Need for a Tour Leader in Paris France Be Welcome.

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Richard

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
TourLeader writes:

You are always critizing me ........

Always? How long has this thread been here?

Yes. Always. Because TourLeader only started posting in rec.travel.europe at
the beginning of this thread, "always" - in the context of this exchange -
does not extend any further into the past than does this thread itself.

Stop talking then, prove what you say.

That would not prove what I say.

By "talking," he doesn't mean whatever your dictionary says it means.
Perhaps a more blunt word would have been "bull****ting." What he means to
say is: stop evading the issue and prove what you've already said.

You don't talk if you can prove what you say ?

I don't understand this.

He said "can" instead of "can't." What he means is this: Why don't you
respond when you realise that you can't support your argument anymore?

It all comes down to the fact that you expect everyone to read things for
their literal meaning and only their literal meaning but the rest of the
world has this knack of adding implicit meaning to their writing. Sometimes,
what people write may not make any sense at all if you fail to delve beyond
the literal - and that's where your comprehension problems arise.

Richard

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:07:56 +0200, martin wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:42:32 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:14:20 +0200, Stanislas de Kertanguy wrote:

Anybody like you is not welcome in the French National Education.

So? I'm not sure I'd want to be counted among those who are, from what
I've seen.

You are not only under-educated, you're also jealous.

Don't be cruel to a computer program, Stanislas. ;-)

Stanislas is a novice at using Mixi, wait until Stanislas has operated
him for few months.

Useful topics for Stanislas to discuss/steer clear of ...

Size of broom cupboards in Paris
How it's possible to have a microwave cooker & several PCs and Servers
in a broom cupboard but not be able to cook a simple nutritious meal
because of lack of space.

How all French CEOs have the same income as those living in the third
world.

How to get about Paris using only a GPS and coordinates.

Uselessness of digital cameras.

How to make a living by selling sunset photos as sunrise photos.

Using a sig. to advertise.

Living on junk food cases obesity

Why Mixi lives exclusively on junk food.

Why living on junk food is cheaper than living on a simple healthy
diet.

Why posting 24/24 to rtu is more important to him than spending 10
minutes preparing a nutritious meal

Why Mixi hates Germans ...

Total lack of English speaking French natives.

Total lack of fat French native females.

Poor quality of French meat.

Why Marie solicits impoverished expat Americans in a back street off
Pigalle.

LOL!
A varied array of topics, but he does need a new subject database.
--
Tim C.
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:08:55 +0200, martin wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:39:26 +0100, Keith Anderson
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:19:20 +0200,
(Stanislas de Kertanguy) wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote:

Mixi's a law unto himself and a failure of the Turing test.

I'd like to have a real face to face discussion with him anyway.

You'll have to find him first. Hint: take a wander through the
allotments outside Paris. Find the alien spacecraft disguised as a
wooden shed and you' could be in luck.

There's always a chance that the Tardis will land unexpectedly.

Scene 23 Exterior, Day.

An allotment outside Paris.

The Tardis lands, and the DOCTOR and his nubile ASSISTANT cautiously
emerge from the door.

DOCTOR: Wrap up well, m'dear, he has a liking for young ladies.

ASSISTANT: Less of the m'dear if you don't mind.

DOCTOR: Sorry, it's what they used to say on Earth in the 1950s.

ASSISTANT: This place looks as if it's in the 1950s. What a mess! Look
at all those manky half-eaten carrots! Has the place been overrun by
rabbits or something?

DOCTOR: No, he's just been experimenting with fresh food and doesn't
like it. Look at the pile of polystyrene containers over there! Pizza
Express, McDonald's, Charcuterie-U-Like - that's how he keeps himself
alive. That and the atmosphere behind the airlock.

ASSISTANT: Yukk! If all he's been eating is that sort of thing, the
atmosphere in there must be vile.

DOCTOR: It's just as well there aren't that many takeaway curry houses
in France, otherwise it'd be much, much worse. But he can survive in a
normal atmosphere for a short while.

