Travelling alone to Budapest.

Old January 26th, 2004, 11:42 PM
MC

Default Travelling alone to Budapest.

I hoping to travel to budapest in 2 weeks for a 3 night break (last minute
decision). I am leaving the wife at home (she has to work) and will be
travelling alone. I am in my late 30s but I am a little dubious as I have
never travelled alone before and wondered how safe and "one person" friendly
it will be. I am travelling from the UK and I have never been to Hungary
before. I hope to do a little photography. Will having a camera/s around
my neck attract the wrong sort. Will I be easy pickings as a "tourist".

Regards

MC

Old January 26th, 2004, 11:55 PM
PTRAVEL

"MC" wrote in message
I hoping to travel to budapest in 2 weeks for a 3 night break (last minute
decision). I am leaving the wife at home (she has to work) and will be
travelling alone. I am in my late 30s but I am a little dubious as I have
never travelled alone before and wondered how safe and "one person"

friendly
it will be. I am travelling from the UK and I have never been to Hungary
before. I hope to do a little photography. Will having a camera/s around
my neck attract the wrong sort. Will I be easy pickings as a "tourist".

Regards

MC

Though my wife and I always travel together, frequently she'll go off to do
one thing (shopping) and I'll go off to do another (shooting video). Not
quite the same as travelling alone, but close enough for your inquiry. I
always have a camera 'round my neck (actually, usually two), a map in my
pocket, and a knapsack on my back, so I'm easily branded as a tourist. I
had no problems whatsoever in Budapest (or, for that matter, anywhere else
in Europe). I take common-sense precautions -- I use a money belt, I don't
flash money around, I don't put my cameras or my backpack down (or, if I do,
I'll loop the straps around the chair that I'm sitting on), I avoid obvious
unsavory areas (which I find out about by reading a good guide book), I'm
aware of the different scams which are frequently worked on tourists (and
there really aren't that many).

Budapest is a beautiful city with friendly people who welcome tourists (for
the right reasons). There are many wonderful photography opportunities
there. Go and have a wonderful time.

Old January 27th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Tony Day

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"MC" wrote in message
I hoping to travel to budapest in 2 weeks for a 3 night break (last

minute
decision). I am leaving the wife at home (she has to work) and will be
travelling alone. I am in my late 30s but I am a little dubious as I

have
never travelled alone before and wondered how safe and "one person"

friendly

Budapest is a beautiful city with friendly people who welcome tourists

(for
the right reasons). There are many wonderful photography opportunities
there. Go and have a wonderful time.

Those remarks are spot on.

Tony

Old January 27th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Leland Windreich

I have been in Budapest on four occasions, once for 2 weeks and once for 10
days. It's a lovely, glamorous and exciting city with beautiful
architecture, wonderful museums and cultural activities, and a great
transportation system. Wonderful restaurants with a variety of cuisine
types. I have never run into problems with language, and I know only a dozen
words of Hungarian.

Stay in a good hotel in the town center. I would be a bit careful about
pickpockets in the subways and would avoid accepting seemingly friendly
invitations to coffee or a drink from young people, who are known to resort
to scams. Otherwise, take the same precautions you would in any American
city and enjoy this delightful place. Bring lots of film, as you will be
snapping furiously.

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:23 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MC wrote:

I hoping to travel to budapest in 2 weeks for a 3 night break (last minute
decision). I am leaving the wife at home (she has to work) and will be
travelling alone. I am in my late 30s but I am a little dubious as I have
never travelled alone before and wondered how safe and "one person" friendly
it will be. I am travelling from the UK and I have never been to Hungary
before. I hope to do a little photography. Will having a camera/s around
my neck attract the wrong sort. Will I be easy pickings as a "tourist".

You're kidding, right? I'm an elderly woman, and I have no qualms about
traveling alone anywhere in Europe I want to go! What reason would an
able-bodied thirty-year old man have to be afraid?

Regards

MC

Old January 27th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Deep Flawed Muslim

"MC" wrote in message
I hoping to travel to budapest in 2 weeks for a 3 night break (last minute
decision). I am leaving the wife at home (she has to work) and will be
travelling alone. I am in my late 30s but I am a little dubious as I have
never travelled alone before and wondered how safe and "one person"

friendly
it will be.

Travelling by yourself should not be such a daunting thing. 90% of my travel
is solo. It can get a bit lonely at times, but in a place like Budapest,
there will be so many other folks kicking around that I am sure you can hook
up with someone in that time. Staying at a popular hostel will help,
although most of the crowd will be under 25, if the age gap bothers you at
all. It's only 3 days anyway!

I am travelling from the UK and I have never been to Hungary
before. I hope to do a little photography. Will having a camera/s around
my neck attract the wrong sort. Will I be easy pickings as a "tourist".

I take my big camera in a backpack, whick goes against all the warnings, but
as long as you keep it touching your body, theft and tampering should be
unlikely. Personally I don't like the camera-around-the-neck look.

A great city, with a lot going on. Enjoy!
---
DFM

Old January 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Casey

I am travelling from the UK and I have never been to Hungary before.

Bring a phrase book as most people will not speak English. You also
might want to be alert if visiting the baths as the Lonely Planet guide
book notes that the "men-only" days are known for gay-boy cruising.

I hope to do a little photography. Will having a camera/s around
my neck attract the wrong sort. Will I be easy pickings as a "tourist".

You definitely won't be the only one with a camera.

Casey

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Frank F. Matthews

You should have no problem with normal precautions. I recommend that
you get a pass for transit each day. Since there are no transfers each
trip can add up as you move around. FFM

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I suppose that I should comment that as with most cities there are
places to avoid, alone or not. I expressed interest in visiting one
particular flee market which cause our guide to blanch. I never did
find time to try it but I suspect the guide was a bit of a wimp. I
wouldn't have taken my camera. Then again there are neighborhoods here
in Houston that I might blanch at a visitor intending to wander around.
FFM

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM
tile

Budapest is relatively safe..
there is a little small criminality, mostly due to
illegal immigrants from nearby countries( Rumania, Ucraina)
maybe you will be approached by people offering
to change money at black market rates ( they will give you false banknotes
or rumanian notes..)
Black market has not been there anymore for 10 years.
Some taxi have metres that are counting two or three times the real fare..
call a radio taxi whenever you need. they are correct.