island
is one magnificent gelati stop. It is hard not to enjoy Sicily.

Old October 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Dan Stephenson

In article , Alan Strassberg
wrote:

Going to Sicily next week - have about 10 days...What's a must ?

Cefalu', Taormina, Syracruse ?
Aeolian Islands ?

I'm looking for nice villages, beach relaxation, local markets,
views.

Car needed ? Rent there ok ?

alan

I just returned from two weeks in Sicily.

There are many hilltop towns in central Sicily you might like. Also,
in the far west is Erice.

There are local markets in Palermo.

I found the best "view" to be from Erice, but that overall the "views"
were not as stunning as I had hoped them to be. I expected Crete and
instead got a mountainous West Texas.

For what it's worth, when I go back I'm definitely going to spend more
time in Syracuse, and see more of the top of Mount Etna. And visit the
islands, which I missed out on altogether.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

Old December 7th, 2004, 11:34 AM

http://www.ardice.com/Regional/Europ...olian_Islands/