Mazatlan & diving

Old June 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Wayne Dernoncourt

Default Mazatlan & diving

My in-laws have a timeshare in Mazatlan and they've invited us to stay
for about a week with them. Valerie wants to go diving. Marilyn says
that Mazatlan is safe and from what I've been able to find out on the
web, as long as you don't go looking for trouble, we'll be fine.

Any recommendations for a dive operator?

BTW, UNEXSO in Freeport was terrific.

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.scuba.locations
Tim McDonough

Wayne Dernoncourt writes:

My in-laws have a timeshare in Mazatlan and they've invited us to stay
for about a week with them. Valerie wants to go diving. Marilyn says
that Mazatlan is safe and from what I've been able to find out on the
web, as long as you don't go looking for trouble, we'll be fine.

Any recommendations for a dive operator?

BTW, UNEXSO in Freeport was terrific.

My wife and I did a Panama Canal cruise over Xmas/NY 2009-2010 and I worked
to make us scuba diving reservation in most of the ports of call. Mazatlan
was one of those ports. The reservation I made were via:

* Mazatlan, Mexico (January 5th)
http://www.mazatlantours.org/mazatlan-scuba-diving.htm

which is basically the dive shop with the El Cid Castilla. You can see some
of our scuba/underater pictures at the beginning of the album
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1079452642295.10324.1705670572&l=c920ca5c5c

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend diving in Mazatlan. As I wrote in the album:

"Before the cruise I had been in contact with Mazatlan Tours
http://www.mazatlantours.org/mazatlan-scuba-diving.htm and they convinced
me that due to the poor diving condition in Mazatlan that I should just
pre-pay for one tank dives and if we wanted a second we could arrange that on
site. As it turned out, after one (long and cool) dive we'd seen enough.
Why is it that when the DM wears gloves everything underwater looks like
something to be touched? Goes counter to the saying "Take only pictures,
leave only bubbles" if you ask me..."

The details of our single dive:
Eagle's Head, Mazatlan, Mexico - water temp of 73F - 67 minutes of bottom
time - 36 feet max depth

I wish I had better news to report, but sadly Mazatlan just isn't a place
known for its diving (shallow and murky)...

-Tim
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.scuba.locations
Wayne Dernoncourt

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:46:33 -0400, Tim McDonough wrote
(in article ):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...05670572&l=c92

[...]

I'm glad I found out about from somewhere who's been there rather than
for myself. On our last trip, we went snorkeling at the stop before scuba
diving, I told one guy that was just itching to touch the coral that he
really shouldn't do that because he could kill it.

Old November 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.scuba.locations
Wayne Dernoncourt

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:46:33 -0500, Tim McDonough wrote
(in article ):

Wayne Dernoncourt writes:

[...]

Back from MZT (a couple of weeks ago)
We ended up signing up for a cruise on a catamaran. We were told they
would take us to a spot for snorkeling. Our in-laws wanted to go sailing
which was fine by us. The catamaran was broke so we went on a tri-maran.
Also on board was a bunch of firemen on vacation. A half-dozen of the
firemen ended up drinking rum straight from a cup...

We did go anchor at Deer Island for swimming. We couldn't see more than
two feet in the water, snorkeling was pointless. On the other hand body
surfing and using a boogie board at the resort was great fun. I also bought
an underwater camera from Amazon for about $50, it's supposed to be
good down to 130'. I'm happy if it goes to 60' as long as it takes images
at least comparable to the disposable dive cameras that go to 40' I'm
happy.