Milan to Bucharest by train?

Old December 10th, 2015, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On 12-10-2015 05:34, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:58:19 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:
Not when it is foggy. Linate is next to a lake a former pre-war
seaplane base. Lakes tend to get foggy in winter.

Idroscalo ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idroscalo

Not a real lake, it was dug out using some abandoned quarries filled (*)
with water. There are a lot like that nearby (Redecesio, Malaspina) and
elsewhere (Parco delle Cave).

Lakes don't have to be natural in English. UK is full of lakes that have been

And they don't have to be natural to produce fog, either. :-)

Old December 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, Martin wrote:

Often in winter Milan is covered in fog when the rest of the area
isn't.

Hmm ... your experience is possibly a bit dated.

Fog, specially thick fog (at street level) is now a rare experience in
the city of Milan (specially in the northern part above the 121 m line)
while when I was a kid it was not uncommon to be unable to see across a
street. While fog remains common just outside the urban area (like near
Linate, or along the motorways going east, south or west).

Unless you are talking of other "dusty" pollution which may linger at
higher level in the air, and may be seen hovering over Milan during a
clear day outside in Brianza ...
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Often in winter Milan is covered in fog when the rest
of the area isn't.

Hmm ... your experience is possibly a bit dated.

by 15 to 20 years. From the air, I could often see fog over
Milan when the rest of the area was clear. Fog not smog.

Is fog globally endangered? When I first arrived in Edinburgh
in the 1970s, you would usually get a thick fog ("haar") over
the city in the morning in late summer, drifting in from the
North Sea. It was quite lovely; from the hills in the south
you could look down to see Edinburgh slowly emerging from it as
the sun came up, church spires first. The old stone tenements
in the New Town looked their most atmospheric at that time.
But you see it much less often now.

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2015-12-04, Giovanni Drogo wrote:

(*) the main fact is that such trains depart from 2 (3) different
stations. This makes no difference when you arrive at MXP, you catch the
first train to Milan (wherever) and then continue by metro. But when you
are leaving, you have to decide in advance where you take the train from
Cadorna or the train from Garibaldi (from Centrale it is just a waste of
time via the "umbrella handle"), so actually the frequency is halved.

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

Coming in late to Malpensa, I've booked a hotel in Case Nuove right next
to the airport. It's an easy walking distance for me, but looking at
the roads on google streetview, walking doesn't seem like a good idea
particulary when you consider it will be dark and the drivers are Italian.

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there are
bus stops, but the airport webpage has no information on stops outside
the terminal.
Old February 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

Anyhow if you are at Malpensa, the trains to Porta Garibaldi, and those
to Centrale will all call at Porta Garibaldi (PG). The train to Cadorna
don't. But if you can't wait the PG train you can stop at Bovisa, then
take S1 S2 or S13 trains (direction resp. Lodi Rogoredo Pavia) and in 2
stops you will get at Porta Garibaldi UNDER.

Timetables are on http://www.trenord.it/

Unfortunately PG is rather a messy station (known also as "the caves of
Moria"). There are at ground level platforms 1-16 (head station),
regional and some long distance towards west, and platforms 17-20
(through station, regional towards north and trains to Centrale), then
there are (4? or 2?) platforms underground (S-trains). Then there is the
metro M2 (green) and M5 (lilla), which are most likely not of interest
to you.

Coming in late to Malpensa, I've booked a hotel in Case Nuove right next
to the airport. It's an easy walking distance for me,

Hmm, looks a funny choice for me, I did not know that Case Nuove is
still inhabited. I thought the inhabitants got money to move elsewhere,
they were complaining about noise and pollution.

I would have thought there are hotels elsewhere, perhaps in Ferno (1
rail stop), or in Gallarate (larger town, with very frequent rail
connection to PG).

However I look at google maps and see that there are several hotels
there, perhaps they bought the place from the inhabitants.

