HK New Year fireworks

Old November 26th, 2003, 02:39 AM
quixote

Default HK New Year fireworks

Does anyone have information on the starting/finishing times of the firework
displays on Jan 23rd 2004 in Hong Kong? It's just that I've got a 23:45
flight out of the island, and I don't want to be watching the celebrations
from the airport, so may need to change flights...

TIA.

Old November 26th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:39:49 -0000, "quixote"
wrote:

Does anyone have information on the starting/finishing times of the firework
displays on Jan 23rd 2004 in Hong Kong? It's just that I've got a 23:45
flight out of the island, and I don't want to be watching the celebrations
from the airport, so may need to change flights...

If I remember correctly, it usually starts at 8pm and lasts about 30
minutes. You should be able to find a location along the waterfront in
Central which is also close to the Airport Express station. You can
check in for your flight any time during the day and then just catch a
train to the airport when its over. Be aware that thousands of others
also congregate to watch, and it can take a long time for the crowds
to dissipate from the area afterwards.

Old November 26th, 2003, 11:56 AM
patshambler

From my memory, it does indeed start at 8pm and lasts about half an hour.
However, I would suggest you view them from the promenade along the Kowloon
side, along the foreshore at Tsim Sha Tsui which stretches eastwards from
the Kowloon Star Ferry Terminal. The view is more spectacular here with the
backdrop of the skyscrapers and the fireworks. Of course it would depend on
how quickly the crowd dissipates in order for you to reach Kowloon MTR
station or Hong Kong MTR station to catch the Airport Express.

If you are flying Cathay Pacific, might I suggest checking in in advance (if
possible at the Hong Kong or Kowloon MTR stations) or at the in-town office,
leaving you ample time to view the fireworks and then take the train to the
airport (25 minutes at most from Hong Kong MTR station to the Airport). I'm
not sure what the procedure is, but I am sure that they do exist. However,
if it is with another airline, well, you might just have to dash.