Google Earth, a must!

Old August 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM
BillRoddy

Default Google Earth, a must!

This is a little know part of Google. A view of the world you have never
seen before. From Google:
"Welcome to Google Earth! With Google Earth, your computer becomes a window
to anywhere on the planet, viewing high-resolution aerial and satellite
imagery, elevation terrain, road and street labels, business listings, and
more."

For example type in Juneau AK and you descend to the city and port.
To get started I recommend you select View Full Screen, then Play Tour. A
fantastic journey.
Download program at:

http://earth.google.com/

Bill

Old August 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
BillRoddy

Thank you, Karen.
Bill

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:24:48 -0700, BillRoddy wrote:

This is a little know part of Google. A view of the world you have never
seen before. From Google:
"Welcome to Google Earth! With Google Earth, your computer becomes a window
to anywhere on the planet, viewing high-resolution aerial and satellite
imagery, elevation terrain, road and street labels, business listings, and
more."

For example type in Juneau AK and you descend to the city and port.
To get started I recommend you select View Full Screen, then Play Tour. A
fantastic journey.
Download program at:

http://earth.google.com/

Bill

Careful with the newest version, people have trouble with it, buggy.
--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." -Zappa
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Karen Selwyn

I would probably share your enthusiasm if I had not seen a segment on
one of the news programs. The news segment showed that the high
resolution aerial views includes phenomenal views of all our military
bases in Iraq, etc. Soldiers are discovering their security has been
compromised, and they are not pleased.

Google Earth spokesmen have defended their actions saying all the
information in the program is available through public sources. While
I'm sure that's true, I would have preferred that information that could
jeopardize the lives of our military not be served up on a silver
platter. No matter what any of us thinks about the war itself, I'm sure
we all agree that the safety of our soldiers is something that ought to
be vigorously protected!

Karen Selwyn

Old August 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
mrtravel

Karen Selwyn wrote:
I would probably share your enthusiasm if I had not seen a segment on
one of the news programs. The news segment showed that the high
resolution aerial views includes phenomenal views of all our military
bases in Iraq, etc. Soldiers are discovering their security has been
compromised, and they are not pleased.

Google Earth spokesmen have defended their actions saying all the
information in the program is available through public sources. While
I'm sure that's true, I would have preferred that information that could
jeopardize the lives of our military not be served up on a silver
platter. No matter what any of us thinks about the war itself, I'm sure
we all agree that the safety of our soldiers is something that ought to
be vigorously protected!

This makes as much sense as the higher chance for extra screening of
people that buy one way plane tickets, as if the terrorist aren't
capable of buying round trip tickets. The only thing this does is
penalize the non-terrorists.

If the information is publicly available, then terrorists would be able
to find it with, or without the aid of Google Earth. There are non US
satellites in space capable of such pictures.
The attacks on US soldiers are not coming at military bases, they are
happening in public areas.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "BillRoddy" :

This is a little know part of Google. A view of the world you have never
seen before. From Google:
"Welcome to Google Earth! With Google Earth, your computer becomes a window
to anywhere on the planet, viewing high-resolution aerial and satellite
imagery, elevation terrain, road and street labels, business listings, and
more."

For example type in Juneau AK and you descend to the city and port.
To get started I recommend you select View Full Screen, then Play Tour. A
fantastic journey.
Download program at:

http://earth.google.com/

Bill

Bill, very old news. It's been out for about 6 weeks, now.

--
dillon

Pain is Nature's way of saying "that was stupid"
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Karen Selwyn :

I would probably share your enthusiasm if I had not seen a segment on
one of the news programs. The news segment showed that the high
resolution aerial views includes phenomenal views of all our military
bases in Iraq, etc. Soldiers are discovering their security has been
compromised, and they are not pleased.

Google Earth spokesmen have defended their actions saying all the
information in the program is available through public sources. While
I'm sure that's true, I would have preferred that information that could
jeopardize the lives of our military not be served up on a silver
platter. No matter what any of us thinks about the war itself, I'm sure
we all agree that the safety of our soldiers is something that ought to
be vigorously protected!

If Google didn't do it, somebody else would.

