Are Royal TResorts in Cancun open post Wilma

Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Mike

Default Are Royal TResorts in Cancun open post Wilma

Any information on condition would be appreciated.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
Brian K

On 10/23/2005 2:19 PM Mike after palpating a Ginkgo, electronically
interjected:

Any information on condition would be appreciated.

Wilma "stalled" over Cancun for more than 24 hours. Some hotels in the
Hotel Zone were flooded up to the third floor. From AP photos I've
seen the town has been totally trashed. Right now they are working on
evacuating American tourists out of the town. It's too soon to tell,
but my guess is that things won't be up and running at that or any hotel
for several weeks.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 24th, 2005, 12:26 AM
SD

Brian K wrote:
On 10/23/2005 2:19 PM Mike after palpating a Ginkgo, electronically
interjected:

Any information on condition would be appreciated.

Wilma "stalled" over Cancun for more than 24 hours. Some hotels in the
Hotel Zone were flooded up to the third floor. From AP photos I've
seen the town has been totally trashed. Right now they are working on
evacuating American tourists out of the town. It's too soon to tell,
but my guess is that things won't be up and running at that or any hotel
for several weeks.

What I'm hearing on the news here in Latin America is that the hotels
are hoping to be up and running for Christmas. There's been extensive
damage to many of them and evaluation for repair and/or
demolition/replacement has not even begun to take place yet.

SD

Old October 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Rebecca

have you heard anything? We are set to go to Royal Mayan this
Saturday, 10-29? Airport to open Tuesday, 10-25. Thanks, Rebecca

Old October 25th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Richard Ferguson

I am reading "El Diario de Yucatan", from Merida, not far from Cancun.

According to Carlos Abastos, Secretaria de Governacion (number 2 man in
the federal government), they figure to be back on their feet in Cancun
in December, in a little more than a month.

Felix Gonzales Canto, the governor of Quintana Roo (the state the Cancun
is in) says that Wilma is the greatest disaster the state has ever seen.

Ricardo Alverado, the director of Fonatur for Cancun, (tourist board),
said that the hotel zone was devastated. He did not think that the
hotels could recuperate quickly. He said that it will be a difficult
and perhaps slow reconstruction process.

Many of the Cancun hotels lost all of their windows.

According to El Universal from Mexico City, the electric company CFE in
Cancun says that it will take a couple of weeks to restore power.

The airports are scheduled to open Monday to evacuate tourists, but not
for regular traffic.

You have probably heard that there was looting in Cancun.

My guess is that if you are planning to leave for Cancun, Cozumel, or
that area in the next week or so, forget it. If you are planning to
leave in a few weeks, wait a week or so and call the hotel.

Richard

Old October 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Mike

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:19:23 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

Any information on condition would be appreciated.

Mixed reports. Sounds like VCI and the Royal Sands will be open soon
-- mid-November. Others may not make it before year end. But never
count a Royal out. new should be posted on resort web site by Monday,
maybe sooner.