1800 phone numbers????

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Roo

Default 1800 phone numbers????

Hi,
1800 are toll free, are 800 numbers the same. Any other numbers
that are free for hotel/motel and the likes. In the L.A. area what
is the number for directory enquires (looking for numbers) and is
it toll free.

Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Go Fig

In article , Roo
wrote:

Hi,
1800 are toll free, are 800 numbers the same.

They are the same, you must dial 1-800...

Any other numbers
that are free for hotel/motel and the likes.

Some hotels charge for 800 #s.

In the L.A. area what
is the number for directory enquires (looking for numbers)

411

and is
it toll free.

No.. I think as much as $0.75/call, they will give you 2 numbers per
call generally.

jay
Thu Mar 18, 2004

Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Roo

so any 800 numbers listed I have to put a 1 in front, Ok.
Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Brian K

This is true for any call you place outside your area to another area
code. Example: You are staying at a hotel in say the 201 area. To dial
any number that is in that area, simply dial ex. 233-1090. To dial a
restaurant that is in area 732 you would dial ex. 1-732-454-9981. Some
toll free numbers are 1-800, 1-888. Beware of 1-900 that is usually a
charge by minute call.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

On 03/18/2004 11:27 PM Roo wrote:

so any 800 numbers listed I have to put a 1 in front, Ok.
Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Roo

Sounds feasible, but how do you set up the stored numbers
on your directory in your cell phone, with or without the one,
as not sure where you will be calling from, in or out of the area.

Thanks Roo
"Brian K" wrote in message
link.net...
This is true for any call you place outside your area to another area
code. Example: You are staying at a hotel in say the 201 area. To dial
any number that is in that area, simply dial ex. 233-1090. To dial a
restaurant that is in area 732 you would dial ex. 1-732-454-9981. Some
toll free numbers are 1-800, 1-888. Beware of 1-900 that is usually a
charge by minute call.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.
Brian M. Kochera

On 03/18/2004 11:27 PM Roo wrote:

so any 800 numbers listed I have to put a 1 in front, Ok.
Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM
TCS

Another thing to watch out for is the likes of "1-800-collect" I think
800-collect is with AT&T but they are as bad as any of the pure scam artists.
They charge nearly $10/call in addition to minutes used! Best to use a phone
card -- and read the fine print. Many charge $10/month or more just for the
privilege of being activated; make one call and try to use it a few months
later and you'll discover that all your minutes have evaporated.
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Brian Wasson

There are also other toll-free phone area codes besides 800, added
because the 800 area code numbers were depleting quickly. 866 and 877
also denote toll-free numbers. In any instance, you must dial a "1"
before them. In print you will see these numbers listed as both 1-800
or simply 800, with the understanding being that you must dial the
"1," which is the USA access code for long distance (actually, it's
01, but you drop the zero). Associated Press style, which is what most
newspapers use (for example), directs writers to leave off the one
before an area code.

"Roo" wrote in message ...
Sounds feasible, but how do you set up the stored numbers
on your directory in your cell phone, with or without the one,
as not sure where you will be calling from, in or out of the area.

Thanks Roo
"Brian K" wrote in message
link.net...
This is true for any call you place outside your area to another area
code. Example: You are staying at a hotel in say the 201 area. To dial
any number that is in that area, simply dial ex. 233-1090. To dial a
restaurant that is in area 732 you would dial ex. 1-732-454-9981. Some
toll free numbers are 1-800, 1-888. Beware of 1-900 that is usually a
charge by minute call.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.
Brian M. Kochera

On 03/18/2004 11:27 PM Roo wrote:

so any 800 numbers listed I have to put a 1 in front, Ok.
Thanks Roo

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article
,
TCS wrote:

Another thing to watch out for is the likes of "1-800-collect" I think
800-collect is with AT&T but they are as bad as any of the pure scam artists.

MCi Worldcom actually.

800 CALLATT is AT&T's

Old March 19th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Sarah Banick

"Brian K" wrote in message
link.net...
This is true for any call you place outside your area to another area
code. Example: You are staying at a hotel in say the 201 area. To dial
any number that is in that area, simply dial ex. 233-1090. To dial a
restaurant that is in area 732 you would dial ex. 1-732-454-9981. Some
toll free numbers are 1-800, 1-888. Beware of 1-900 that is usually a
charge by minute call.

Just to make it more complicated, there are metro areas with several area
codes, i.e. Atlanta, where you have to dial the area code all the time, but
you don't have to dial the prefix 1 to call a different area code. For
example, I live in area code 404. I always dial a 10 digit number for calls
within 404, 678, or 770. (however, 706, the area code that indicates you're
in Georgia, not Atlanta, requires a 1+)

Confused yet?

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Miguel Cruz

Roo wrote:
Sounds feasible, but how do you set up the stored numbers
on your directory in your cell phone, with or without the one,
as not sure where you will be calling from, in or out of the area.

Are there still any parts of the USA where you can't dial the full number
for a local call? In DC I can dial 1.202.xxx.yyyy and it'll work fine.

I always just program things with the full number and then I don't have to
worry about where I am.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/