Climbing Kili

Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Rub1sco

Default Climbing Kili

Hi all,

I'm about to book up a climb of Kilimanjaro, and I've spent a while firing
off e-mails to all the usual operators. What kind of thing should I be
looking for in a decent climb operator? I've been told to look out for ones
which are TATO, TTB registered, or have a TALA licence, how can I check
these out?

One of the companies i've come across is GMTanzania
(http://www.gmtanzania.co.tz). Has anyone done tours with these guys
before. I'm particularly interested in how they compare to Africa Travel
Resource who seem to get decent write-ups from everyone.

Other than these two, any other mid-range recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Old August 5th, 2004, 09:28 AM
jhiker

I'm about to book up a climb of Kilimanjaro, and I've spent a while firing
off e-mails to all the usual operators. What kind of thing should I be
looking for in a decent climb operator? I've been told to look out for ones
which are TATO, TTB registered, or have a TALA licence, how can I check
these out?

You could check out the Tanzania Tourist Board website which lists
some of the more reputable operators.

I went through this whole rigmarole recently for a trip I'm
undertaking in February. I contacted around twenty operators directly
in either Arusha or Moshi and was pleasantly surprised by the
courteous and speedy responses I received.
Taking into consideration prices, itenerary and first-hand reports and
recommendations I have decided to book with 'Good Earth Tours'
(www.goodearthtours.com). They are well-established and have an
offices in both Texas and Tanzania. I have heard nothing but good
about this outfitter - check out some of the threads on the Lonely
Planet Thorn Tree - Africa branch.Also be aware that a minority of
operators are disreputable - they don't usually last long but often
change names - I would go with an established company.

Research the routes and look for an operator who'll take you on your
preferred choice - most are flexible - the Rongai route is a great
option if you don't want to be part of the herd as it's rarely
used.Make sure you understand what is and what isn't provided -
water/tents/meals, etc and be aware of the 'tipping' culture - this
will be on top of the quoted prices.Decide whether you're going to
arrive at Nairobi or Kili Intl - most outfitters will arrange transfer
to Moshi or Arusha at no extra cost.

Incidentally, I can recommend an excellent book on Kili which
describes all the routes, has recommendations on what to take along
and has guides to all the local towns - it's by Henry Stedman - called
'Kilimanjaro - a trekking guide' or something like that. Anyway, it's
in the Trailblazer Publications series and I got mine from Amazon -
it's been invaluable in planning the trip.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old August 10th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Rydale

I went last year with 'World Odyssey' who organised everything from the UK,
and were flexible and efficient.
On the ground we used 'The Africam Wlking Company' who were excellent, and
treated their staff veyr well on top!

Check out our trip at http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania/index.htm

Good luck.

om...

Old August 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
None

My wife and I just returned from Tanzania where we booked a Kili climb and
Serengeti safari with Roy Safaris. It is not the largest company, but they
were very good in all ways. Good vehicles, superb guides, good food, good
prices, etc.

My wife made it to the top. I got HAPE and had to be evacuated. In the face
of adversity the guides were on top of it with safety and courtesy of
primary concern. When I returned to town the entire office came in on an off
day to greet me and give condolences. We traveled with a group of 11
friends. Every person in the group was more than happy with Roy's company.
On Kili, and on safari, the guides were incredibly perceptive to the
environment and encyclopedias of information.

They do not have the best web page and are a bit slow on email responses,
but that is the nature of technology in much of Africa.

Have a great trip!

Old August 18th, 2004, 01:50 AM
ClimbHighSleepLow

Congrats on your decision to climb Kilimanjaro!

Be aware that I am a partner in a Kilimanjaro climbing company so my
views are clearly one-sided, but to narrow down the choices I suggest
you decide on a route first and then find the company that best suit
your budget and preferences.

Having climbed the most popular routes I vote for the Western Breach
route as the most spectacular and satisfying, especially if you camp
on the crater rim. All climbing is done during daylight hours and the
summit morning is a very pleasant 90 minute hike instead of the 7-hour
ordeal through the freezing cold and darkness of most other routes.
The summit success rate via the Breach is very high for many reasons.
I assume you are climbing in Jan-Feb or Jul-Oct when the Breach is
very do-able. I don't recommend it during the rainy months.

If you like the Breach, then you have narrowed down the choice of
companies considerably since few have the safety equipment necessary
to do the Breach. Next you should visit
http://www.hec.org/club/partners.htm to get an idea of which companies
are serious about porter care. And then you can go on from there.

For a clear description of the Western Breach route, you can go he
http://www.go-kili.com/westernbreach.htm

Good luck!
Eben