Hitch-hiking from Ethiopia to South Africa

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:43 PM
Augustas Kligys

Default Hitch-hiking from Ethiopia to South Africa

Hi,
This June and July I will be travelling by hitch-hiking from Ethiopia
to South Africa. My route will go through
Kenya,Tanzania,Zambia,Botswana.
I will start 5 June from Addis Ababa, and finish 1 August in Cape
Town.
The page about journey: http://africa.kligys.com

Maybe you have some practical tips&tricks about hitch-hiking in those
countries?

I am also searching for people in South Ethiopia, Zambia and Botswana,
at which place I could stay for 1-2 nights (i only need a place for
the sleeping bag).

best regards,
Augustas
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Steve Bougerolle

On Sun, 02 May 2004 08:43:30 -0700, Augustas Kligys wrote:

I will start 5 June from Addis Ababa, and finish 1 August in Cape
Town.

Maybe you have some practical tips&tricks about hitch-hiking in those
countries?

Practical tip #1: Fixed schedules don't work in Africa. Saying "I
will be here on this day" is just asking for trouble.

Practical tip #2: Two months isn't a lot of time for this trip. You
probably can do it in two months, if you are lucky, but will be rushing
and miss a lot.

Practical tip #3: Hitch-hiking from Ethiopia to Kenya needs to be
approached the right way. Northern Kenya is bandit country. If you can
line up one ride that goes all the way through, then you should be
all right, but don't count on being let through without that. Given the
time limits you have anyway, I think I would start in Nairobi rather than
Addis Ababa.

Practical tip #4: Expect to pay for the rides you catch, although you
won't always have to. You will find in Tanzania and Kenya people tend to
be a bit friendlier if you are off the beaten path (and less likely to try
to over-charge you.) I don't know what route you have planned but there I
would roughly go Nairobi to Kisumu, then south to Mwanza along the country
east of Lake Victoria.

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Pumba

I agree with Steve. I would also probably start in Nairobi. I have lived
in Kenya for 18years. All my time there, I didnt venture North of Meru and
its vicinity. Even though we were natives, we still had armed rangers when
we camped in the "northern parks" such as Sarova Shaba and Bugffalo Springs.
Northern Kenya is very scarcely populated and notorious "bandit country".

Other than that, all I would advise is use "common sense" and you will have
a blast. Some of my life's best memories are from traveling in Kenya and
Tanzania.

Hope it helps!

news

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:26 PM