Cunard - NON-CROSSING - Formal dress every night say in the Med for10-14 days? Or No?

Old March 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jeffcoud

Default Cunard - NON-CROSSING - Formal dress every night say in the Med for10-14 days? Or No?

Just curious -- was looking at a sailing of the Queen Victoria in the
Mediterranean this September and wondered what the Cunard dress code
would be on a 12 day cruise? I know the crossings are formal every
night, but are the cruises? Anyone know?? Was a very nice looking
sailing actually.

Jeff
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/18/10 9:06 PM, jeffcoud wrote:
Just curious -- was looking at a sailing of the Queen Victoria in the
Mediterranean this September and wondered what the Cunard dress code
would be on a 12 day cruise? I know the crossings are formal every
night, but are the cruises? Anyone know?? Was a very nice looking
sailing actually.

Jeff

No, crossings aren't formal every night. Some (like about half) are
semi formal. But on semi formal nights, men do need jackets. So it's
jacket every night... but not formal every night.

--Tom
Old March 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Tom K plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/18/2010 10:57 PM:
On 3/18/10 9:06 PM, jeffcoud wrote:
Just curious -- was looking at a sailing of the Queen Victoria in the
Mediterranean this September and wondered what the Cunard dress code
would be on a 12 day cruise? I know the crossings are formal every
night, but are the cruises? Anyone know?? Was a very nice looking
sailing actually.

Jeff

No, crossings aren't formal every night. Some (like about half) are
semi formal. But on semi formal nights, men do need jackets. So it's
jacket every night... but not formal every night.

--Tom

That is not the case on the Crown Princess I am sailing on in May. I
just got this information. There are 3 formal nights on this cruise.
The other days are referred to as Smart Casual and pants and open-neck
shirts for men are what is suggested for men.. I'm mentioning this
because not all cruise lines have the same dress codes. Best thing to
do is check with your cruise line, or ask your travel agent..

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old March 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Brian K plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/19/2010 1:25 AM:
[...]

I just obtained this information from Cunnard's web site:

Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or
other formal attire for ladies. (A range of gentleman’s formal wear is
available to hire or purchase onboard ship).

Semiformal: Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit
for ladies. No jeans.

Elegant Casual: Jacket, no tie required for gentlemen. Dress, skirt or
trousers for ladies. No shorts or jeans.

--
________

Old March 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:25:48 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

That is not the case on the Crown Princess I am sailing on in May.

Hi Brian,

Jeff was specifically asking about Cunard (see subject). Crown
Princess is not a Cunard ship.
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Mar 18, 6:06*pm, jeffcoud wrote:
Just curious -- was looking at a sailing of the Queen Victoria in the
Mediterranean this September and wondered what the Cunard dress code
would be on a 12 day cruise? *I know the crossings are formal every
night, but are the cruises? *Anyone know?? *Was a very nice looking
sailing actually.

Jeff

Cunard seemed to adhere mostly to the "formal on sea days" "less
formal on port days and first and last nights" on our crossing in '08
and our little 3 night last year. ...except the middle night on the
crossing was "optional formal" However, they did seem to mostly
ignore their middle "semi-formal" designation ...with jacket always
required for all three, as Tom notes. So, yes Cunard DOES tend to
formal, but respects the traditional casual-ish code on port/first/
last nights ...midday departure - your guess is as good as mine.

Although they just announced an e-ticket only policy, they did still
claim to send the personlaized pre-sail info packet a few weeks before
departure, which should have the dress code schedule, IIRC.

Bon Voyage!
Mark
Old March 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

wrote:

That is not the case on the Crown Princess I am sailing on in May.

Hi Brian,

Jeff was specifically asking about Cunard (see subject). Crown
Princess is not a Cunard ship.

Ray Goldenberg

Brian already pointed this out. He was simply showing the difference
between other cruise lines. For example, on our upcoming voyage on the
Star Princess, we have 3 formal, and 15 casual nights, with 4 days
crossing the Atlantic. Therefore, let's not try to regulate or censor
what others say in their threads, unless of course, it is totally off
topic.

Very good, John, to pick this up and show Ray what a idiot he makes of
himself. Notice he blames Brian for not noting Jeff was asking about
Cunard, but in his eagerness to score Ray himself doesn't note that Jeff
wrote "best thing to do is check with your cruise line.." showing he
certainly was aware of the fact that Crown Princess is not a Cunard
ship. You really wonder why people would book cruises with such an
arrogant person.

Old March 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Mar 19, 9:15*am, peter wrote:

Dear dick - oops, Peter...

I've used Ray because he knows what he's doing and delivers great
service.
Why I would pay attention to his posts vs. a blowhard like yourself
should be self-evident.

Mark
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jeffcoud

Well ummm, no answer to my actual question here thus far, lol,
although Mark came darn close!

The cruise (not crossing) has one sea day, it's 100% in the
Mediterranean. So since only one sea day maybe not so many actual
formal nights? BUT, it sounds like its quite possible the other
nights are "jacket required", or more or less "expected", which means
I'd have to lug a blue blazer, which isn't too bad. Of course,
everyone on the boat will be several decades older than me is my
guess, lol...but not my Mom, so maybe one of us can pick up a rich old
man, lol.... For Mom, sticking with a lot of interchangeable black
outfits with various accessories would probably work.

Does Cunard have laundromats I wonder??

Ok....time to go explore this more now...

Jeff

Old March 20th, 2010, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Mar 19, 5:52*pm, jeffcoud wrote:
Well ummm, no answer to my actual question here thus far, lol,
although Mark came darn close!

The cruise (not crossing) has one sea day, it's 100% in the
Mediterranean. *So since only one sea day maybe not so many actual
formal nights? *BUT, it sounds like its quite possible the other
nights are "jacket required", or more or less "expected", which means
I'd have to lug a blue blazer, which isn't too bad. *Of course,
everyone on the boat will be several decades older than me is my
guess, lol...but not my Mom, so maybe one of us can pick up a rich old
man, lol.... *For Mom, sticking with a lot of interchangeable black
outfits with various accessories would probably work.

Does Cunard have laundromats I wonder??

Ok....time to go explore this more now...

Jeff

Jeff, I remembered our QE2 Med trip in 2008 and they didn't have any
formal nights on port days - although there were sufficient sea days
to satisfy their formal quota (however unofficial). I still can't see
Cunard settling for only one formal night on a 12 night cruise,
though. Do you have any early afternoon departures (or possibly
midday arrivals)? If so, I'm certain they'll slide in 1-2 extra formal
nights on those days. In any event, you'll need the blazer (which is
always a good thing to travel with anyway).

Yes, the QV does have laundromats. A 2008 Cunard brochure claims that
they're complimentary, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's no longer
true.

Mark