Greyhound Bus Query

Old December 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Default Greyhound Bus Query

"Mimi":
Have you considered taking the train instead of the bus? At least
for the first leg to Niagara Falls? More comfortable.

But less frequent, just two trains a day in winter.

Gareth Slee:
Yes that probably will be a better option. Is it Viarail the company
I'll need to use for that?

VIA Rail. Actually, if you take the morning train, it's the one that
goes on to New York City; this one is an Amtrak train but it's operated
by a VIA Rail crew in Canada and you'd use VIA Rail tickets. This train
has a small section of "business class" seating, if you're interested.
At least, that's what Amtrak calls it. (Hmm, that's interesting. The
VIA timetable I picked up last summer when I last used this train does
NOT show that it has two classes. I rode "business class" myself from
Niagara Falls to Toronto, but on an Amtrak-issued ticket.)

The evening Toronto-Niagara train is purely a VIA Rail operation and
is single-class.

The VIA/Amtrak train stops on both sides of the border, but if you get
the idea of getting off at Niagara Falls, New York, forget it; customs
clearance is done with the train stopped and is so slow the timetable
allows 2 hours for it.

As for Niagara-Cleveland, I have no idea what's best. There might
conceivably be better choices if you start from Niagara Falls, New York,
but then you have to cross the border on your own with your luggage.
Crossing the Rainbow Bridge on foot is nice when you do it in the summer
empty-handed, but in winter with luggage it wouldn't be fun. I'd want
to see if it could be done by taxi, and I don't know about that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto It's all Henry's fault.
-- Geoff Collyer

Old December 11th, 2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
wrote:

I can't seem to get them [Grayhound] to pick up the phone when I
call...

"Get A Human"
================================================ =======
Greyhound F 800?231?2222 @ Press 26.

Many 800 numbers cannot be reached by an international caller...

That's much less true than it used to be. In the UK for the last few years
every US based 800 number I've tried has triggered a recording that says
something along the lines of this call won't be free, if you don't want to
pay hang up now. I used to get around it by using an AT and T credit card
billed to my UK credit card.

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
.. .
Many 800 numbers cannot be reached by an international caller...

That's much less true than it used to be. In the UK for the last few years
every US based 800 number I've tried has triggered a recording that says
something along the lines of this call won't be free, if you don't want to
pay hang up now. I used to get around it by using an AT and T credit card
billed to my UK credit card.

The situation is certainly better then it once was, but it's still not
great, especially with location-routed numbers -- Greyhound's tollfree
numbers, for example, route you to the appropriate call center based on
your location.