What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default driving in Turkey What is your favorite Europeanmegalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

On 2013-02-18 15:18:45 -0600, Jack Campin said:

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than

Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.

Tarxien (and other sites), Malta.

Absolutely incomparable - and, I believe, the oldest.

A little way outside Europe, but Gobekli Tepe near Urfa makes

Tarxien and Stonehenge look as modern as a Wal-Mart.

What is your opinion in physical and driving safety in remote areas of

Turkey such as this?

I've visited Turkey because and felt safe, but that wasn't driving (and

they are maniacs in Istanbul), and it was in Istanbul for the most

part. Not the rural hinterland. And this was in 2002, and then 2007.

They've gotten more islamist since then, too, and I just don't know

what that means as an American tourist.

Dan Stephenson

http://stepheda.com

Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

We've never driven ourselves in Turkey but have travelled most of its area by various means - dolmesh, buses, taxis etc. No less safe (in fact, probably more safe) than any typical remote area. You're stopped from travelling, these days, in the 'dodgy' Kurd problem areas (and, presumably, the Syria border currently).
Often, the 'locals' are almost embarrasingly friendly & helpful. Just needs the obvious awareness of local custom/religion and, ideally, maybe a group of 4.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

On 2013-02-18 15:18:45 -0600, Jack Campin said:

Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

We've never driven ourselves in Turkey but have travelled most of its area
by various means - dolmesh, buses, taxis etc. No less safe (in fact,
probably more safe) than any typical remote area. You're stopped from
travelling, these days, in the 'dodgy' Kurd problem areas (and,
presumably, the Syria border currently).
Often, the 'locals' are almost embarrasingly friendly & helpful. Just
needs the obvious awareness of local custom/religion and, ideally, maybe a
group of 4.

Any recommendations for people who can't magic up a group of 4 (or even 2)?

tim

Old March 10th, 2013, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-03-10 06:05:58 -0500, Surreyman said:

On Saturday, March 9, 2013 6:13:54 PM UTC, Dan Stephenson wrote:
What is your opinion in physical and driving safety in remote areas
of Turkey such as this?

I've visited Turkey before and felt safe, but that wasn't driving
(and they are maniacs in Istanbul), and it was in Istanbul for the
most part. Not the rural hinterland. And this was in 2002, and then
2007.
They've gotten more islamist since then, too, and I just don't know
what that means as an American tourist.

We've never driven ourselves in Turkey but have travelled most of its
area by various means - dolmesh, buses, taxis etc. No less safe (in
fact, probably more safe) than any typical remote area. You're stopped
from travelling, these days, in the 'dodgy' Kurd problem areas (and,
presumably, the Syria border currently).
Often, the 'locals' are almost embarrasingly friendly & helpful. Just
needs the obvious awareness of local custom/religion and, ideally,
maybe a group of 4.

Well unfortunately, I want to visit Hittite sites, and some are close
the Syrian and in fact I believe one actually straddles the
international border! Plus, the Gobekli Tepe site, mentioned
elsewhere, is also in the south.

Now, some of the Ionian sites on the west coast - I bet that is different.

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On 2013-02-18 15:18:45 -0600, Jack Campin said:

Travel pages for Europe and the U.S.A. (and New Zealand too)

We've never driven ourselves in Turkey but have travelled most of its area

by various means - dolmesh, buses, taxis etc. No less safe (in fact,

probably more safe) than any typical remote area. You're stopped from

travelling, these days, in the 'dodgy' Kurd problem areas (and,

presumably, the Syria border currently).

Often, the 'locals' are almost embarrasingly friendly & helpful. Just

needs the obvious awareness of local custom/religion and, ideally, maybe a

group of 4.

Any recommendations for people who can't magic up a group of 4 (or even 2)?

tim

If you are alone, the well-trodden areas pose absolutely no problem whatsoever.
If you're off into the wilds, again you should be fine getting to the local towns. From there (to go to unfrequented archaeological sites etc.) I'd suggest going to the local police station and asking for a reputable guide - this will often be, for instance, a local school teacher with car, etc., who are often proud and delighted to be able to 'do their thing'. Costs are usually minimal.
There's nowt wrong with Turkey per se. Especially in the more remote areas, you'll probably meet with great friendliness and generosity. Just take all obvious precautions as for any remote "less Western" areas.
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

[...]

We were actually caught mid-stream on the Turkey/Syria border on 9/11. Not then realising what had happened, we were suddenly bundled back into Turkey, and watched events unfolding on the TV there! The rest of our trip was up to Cappadocia instead!
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than
Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.
Tarxien (and other sites), Malta.
Absolutely incomparable - and, I believe, the oldest.

A little way outside Europe, but Gobekli Tepe near Urfa makes
Tarxien and Stonehenge look as modern as a Wal-Mart.

