Northern Pakistan

Old December 17th, 2003, 02:21 AM
George Fahrenkopf

Default Northern Pakistan

Anyone planning or have recently been to Karimabad, Skardu areas?
Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions from the traveler(s) involved.

And which international airline? and from which country/city.
Thanks.

George

Old December 17th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Dziadzia

I was in Karimabad, Gilgit and Swat valley in August 2001. Is that recent
enough for you?
what do you want to know?

Old December 17th, 2003, 06:24 PM
George Fahrenkopf

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I was scheduled to return to the Northern area for a 19-day jeep safari on
September 22, 2001 but canceled because of 9-11. I imagine that conditions
have changed since and wanted to get a sense of what to expect in regards to
safe and friendly travel. Also British Airways does not fly into Islamabad
and I wondered what would be an alternate airline from USA. PIA seems to be
the obvious carrier but again I would like someone's opinion.

I contacted my original Pakistani outfitter who assured me I would be
welcomed by the locals with open arms. However I would like an outsider's
opinion hence my posting here.

George.

Old December 18th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Johannes Beck

"George Fahrenkopf" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
welcomed by the locals with open arms. However I would like an outsider's
opinion hence my posting here.

German authorities explicitly warn of Pakistan.
http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/d...der_ausgabe_ht
ml?type_id=4&land_id=129

Generally they warning counts for the whole country, but their special
announcements are all for the boarder regions, because of tourist kidnapping,
drug smuggling and other crimes. The Kashmir region is still the most
dangerous in Pakistan. So if you stay off the boarders, it may be possible.

But anyway, I wouldn't go there right now. There are other nice and safer
countries that you haven't traveled yet, I assume. So, as long as you don't
need that special thrill, let it.

Johannes!

Old December 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Johannes Beck

I forgot: US state department travel warnings:
http://travel.state.gov/warnings_list.html

Old December 18th, 2003, 01:50 AM
George Fahrenkopf

Thanks Alfred and Johannes,

I'm aware of the warnings but hoped to get a view from a recent traveler. I
agree with staying away from the borders especially the North West Frontier
Province that borders Afghanistan.

For the past few years I've trekked in Central Asia's Commomwealth of
Independent States, the Andes and western Mongolia earlier this year. My
alternative to Pakistan is a solo, guided trek in the Taklamakan Desert and I
already have an itinerary and costs for this adventure. Well, I've got some
thinking to do. Thanks again.

George in USA

Old December 18th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Bijapuri

as much as I love Pakistan, I have learned one thing in 33 years ofr travel
around S. Asia. There's always trouble somewhere, and there's always some
breathtakingly cool spot that's very safe that I have yet to visit. Need I
say more?

Old December 19th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Per Löwdin

I'm aware of the warnings but hoped to get a view from a recent traveler.

agree with staying away from the borders especially the North West

Frontier
Province that borders Afghanistan.

Well, the area known as NWFP is vast, the Pashtu speaking parts are probably
unsafe, and extremely so, but Chitral, north of Dir might be completely OK.
Nice people, totally different from the Pathans.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old December 20th, 2003, 02:40 AM
George Fahrenkopf

I agree. I have been up there with a tribal guide. Even the Brits could not

control them during their 100-plus years of "occupation."

George