New Zealand Iternary- Need Help!

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:42 PM
srinivas

Default New Zealand Iternary- Need Help!

I and my wife are planning to visit New Zealand in November from
Washington, DC. Here is the tentative plan, I need to know if this
MAKES sense:

Nov 22- Arrive Auckland (from LA)
Nov 23- Evening fly to Queenstown
Nov 24- relax in Queenstown
Nov 25- Milford Sound day trip (coach)
Nov 26- Queenstown to Fox (can I bypass Franz Josef- we are planning
to take the helicopter ride on one of the glaciers) (coach)
Nov 27- Fox Glacier to Greymouth (Coach)
Greymouth to Christchurch (TranzAlpine)
Nov 28- Evening flight to Wellington
Nov 29- Evening coach to Rotura
Nov 30- Evening coach to Auckland
Dec 1- Early morning (flight to Sydney)

If we are pressed for time, we will skip Rotura
Thanks in advance,
Srini

PS: What is the difference between Best Pass and Travel Pass?
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:20 PM
MDJ

In my opinion, and my opinion only, i'd chop it half, maybe forget the North
Island for now. Having travelled in two different modes, leisurely and
rushed I can honestly say that i've had a more enjoyable time and returned
with better memories when i've taken my time.

m...

Old September 27th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Odysseus

It's too rushed. IMHO it's better to go to fewer places and spend
more time in each place. Otherwise, all of the cities blend together
and you don't remember what you have seen.

I had a similar itinerary on an escorted tour. I was never in
Wellington. As far as the other cities are concerned, I would.

Spend more time in Auckland
Eliminate the glaciers. They take too much time. You can see
something similar in the US.
Possibly eliminate Milford Sound. It was beautiful but not worth an
entire day.
Consider spending time in Christchurch. It was my favorite city in
NZ.