A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Cruises
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Recommendations - the perfect climate?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Eileen Garland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

What's your idea of a perfect climate? Do you like hot weather, cold
weather, rainy, dry, breezy?

Eileen

strawberry icecream wrote:

I was wondering where in the world posters would recommend for the perfect
climate?

This would also include having little danger of hurricanes, volcanic
activity, earthquakes, etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA


  #2  
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Howie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?



strawberry icecream wrote:

Eileen Garland wrote in
:


What's your idea of a perfect climate? Do you like hot weather, cold
weather, rainy, dry, breezy?



hi, Eileen.

I am a fair skinned UK person...so I am not a massive fan of heat.

I guess mild summers and winters are what I seek......say no lower than 16
in winter and no higher than 27 or 28 in summer.

I do like a varaiation in temps across the day/evening..and seasons are
hard to beat.

I found in the caribbean that there is very little change in the seasons.


28C is pretty hot to me.

Howie

  #3  
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Eileen Garland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

Okay. For the Centigrade-impaired (I'm one and had to find a conversion
thingie), that would be a temp range of 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

I suppose that sounds most like coastal southern California to me,
though I don't think they get a lot of seasonal variation. Actually, I
don't think you could get much int he way of seasons with that narrow a
temp range.

Eileen

strawberry icecream wrote:
Eileen Garland wrote in
:


What's your idea of a perfect climate? Do you like hot weather, cold
weather, rainy, dry, breezy?



hi, Eileen.

I am a fair skinned UK person...so I am not a massive fan of heat.

I guess mild summers and winters are what I seek......say no lower than 16
in winter and no higher than 27 or 28 in summer.

I do like a varaiation in temps across the day/evening..and seasons are
hard to beat.

I found in the caribbean that there is very little change in the seasons.




  #5  
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Sylvia M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?


Actually, you can get beautiful Fall colors and a good bit of snow by
driving
50-100 miles (?? km), into the San Bernardino Mountains.

Sylvia

"Eileen Garland" wrote in message
...
Okay. For the Centigrade-impaired (I'm one and had to find a conversion
thingie), that would be a temp range of 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

I suppose that sounds most like coastal southern California to me,
though I don't think they get a lot of seasonal variation. Actually, I
don't think you could get much int he way of seasons with that narrow a
temp range.

Eileen

strawberry icecream wrote:
Eileen Garland wrote in
:


What's your idea of a perfect climate? Do you like hot weather, cold
weather, rainy, dry, breezy?



hi, Eileen.

I am a fair skinned UK person...so I am not a massive fan of heat.

I guess mild summers and winters are what I seek......say no lower than

16
in winter and no higher than 27 or 28 in summer.

I do like a varaiation in temps across the day/evening..and seasons are
hard to beat.

I found in the caribbean that there is very little change in the

seasons.






  #6  
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM
BTC/TAK on ACK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

...my dentist told me... the people on Madeira... were very cold.

I'd be more inclined to say or "formal", which can, of course, seem "cold",
but is an essentially different mind-set. My experience in Portuguese
influenced cultures has been the "reserved" style of the locals, and their
use of "old-fashioned manners" [especially in public] can be charming. It
takes a little time to get used to... especially for those of us used to the
more "gregarious" American style.

Mila

"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
...
Howie wrote in
:


strawberry icecream wrote:


the best areas seem to be Magnetic island off western australia..and
Madeira island off Portugal.


Been to Madeira. It is really lovely, but kind of dull.


Howie, I am glad that you said that...my dentist told me, a few weeks
ago, that he didn't like the people on Madeira.

He has been all over the world....but said that the folks on Madeira
were very cold.




But I always loved the idea of southern CA.


Weather is near perfect, but earthquakes and high prices are real
downside.


very true.

The west coast is so expensive compared to the east coast of the usa.

Funny enough, any tv travel program here in the UK, or magazine, ALWAYS
focuses on Florida.

And so many folks here are taken in.

Whewwww.....I would hate to be living in that heat and humidity.






  #7  
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Howie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

strawberry icecream wrote:
Howie wrote in
:


strawberry icecream wrote:



the best areas seem to be Magnetic island off western australia..and
Madeira island off Portugal.


Been to Madeira. It is really lovely, but kind of dull.



Howie, I am glad that you said that...my dentist told me, a few weeks
ago, that he didn't like the people on Madeira.

He has been all over the world....but said that the folks on Madeira
were very cold.


I didn't have any problem with the people on Madeira. When I said it
was dull, I meant that there didn't seem to be much to do. But it is
really unfair of me to make this observation because although I have
been there three times, it's only been for one day at a time, while my
ship was in port. In fact, on my first visit, all I did was sit in a
Funchal cafe and drink some really fine coffee.

Howie


But I always loved the idea of southern CA.


Weather is near perfect, but earthquakes and high prices are real
downside.



very true.