ASSISTANT: Oh No! He's.....he's coming out!

(The Myxoid emerges from the wooden hut)

THE MYXOID: Ah. The Doctor. We meet at last, although I must
apologise for being somewhat inexperienced in relationships with
humans - or Time Lords.

DOCTOR: Why are you persecuting Torlida?

THE MYXOID: Do you have any evidence for that statement from a
trusted, traceable source?

DOCTOR: Yes. I have pages and pages of transcripts here from RTE. Does
your pedantry know no boundaries?

THE MYXOID: Pedantry? Perhaps you should search your inner self,
Doctor. I merely make statements. It is your value judgement that it
is pedantry, nothing more, nothing less.

ASSISTANT: But all these RTE posts.................

THE MYXOID: RTE? It's not the Internet you know.....

THE DOCTOR: Don't engage him in argument m'dear - oops
sorry.....you'll never win. He'll just drive you crazy.

THE MYXOID: Hah! A typical product of the Intergalactic Public School
system! With all your certificates in Time Travel and Advanced
Zoranian Physics, you don't know me and you never will!

ASSISTANT: Look out, Doctor! The antennae on his head are glowing!

DOCTOR: Quck, back to the Tardis! Run, run, your sanity depends on
it...............

Old April 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:08:55 +0200, martin wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:39:26 +0100, Keith Anderson

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Keith Anderson wrote:

[]
Scene 23 Exterior, Day.

An allotment outside Paris.

[...]

applause

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Keith Anderson wrote:

[]
Scene 23 Exterior, Day.

An allotment outside Paris.

[...]

applause

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Mxsmanic

Stanislas de Kertanguy writes:

So the only clue you can offer us is your on-dits.

My what?

Wonderful. I'd like something more documented, for
example an OSCE study.

I guess you'll be disappointed.

You are insulting thousands of people.

I'm telling the truth. I'm sorry if the truth hurts. Everything I've
seen thus far indicates that a French degree in English isn't even worth
the paper on which it's printed.

And I doubt you ever met a Capesian or Agrégé.

I have met several; they are not uncommon in this line of work.

Yes they can.

No, they cannot. I have yet to see an example of one who has.

I don't want to brag but I think I am an example of
somebody who is able to communicate in English.

You can communicate, but not with the high level of accuracy or
efficiency that one would expect from a good education in English.

All my English was learned through the FNE, my numerous trips
to England and my readings.

Ah ... numerous trips to England? Reading? So it wasn't just public
education, was it?

You are not only under-educated, you're also jealous.

No, I'm amused. French education seems to be well ensconced in a very
isolated ivory tower. It is _vastly_ overrated in many domains ...
particularly languages.

So restrain from calling yourself an "English Teacher" - unless you can
tell us where you teach, you are wrongfully assuming this title, and you
should be aware that it's an offence in France if you do this towards
public authorities.

I teach English, therefore I am an English teacher. I don't need your
permission to say this. And it's not an offence in France to say it to
anyone.

People who feel threatened often resort to censorship. You'll note that
I don't resort to censorship.

Well I'll be happy to know where you "teach".

I guess you'll be disappointed.

And I maintain what I wrote: it's not a speculation. I say that
people who work in institutes similar to the Wall Street Institute
do not deserve the title of English Teacher. Trainers at best.

Same thing.

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Mxsmanic

Deep Foiled Malls writes:

You might consider it being paid to communicate, but others would
think of a tour as an experience.

What sort of experience is a tour if you cannot communicate?

If TourLeader is energetic, charming and entertaining, I would
imagine people would not care less about him making the occasional
slip-up with prepositions or whatever.

If he's a nightclub performer, that might be true. But people don't pay
tour guides to be energetic, charming, or entertaining--they pay them to
help see a specific tour destination.

Why be so
elitist about communication when the needs of clients are being well
served?

In the absence of communication, their needs are not being served.
Communication is of the essence of this job.