Train or Drive - Austria in Winter.

Old December 31st, 2003, 10:22 PM
devil

Default Train or Drive - Austria in Winter.

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:18:34 +0000, Kurt wrote:

Driving a rented BMW in Central Europe? I would
have all your anti-theft insurance lined up
properly and make contingencies in case it gets
ripped off. Your car won't last long parked on
the street in Prague or Budapest.

Presumably the original poster is aware that, typically, cars rented in
Western Europe, including Germany and Austria, cannot be taken to Eastern
European countries?

(And for Mercedes, BMW and the like, not even into Italy.)

Incidentally, I don't think there is a BMW 310. Starts at 316, then 318
etc.

"Andy" wrote in message ...
My wife our two kids ages 8 and 10 and I are going to Vienna, Austria for 6
days in mid February 2003. During our stay I am considering driving to see
areas in Hungary, Slovakia and possibly the Czech republic. We would also
like to take a day trip to Salzburg. (There is no way we can do all of
this, so we will have to choose the best prospects soon.)

Some of our friends recommend that we use the train instead. I suspect with
four people and the short stay the cost difference will not be a significant
factor. ($570 USD for a BMW 310 for a week with snow tires)

So here are the questions:
How hard is it to drive in Central Europe in the Winter?
Does anyone have any must see destinations close to Vienna that they can
recommend that are open in February?
Are the border crossings difficult?

Thanks for your help.

Andy