The west coast is so expensive compared to the east coast of the usa.

Funny enough, any tv travel program here in the UK, or magazine, ALWAYS
focuses on Florida.

And so many folks here are taken in.

Whewwww.....I would hate to be living in that heat and humidity.





  #8  
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Howie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

...my dentist told me... the people on Madeira... were very cold.



I'd be more inclined to say or "formal", which can, of course, seem "cold",
but is an essentially different mind-set. My experience in Portuguese
influenced cultures has been the "reserved" style of the locals, and their
use of "old-fashioned manners" [especially in public] can be charming. It
takes a little time to get used to... especially for those of us used to the
more "gregarious" American style.

Mila


Yes, on Madiera, the locals did seem rather "old-fashioned", but that
was not the case in that Azores, which seemed young, friendly, and hip.
My personal experience with folks in Lisbon, was not at all pleasant,
but there is really no way to generalize from one brief visit to a big city.

Howie



"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
...

Howie wrote in
:


strawberry icecream wrote:


the best areas seem to be Magnetic island off western australia..and
Madeira island off Portugal.

Been to Madeira. It is really lovely, but kind of dull.


Howie, I am glad that you said that...my dentist told me, a few weeks
ago, that he didn't like the people on Madeira.

He has been all over the world....but said that the folks on Madeira
were very cold.





But I always loved the idea of southern CA.

Weather is near perfect, but earthquakes and high prices are real
downside.


very true.

The west coast is so expensive compared to the east coast of the usa.

Funny enough, any tv travel program here in the UK, or magazine, ALWAYS
focuses on Florida.

And so many folks here are taken in.

Whewwww.....I would hate to be living in that heat and humidity.








  #9  
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

the... Azores... seemed young, friendly, and hip.
My personal experience with folks in Lisbon, was not at all pleasant...


I agree with your take on the Azores... but I notice you specify "young". I
was, in fact, a bit surprised by how "hip" the young folk seem [are?]. But,
on getting just the tiniest bit into "local" territory [even just as far as
that fantastic produce market, or shops not geared to tourists] the
not-so-young folks seem more "formal".

I've had really wonderful times in Lisbon, but I can imagine it feeling less
than "welcoming". I have the advantage of speaking practically no
Portuguese... and slaughtering the pronunciation of the little I dare try. I
think the fact that, by Portuguese standards, Lisbon is a big city, it has
some of that "big city attitude". I found enjoying their goofing on my
dreadful attempts at using their language was a great ice-breaker... and
usually resulted in their speaking back to me in more than fair English. In
fact, I was totally taken back recently, when visiting after not having been
to Lisbon in several years. I used to go to the same coffee shop every
morning during a month long visit a while back. The owner used to take
particular pleasure in making me order in Portuguese, then teasing me [in
fine English] in how silly I sounded. I went by for a coffee during my last
visit, and she [still there!] remarked that she wasn't surprised I still
hadn't learned a think about the language. I was very touched to be
remembered after such a long time. I also had the dubious pleasure of having
to use a city clinic [having developed pneumonia] during a visit there. I
was very impressed by how kind and helpful everyone was... even to finding
an English speaking doctor to see me. I have a hard time imagining that
happening in any major city here.

It also is a good idea to remember that they are, as a group, very "well
informed" people [notice that you rarely see anyone sitting alone in a cafe
without their nose stuck in a newspaper], have strong opinions, and, like
most Europeans, know waaaay more about our politics than we know about
theirs. I usually played "dumb" [not all that much of a stretch, I guess],
and never left a conversation without having learned something.

I hope you'll give Lisbon another try... I've found myself most welcome
there, by the way, in the kinds of places the fewest number of tourists
venture.

Mila


"Howie" wrote in message
...
BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

...my dentist told me... the people on Madeira... were very cold.



I'd be more inclined to say or "formal", which can, of course, seem

"cold",
but is an essentially different mind-set. My experience in Portuguese
influenced cultures has been the "reserved" style of the locals, and

their
use of "old-fashioned manners" [especially in public] can be charming.

It
takes a little time to get used to... especially for those of us used to

the
more "gregarious" American style.

Mila


Yes, on Madiera, the locals did seem rather "old-fashioned", but that
was not the case in that Azores, which seemed young, friendly, and hip.
My personal experience with folks in Lisbon, was not at all pleasant,
but there is really no way to generalize from one brief visit to a big

city.

Howie



"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
...

Howie wrote in
:


strawberry icecream wrote:

the best areas seem to be Magnetic island off western australia..and
Madeira island off Portugal.

Been to Madeira. It is really lovely, but kind of dull.

Howie, I am glad that you said that...my dentist told me, a few weeks
ago, that he didn't like the people on Madeira.

He has been all over the world....but said that the folks on Madeira
were very cold.





But I always loved the idea of southern CA.

