Alaska - Inside Passage - Balcony Best On Right Or Left Side Of Ship?

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Tommy M

Default Alaska - Inside Passage - Balcony Best On Right Or Left Side Of Ship?

When leaving from Seattle to do the Inside Passage is it preferable to
have your balcony cabin on either the left (port) or right (starboard)
side? In other words is one side better than the other for best
viewing?

Thank you.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
D Ball

When leaving from Seattle to do the Inside Passage is it
preferable to have your balcony cabin on either the left
(port) or right (starboard) side? In other words is one
side better than the other for best viewing?

Thank you.

Conventional wisdom favors the starboard side of the ship
because you can see the gorgeous landscape (and watch for
bears and other wildlife) throughout your transit, but there
are many islands to the port side of the passage, as well.
Regardless of which side you choose, you'll probably want to
get out on deck for glacier viewing.

We used our (starboard side) balcony on our Alaska cruise
more than we've ever used a balcony on a tropical cruise.
Enjoy!

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

RCI Mariner =96 E Carib =96 Holidays 03
RCI Serenade =96 Transatlantic =96 Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess =96 Mex Riviera =96 Holidays 02
Dawn Princess =96 Alaska =96 July 02
NCL Star =96 Hawaii =96 June 02
RCI Rhapsody =96 W Carib =96 Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
RCI Explorer =96 E Carib =96 Holidays 00
NCL Sea =96 W Carib =96 Holidays 99
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:37 PM
Marlinmike

If your port of departure is Seattle your best bet would be the starboard
side of the ship because the only time it makes a difference is when you
first depart and that way you'll at least see the city. You'll also see the
cities along the Puget Sound ie: Edmonds, Mulilteo, Everett and Whidbey
Island. At least that's the way it was on the Star Princess last Sept.
Once you get out in the Straits of Juan DeFuca there isn't much to see and
you'll then go along the west side of Vancouver Island for all of the 1st
full day. If you're expecting "Inside Passage" you should check on this,
because I think most of Seattle is outside Vancouver Island (open sea) and
departures from Vancouver, BC are "inside passage". Once you're north of
Vancouver Island and into inside waters it doesn't matter which side you're
on, the ship goes both ways.

"D Ball" wrote in message
When leaving from Seattle to do the Inside Passage is it
preferable to have your balcony cabin on either the left
(port) or right (starboard) side? In other words is one
side better than the other for best viewing?

Thank you.

Conventional wisdom favors the starboard side of the ship
because you can see the gorgeous landscape (and watch for
bears and other wildlife) throughout your transit, but there
are many islands to the port side of the passage, as well.
Regardless of which side you choose, you'll probably want to
get out on deck for glacier viewing.

We used our (starboard side) balcony on our Alaska cruise
more than we've ever used a balcony on a tropical cruise.
Enjoy!

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

RCI Mariner - E Carib - Holidays 03
RCI Serenade - Transatlantic - Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess - Mex Riviera - Holidays 02
Dawn Princess - Alaska - July 02
NCL Star - Hawaii - June 02
RCI Rhapsody - W Carib - Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
RCI Explorer - E Carib - Holidays 00
NCL Sea - W Carib - Holidays 99