I wanted some pictures of Groom Lake a few years back. Landsat
wouldn't/couldn't sell them, so I bought them from the Russians, for
about 1/3 of what Landsat was selling it's pictures for.

You really think the bad guys don't already have this information?

Karen Selwyn

Old August 12th, 2005, 01:49 AM
mrtravel

Dillon Pyron wrote:
Thus spake "BillRoddy" :

This is a little know part of Google. A view of the world you have never
seen before. From Google:
"Welcome to Google Earth! With Google Earth, your computer becomes a window
to anywhere on the planet, viewing high-resolution aerial and satellite
imagery, elevation terrain, road and street labels, business listings, and
more."

For example type in Juneau AK and you descend to the city and port.
To get started I recommend you select View Full Screen, then Play Tour. A
fantastic journey.
Download program at:

http://earth.google.com/

Bill

Bill, very old news. It's been out for about 6 weeks, now.

And pre-Google Keyhole has had free demos of it for quite some time.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Karen Selwyn

mrtravel wrote:

This makes as much sense as the higher chance for extra screening of
people that buy one way plane tickets, as if the terrorist aren't
capable of buying round trip tickets. The only thing this does is
penalize the non-terrorists.

First, let's start with what's "this" as in "The only thing this
does..."? Surely, Google Earth can exist without high resolution images
of military bases.

If the information is publicly available, then terrorists would be able
to find it with, or without the aid of Google Earth. There are non US
satellites in space capable of such pictures.
The attacks on US soldiers are not coming at military bases, they are
happening in public areas.

If you look at the example of 9/11, you'll understand the point I'm
making. Prior to 9/11, an FBI agent recognized the unusually high
incidence of Arabs taking flying lessons and wrote a memo speculating
that the reason for this activity was a potential terrorist strike. We
all know that this memo was sadly ignored.

If high resolution images of military bases aerial were obtained only
with some effort and people who wanted to view these images could do so
only by making a formal documented request, I would hope that any trends
would be noticed and -- this time -- acted upon. Instead, Google Earth
serves up useful images for planning attacks in the privacy of one's
home in a manner than leaves a trace only with some effort. Why make
life easier for people intent on doing harm?

Does Google Earth keep track of the email addresses accessing the
military sites? Does Google Earth plan to turn the the information about
the military site inquiries to Homeland Security (to name one example)
for analysis? Can you say "rhetorical questions"?

As for your assertion that attacks on US soldiers are not coming at
military bases, the soldiers interviewed for the news segment directly
contradict your claim. I can think of no more authoritative source.

Karen Selwyn

Old August 12th, 2005, 02:05 AM
mrtravel

Karen Selwyn wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

This makes as much sense as the higher chance for extra screening of
people that buy one way plane tickets, as if the terrorist aren't
capable of buying round trip tickets. The only thing this does is
penalize the non-terrorists.

First, let's start with what's "this" as in "The only thing this
does..."? Surely, Google Earth can exist without high resolution images
of military bases.

Surely terrorist don't need Google Earth to get these images.

If the information is publicly available, then terrorists would be
able to find it with, or without the aid of Google Earth.

There are
non US satellites in space capable of such pictures.

LOL.. If you say so. Why do you think non US satellites don't have this
capability? Is the US the only country with hi res camera knowledge?

I guess there are also no high res cameras on ISS either.

And even if no other country has this technology, the pictures have
still been publicly distributed far beyond Google Earth. If the US Govt
were that concerned about it, they wouldn't give access to the pictures.

The attacks on US soldiers are not coming at military bases, they are
happening in public areas.

If you look at the example of 9/11, you'll understand the point I'm
making.

How Did Keyhole's affect 9/11

Prior to 9/11, an FBI agent recognized the unusually high
incidence of Arabs taking flying lessons and wrote a memo speculating
that the reason for this activity was a potential terrorist strike. We
all know that this memo was sadly ignored.

What is "unusually high"?
If a couple of hispanic university students started a flying club and
got 20 people to take lessons in one area, would that be "unusually
high"? What does this have to do with Google Earth?

If high resolution images of military bases aerial were obtained only
with some effort

What is this "some effort"? These picture are avaibable in many ways and
not just in jurisdictions controled by the FBI.