Weather is near perfect, but earthquakes and high prices are real
downside.

very true.

The west coast is so expensive compared to the east coast of the usa.

Funny enough, any tv travel program here in the UK, or magazine, ALWAYS
focuses on Florida.

And so many folks here are taken in.

Whewwww.....I would hate to be living in that heat and humidity.










  #10  
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Howie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Recommendations - the perfect climate?

Of course you know much more about Portugal than I do, Nina. And I
would harly use my one day visit to Lisbon as a basis for making broad
generalizations. My experience was colored by a very difficult time
getting a cab at the pier to take me up to the castle, and an impossible
time getting a cab to take me anywhere from the castle. All of the
drivers were only interested in taking folks on a full day tour.
Apparently there is no enforcement of laws in Lisbon that require a cab
to take you where you want to go.

Howie

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:
the... Azores... seemed young, friendly, and hip.
My personal experience with folks in Lisbon, was not at all pleasant...



I agree with your take on the Azores... but I notice you specify "young". I
was, in fact, a bit surprised by how "hip" the young folk seem [are?]. But,
on getting just the tiniest bit into "local" territory [even just as far as
that fantastic produce market, or shops not geared to tourists] the
not-so-young folks seem more "formal".

I've had really wonderful times in Lisbon, but I can imagine it feeling less
than "welcoming". I have the advantage of speaking practically no
Portuguese... and slaughtering the pronunciation of the little I dare try. I
think the fact that, by Portuguese standards, Lisbon is a big city, it has
some of that "big city attitude". I found enjoying their goofing on my
dreadful attempts at using their language was a great ice-breaker... and
usually resulted in their speaking back to me in more than fair English. In
fact, I was totally taken back recently, when visiting after not having been
to Lisbon in several years. I used to go to the same coffee shop every
morning during a month long visit a while back. The owner used to take
particular pleasure in making me order in Portuguese, then teasing me [in
fine English] in how silly I sounded. I went by for a coffee during my last
visit, and she [still there!] remarked that she wasn't surprised I still
hadn't learned a think about the language. I was very touched to be
remembered after such a long time. I also had the dubious pleasure of having
to use a city clinic [having developed pneumonia] during a visit there. I
was very impressed by how kind and helpful everyone was... even to finding
an English speaking doctor to see me. I have a hard time imagining that
happening in any major city here.

It also is a good idea to remember that they are, as a group, very "well
informed" people [notice that you rarely see anyone sitting alone in a cafe
without their nose stuck in a newspaper], have strong opinions, and, like
most Europeans, know waaaay more about our politics than we know about
theirs. I usually played "dumb" [not all that much of a stretch, I guess],
and never left a conversation without having learned something.

I hope you'll give Lisbon another try... I've found myself most welcome
there, by the way, in the kinds of places the fewest number of tourists
venture.

Mila


"Howie" wrote in message
...

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:


...my dentist told me... the people on Madeira... were very cold.


I'd be more inclined to say or "formal", which can, of course, seem


"cold",

but is an essentially different mind-set. My experience in Portuguese
influenced cultures has been the "reserved" style of the locals, and


their

use of "old-fashioned manners" [especially in public] can be charming.


It

takes a little time to get used to... especially for those of us used to


the

more "gregarious" American style.

Mila


Yes, on Madiera, the locals did seem rather "old-fashioned", but that
was not the case in that Azores, which seemed young, friendly, and hip.
My personal experience with folks in Lisbon, was not at all pleasant,
but there is really no way to generalize from one brief visit to a big


city.

Howie



"strawberry icecream" wrote in message
...


Howie wrote in
:



strawberry icecream wrote:

the best areas seem to be Magnetic island off western australia..and
Madeira island off Portugal.

Been to Madeira. It is really lovely, but kind of dull.

Howie, I am glad that you said that...my dentist told me, a few weeks
ago, that he didn't like the people on Madeira.

He has been all over the world....but said that the folks on Madeira
were very cold.






But I always loved the idea of southern CA.

Weather is near perfect, but earthquakes and high prices are real
downside.

very true.

The west coast is so expensive compared to the east coast of the usa.

Funny enough, any tv travel program here in the UK, or magazine, ALWAYS
focuses on Florida.

And so many folks here are taken in.

Whewwww.....I would hate to be living in that heat and humidity.










 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendations for the perfect climate? Dave Smith USA & Canada 7 May 18th, 2004 05:22 PM
Recommendations - perfect climate? The Reids Europe 6 May 13th, 2004 03:44 PM
Recommendations for the perfect climate? Peter L USA & Canada 5 May 12th, 2004 07:29 PM
Recommendations for the perfect climate? Don USA & Canada 1 May 12th, 2004 06:43 AM
Recommendations - perfect climate? Frank F. Matthews Europe 15 May 11th, 2004 08:36 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.