Does your hotel provide a courtesy shuttle ?
Otherwise I think you can always take a taxi

But then you'll have to go back to Malpensa or some other rail station
to continue to Milan, surely you can't get there directly from the
hotel,

(I would have moved to Milan to overnight there, there should be buses
even late after the train service is stopped ... I once took a coach
FROM Milan to MXP T2 at 4 am)

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops, but the airport webpage has no information on stops
outside the terminal.

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/ provides the
timetables of buses in Lombardy. It is however better to check on the
individual company sites.

I did a search by LINE, then filled in the COMUNE as Somma Lombardo
(Case Nuove is a "fraction" of Somma Lombardo) and get a list of lines
transiting in Somma Lombardo. Line SO-CAS of SACO SRL (never heard of)
looks to be transiting in Case Nuove and Malpensa, but I doubt it runs
late in the evening.

http://www.malpensa.it/from-malpensa-to-milan.php does not list local
services although it lists the ones to Gallarate etc.

If you have specific questions you may ask on
http://forum.milanotrasporti.org (you have to register to post in forum
"Come spostarsi da... a... & Richieste varie - SOLO ISCRITTI" (for
queries about how to go from ... to ...). You may post in English

Somebody there may know better.
Old February 20th, 2016, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2016-02-19, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

For an outsider it is confusing, especially when you need to catch an
onwards train. Hopefully I'll make it to Porta Garibaldi in time.

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

A Frecciarossa to Torino.

In retrospect I probably would have been better off with the Malpensa - Torino
bus even if I dislike long bus rides.

Coming in late to Malpensa, I've booked a hotel in Case Nuove right next
to the airport. It's an easy walking distance for me,

Hmm, looks a funny choice for me, I did not know that Case Nuove is
still inhabited. I thought the inhabitants got money to move elsewhere,
they were complaining about noise and pollution.

I would have thought there are hotels elsewhere, perhaps in Ferno (1
rail stop), or in Gallarate (larger town, with very frequent rail
connection to PG).

However I look at google maps and see that there are several hotels
there, perhaps they bought the place from the inhabitants.

It's fairly common to have a cluster of hotels near a major airport.

Does your hotel provide a courtesy shuttle ?
Otherwise I think you can always take a taxi

They do have a shuttle "at certain times", but again very little
information about it. Tripadvisor is full of complaints about hotel
shuttles from mine and other hotels. I decided to waste any effort on
that.

But then you'll have to go back to Malpensa or some other rail station
to continue to Milan, surely you can't get there directly from the
hotel,

(I would have moved to Milan to overnight there, there should be buses
even late after the train service is stopped ... I once took a coach
FROM Milan to MXP T2 at 4 am)

I did look at hotels in Milan at first, but once I eliminated the hotels
where the reception would be long closed before my arrival the offers
weren't very appealing. And with the lower frequencies at night, plus the
transit time, who knows how late it would be before I would reach a hotel.

In the end I got good value at the airport and can look forward to
relax at an reasonable hour.

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops, but the airport webpage has no information on stops
outside the terminal.

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/ provides the
timetables of buses in Lombardy. It is however better to check on the
individual company sites.

I don't think a free shuttle bus running between two airport terminals
will show up in a timetable database.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

A Frecciarossa to Torino.

I see.

In retrospect I probably would have been better off with the Malpensa
- Torino bus even if I dislike long bus rides.

Or a direct flight to Torino :-)

It is rather inconvenient to go "back" to Milan which is in the opposite
direction w.r.t. Turin. Unfortunately any other connection will be more
adventurous ... like ...

Bus from MXP to Gallarate, then regional train to Rho, then regional
train to Turin (unless some Frecciarossa stops in Rho) ?

Train from MXP to Busto "FS" (a few trains from MXP go there, note it is
not Busto "FNM") then as above.

Train from MXP to whatever intersection on the Novara line (most likely
will be Busto "FNM"), then train to Novara Nord, short walk to Novara FS
then regional train to Turin (I am not sure if any of the fast trains on
the new line go through Novara)

It's fairly common to have a cluster of hotels near a major airport.

Yes, except that Malpensa is an aborted major airport. And hotels I was
aware of were displaced towards Gallarate and the motorway. Case Nuove
was known in the press as a place become unpleasant to live after the
airport extension because of the noise.