What is your opinion in physical and driving safety in remote areas of
Turkey such as this?

Absolutely no problem. Roads near Urfa are good and there are all the
services you could want.

But distances are long, it's blazing hot in summer and intensely
cold with heavy snow in winter. Gobekli Tepe is only a short way
out of town, so you shouldn't have any problem getting there at
any time of year. But in summer, carry water in case you break down.
Much like the hinterland of Australia or the American Southwest.
Mobile phone coverage is good, though.

I've visited Turkey because and felt safe, but that wasn't driving (and
they are maniacs in Istanbul), and it was in Istanbul for the most
part. Not the rural hinterland. And this was in 2002, and then 2007.
They've gotten more islamist since then, too, and I just don't know
what that means as an American tourist.

Nothing. Islamism in Turkey poses no problems for outsiders. But
you do have to watch out for the quaint Kurdish custom of kids biffing
rocks at anybody they don't know. This does not just mean foreigners
or even Turks, it means anybody from the other side of town as well.
Not so bad in Urfa, but in Mardin and Midyat almost every taxi has a
cracked windscreen. (Bettina Selby's book on cycling through this
area tells it like it is). I'd bet that insurance companies who know
the area have this risk excluded in the fine print.

The major problem in that area at the moment is that it'll be flooded
with Syrian refugees. Accommodation might be hard to get. Since I
always stay in the very cheapest places, the sort that will be most
affected by that, I'm putting off going back there.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Another megalithic-dense area is Kilmartin, in Scotland. I stayed at a
B&B right across the road from the main sites: several stone circles
and alignments, and several tombs of all kinds. And there are several
megalithics in the immediately vicinity. I used the stonepages.com web
site for research to find all these places.

The first seven pages are from the Kilmartin area:

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004_Me...ics_Index.html

You probably stayed in the same place we did. There is a remarkable
variety of different kinds of ancient structures there, and the local
museum does a good job of interpreting them.

It's very easy to get to by public transport.

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Surreyman wrote:

[]
Wadi Rum: In 'our day' you could fix an overnight with the Jordanian
Desert Patrol, with camel treks through the wadis. Now, you probably have
5* hotels & 4WD - I don't know! :-))

If you're still reading, we're closer to an itinerary. No hotels booked
yet (availability seems fine) but probably Tel Aviv for the first 3
nights (we arrive on the Thursday and travel on the sabbath is
problematic) then fly to Eilat, but stay in Taba (Sinai) 3-4, then to
Jordan, finally to Jerusalem. So, St. Catherine's is definitely on the
list, then Petra and Wadi Rum. We're looking into staying in a tent at
Wadi Rum.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:36:20 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[]

[...]

Looks good - envy you!
Taba's on the Egyptian border, of course. Nothing there apart from a resort hotel or two (unless it's expanded since I was last there). Eilat or Aqaba could have been more interesting, & the distance differences are negligible. But your choice, of course.
Around the St. Catherine's area there's a delightful Wadi Gazella area if you can persuade your guides to divert a little!
When I was last at St. Catherine's they were just starting to build a hotel complex nearby. I assume that's finished now. Again, depending on your own tastes, that could centre you amongst glorious desert scenery rather than in the less dramatic coast resorts - but I'm getting subjective again!
Above all, enjoy! Look forward to hearing from you afterwards.
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Surreyman wrote:

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:36:20 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:

[]
If you're still reading, we're closer to an itinerary. No hotels booked

yet (availability seems fine) but probably Tel Aviv for the first 3

nights (we arrive on the Thursday and travel on the sabbath is

problematic) then fly to Eilat, but stay in Taba (Sinai) 3-4, then to

Jordan, finally to Jerusalem. So, St. Catherine's is definitely on the

list, then Petra and Wadi Rum. We're looking into staying in a tent at

Wadi Rum.

[]
Looks good - envy you! Taba's on the Egyptian border, of course. Nothing
there apart from a resort hotel or two (unless it's expanded since I was
last there). Eilat or Aqaba could have been more interesting, & the
distance differences are negligible. But your choice, of course.

We'll be in Taba Heights which is about 15km further south- yes, just
resorts but we wanted a few beach days and it made a slightly easier
base from which to St. Catherine's. We really didn't fancy either Eilat
or Aqaba... hope we made the right decision.

Around
the St. Catherine's area there's a delightful Wadi Gazella area if you can
persuade your guides to divert a little! When I was last at St.
Catherine's they were just starting to build a hotel complex nearby. I
assume that's finished now. Again, depending on your own tastes, that
could centre you amongst glorious desert scenery rather than in the less
dramatic coast resorts - but I'm getting subjective again! Above all,
enjoy! Look forward to hearing from you afterwards.

Many thanks!