living in europe

Old October 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Carole Allen

Carole Allen writes:

The point of life insurance is to provide for your loved ones - your
spouse - (and particularly minor children if you die while they are
still financiallly dependent upon your income).

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:10:45 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:
So it does not provide for you, which makes it useless if you lose
your job.

LIFE insurance insures your LIFE. You can have disability insurance,
which typically pays something like 40-60% of your wages for a period
of time (after a 60-90 waiting period). You can often claim
unemployment benefits (the level is based on your earning history and
won't replace your entire income) , LIFE insurance does not insure
against job loss - it is not designed for that. That's why you should
save - so if you lose your job, become far too ill to work, experience
a lengthy stretch of unemployment, your house burns down, you go
blind, someone hits your car and badly injures you - you have
something to fall back on. Even if you have disability, homeowners,
auto insurance, there is often a period of months (and in some cases
years if there is a dispute over the sum owed) before you receive
payments. That's why most financial advisors recommend you have
enough cash in the bank to live on for a minimum of 6 months.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:14:35 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

You are really useless aren't you?
Read a book (I recommend the EOD).

The idea is not to keep busy but to do something one finds productive
or interesting and (especially) discretionary. In other words, it is
effectively time that I am at the disposition of my employer, rather
that myself, even though I'm not being paid. This is a common
complaint among those working under CDIIs.

Brush up on some new programming language so you can get a better-paid job.

Programming is increasingly outsourced today.

But not totally. Lame excuse. Choose another branch.

Nip out and take a few photos, you're good at that -I've seen the ones on
your site.

I don't have enough time to go anywhere outside the neighborhood, and
I have to be dressed for school, which precludes carrying a camera.

Another even lamer (if there is such a word) excuse.
Put the gear in a bag. You can take photos while wearing a suit.
Take photos *in* the neighbourhood. I don't believe an urban photographer
like yourself could be at a loss for motifs.

--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:07:04 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

then some don't, find them.

Since such discrimination is illegal and thus not publicly announced,
it's difficult to know which ones do and which ones don't.

Keep trying.
--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Tim Challenger

Carole Allen writes:

The point of life insurance is to provide for your loved ones - your
spouse - (and particularly minor children if you die while they are
still financiallly dependent upon your income).

So it does not provide for you, which makes it useless if you lose
your job.

That was just an example. A man of your massive intellect could surely
apply the reasoning to unemployment/illness or any other red herring you'd
like to throw in.
--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:08:41 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

You call that home?

Where?

Victim of your own over zealous snipping.

Wherever it was you meant when you said "I am already home".
--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:09:20 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Keith W writes:

We are the outsourcing, the parent company is in
the USA

And where are you?

But not as well

Doing it well usually isn't the goal of outsourcing; doing it cheaply
is all that matters.

Maybe all that matters to those that use outsourcing. Not the highest
priority to those who don't.
--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:11:12 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Tim Challenger writes:

Relative to what? Where you're living now?

Relative to most places in the world.

So?
--
Tim C.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:36:31 GMT, (Carole Allen)
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:55:07 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Already done (albeit not by me). The convention collective allows it,
and since in theory nobody is required to be present when not
teaching, the position is that it doesn't have to be paid. Of course,
if you only have one hour free between classes, you can't really go
anywhere or do anything else, but that's the position.

So you are "there" 55 hours per week, but not "working" 55 hours per
week. You teach part of the time, you have one hour breaks part of
the time/between some classes. You can't do anything else in an hour?
In Paris?

You can read, you can go on usenet, you can take a walk (that might
help with that weight problem you mentioned), you can take a nap, you
can start writing that novel, you can go outside and take photos, you
can smell the roses, you can teach yourself something new - a
language, how to play an instrument, you can read a newspaper, you can
pray, you can eat.

Or you can just sit like a lump and contemplate your belly-button and
rock back and forth and moan "poor me."

You might as well be living at the North Pole - you certainly couldn't
be much more bored there than you appear to be in Paris. And you
wouldn't have to worry about scaring folks off with your "ugliness."

We still don't know what the issue is there - horns? A tail? A
hunchback? Are you the elephant man? Are you Pan? Cyclops? How bad
can it be?

As discussed on this n/g before, Mixi prefers to play what Eric Berne
described as "Life Games"

He's got a black belt in "Kick Me":

The following is a brief description of the Life Game Kick Me from
Games People Play by Dr. Eric Berne.

Thesis: This is played by men whose social manner is equivalent to
wearing a sign that reads Please Don’t Kick Me. The temptation is
almost irresistible, and when the natural result follows, White cries
piiteously, But the sign says ‘don’t kick me.’ Then he adds
incredulously, Why does this always happen to me? (WAHM.). Clinically,
the WAHM may be introjected and disguised in the Psychiatry cliché:
Whenever I’m under stress, I get all shook up. One game element in
WAHM comes from inverse pride: My misfortunes are better than yours.
This factor is often found in paranoids.

If the people in this environment are restrained from striking at him
by kindheartedness, I’m Only Trying to Help You, at social convention
or organizational rules, his behavior becomes more and more
provocative until he transgresses the limits and forces them to
oblige. These are men who are cast out, the jilted and the job
losers.

(
http://www.ericberne.com/games/games...lay_kickme.htm )

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old October 5th, 2005, 09:48 AM
The Reids

Following up to Carole Allen

A dependence on dictionaries is a sign of a weak
vocabulary.

Or of a curious mind.

mixi has a curious mind :-)
--