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/

I don't think a free shuttle bus running between two airport terminals
will show up in a timetable database.

It depends on the kind of authorization it has from the Region. It is
unlikely that a shuttle inside the airport has stops outside !
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2016-02-23, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

You have to catch which train from Porta Garibaldi ? Long distance have
most moved back to Centrale (at least Italo).

A Frecciarossa to Torino.

I see.

In retrospect I probably would have been better off with the Malpensa
- Torino bus even if I dislike long bus rides.

Or a direct flight to Torino :-)

The airport closest to me with a direct Torino flight is Frankfurt. I could
have done that starting from Billund, but it would have cost me 12 times
more than what I ended up paying.

It's fairly common to have a cluster of hotels near a major airport.

Yes, except that Malpensa is an aborted major airport. And hotels I was
aware of were displaced towards Gallarate and the motorway.

How is it "aborted"? It's the second largest airport in Italy, as big
as Linate and Bergamo put together. It does seem like the major airport
in the region.

Some major infrastructure work (road? rail?) seemed to be going on around
the airport.

Case Nuove
was known in the press as a place become unpleasant to live after the
airport extension because of the noise.

People are still living there, though it's doesn't exactly look thriving
I did see a bakery and a couple of restaurants. Some of the houses might
have been abandoned, it can be hard to see with the outside blinds down.

There's a shuttlebus between the two terminals and it looks like there
are bus stops

In the end I shouldn't have worried. The stops were shown on a big board
at the terminal stop and 3 other passengers on the bus (i.e. half) were
also going to Case Nuove.

http://www.muoversi.regione.lombardia.it/planner/

I don't think a free shuttle bus running between two airport terminals
will show up in a timetable database.

It depends on the kind of authorization it has from the Region. It is
unlikely that a shuttle inside the airport has stops outside !

If it ran inside the airport, Terminal 2 passengers arriving by train
at Terminal 1 would have to check in there and go through security before
being shutlled to Terminal 2, which would defeat the point of having two
terminals.
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Yes, except that Malpensa is an aborted major airport. And hotels I was
aware of were displaced towards Gallarate and the motorway.

How is it "aborted"? It's the second largest airport in Italy, as big
as Linate and Bergamo put together. It does seem like the major
airport in the region.

It is an aborted hub, compare the flight it has now and it had some 10
years ago. Alitalia in all its various re-incarnations has always been
excessively romano-centric, has been unable to support a second
intercontinental hub in Italy, but has been quite able to discourage
other companies in doing it. Also an hub requires feeders, but feeders
require passengers. And no passengers will seriously fly from Turin,
Genoa, Bologna or Venice to Milan if they intend to come to Milan, while
those needing an intercontinental connection are too few. And they'd
prefer to fly to Paris, Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam. And the same
applies to the Milanese flying from much closer Linate.

Some major infrastructure work (road? rail?) ... around the airport.

It could be the extension or the railway to T2, the Y-junction, or
X-junction or Z-junction (I always forget). Or some additional
contested motorway ... the Region likes to build new motorways which
are too expensive and nobody takes (google for BreBeMi :-( ).

In the end I shouldn't have worried. The stops were shown on a big board
at the terminal stop and 3 other passengers on the bus (i.e. half) were
also going to Case Nuove.

Good for you. I am glad everything ran smoothly.

I don't think a free shuttle bus running between two airport terminals
will show up in a timetable database.

It depends on the kind of authorization it has from the Region. It is
unlikely that a shuttle inside the airport has stops outside !

If it ran inside the airport, Terminal 2 passengers arriving by train
at Terminal 1 would have to check in there and go through security before
being shutlled to Terminal 2, which would defeat the point of having two
terminals.

By "inside the airport" I did not mean "air-side" (i.e. inside the
security area). I just mean inside the premises belonging to SEA. I
remember the coaches from Milan do connect T1 and T2 (in fact if one
leaves from T2, and early, the coach is more conveniente than the
train).

The point of having two terminals is historical. T2 is the old airport
terminal in use until ~2000, and T1 is the new "MXP 2000".