Lodging in Cabo San Lucas and nearby San Jose and La Paz.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Erik Lacitis

Default Lodging in Cabo San Lucas and nearby San Jose and La Paz.

Hello!

Six of us (two families) are flying to Cabo San Lucas this Christmas.
Reading the guidebooks, I'm thinking of spending the week in La Paz,
about a two hour drive from the Cabo San Lucas airport. Any
suggestions for lodging? Also, we're snorkelers (not scuba divers).
Any suggestions for best places? And any recommendations on car rental
agencies?

Thanks!

Erik in Seattle
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:12 AM
PETER PAN

Cabo San Lucas is like a US party town with singles' bars, congested
traffic and rowdy drinkers.

San Jose Del Cabo and La Paz are much greener and quieter resort
towns. San Jose has a long, clean and charming main street with loads
of good restaurants and Mexican shops. San Jose is definitely a nice
resort town with a lot of water recreations. La Paz is more like a
fishing town with snorkeling tours to the islands about 20 miles off
shore. La Paz has some long shopping streets but not as clean and
green as San Jose.

For families, I would recommend staying in San Jose and taking buses
or taxis to Cabo and La Paz for visits. There are good snorkeling
spots at the reefs right off the beach, below the scenic view point,
about 1 mile west of San Jose, right below the highway to Cabo. ALong
this highway there are many fine beaches and restaurants. There are a
lot of surfers on those beaches so you can easily find the right
spots.

The road from Cabo to La Paz is a narrow 2-lane road through open
desert with no shoulder, barely enough room for 2 cars to avoid each
other. The probability for accidents is high, and it may take a long
time for any help to arrive for any assistance. Buses between
Cabo/San jose to La Paz run many times a day. They are cheap, safe
and comfortable.

Most US Car Rental companies have branches everywhere in Baja. You
can get much better rates searching and booking through the internet
than local reservations.