About my US Coast to Coast Trip.

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Jackie Yang

Default About my US Coast to Coast Trip.

Dear All,

I am Jackie Yang coming from Taiwan. Now, I am planning a 30 days US
Coast to Coast trip with my wife. We are planning to travel US in May
and June.
Below are the locations which we will visit:

Los Angeles, CA - Las Vegas, NV - Laughli, NV - Flagstaff, AZ -
Albuquerque, NM - Amarillo, TX - Oklahoma City, OK - Dallas, TX -
Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA -
Biloxi, MS - Tallahassee, FL - Orlando, FL - Miami, FL - Go back
Taiwan.

Could you please give me some suggestion about my plan?

In addition, I plan to rent a car at Alamo, the total price is about
US$ 1725.
However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.
What if I encounter traffic police or patrol check my ID and driver
license,
Can I still use my rented car in Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida?
I am very afraid that police don't allow us to drive the car in these
states, than
We can not finish the coast to coast travel. Please tell us what we
should do?
Thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,
Jackie Yang
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:39 AM
cj

Jackie Yang wrote:

Los Angeles, CA - Las Vegas, NV - Laughli, NV - Flagstaff, AZ -
Albuquerque, NM - Amarillo, TX - Oklahoma City, OK - Dallas, TX -
Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX - Houston, TX - New Orleans, LA -
Biloxi, MS - Tallahassee, FL - Orlando, FL - Miami, FL - Go back
Taiwan.

You're planning on staying in the southern part of the US? You are
coming at a decent time (in regards to weather) and might want to
consider going through some northern states, such as Illinois,
Pennsylvania, New York, etc.

Could you please give me some suggestion about my plan?

What kind of suggestions? Where to visit? What to do?

In addition, I plan to rent a car at Alamo, the total price is about
US$ 1725.

Does that include insurance? I see that Collision Damage waiver is
included, but not insurance. I'd check into this and ensure you are
covered properly for any situation (i.e. comprehensive). The only
reason I say this is if a state interprets that you don't have
insurance, you are then driving in the state illegally.

However, some states like Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida which don't
permit my International driver license licensed by Taiwan.
What if I encounter traffic police or patrol check my ID and driver
license,
Can I still use my rented car in Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida?
I am very afraid that police don't allow us to drive the car in these
states, than
We can not finish the coast to coast travel. Please tell us what we
should do?

I'd look in to the international license issue first. Then if you do
need to change your plans, drive from California across to NY and skip
Texas, Oklahoma and Florida. I'm surprised that those states don't
recognize your IDL as long as you have a driver license in your original
country. Are you sure that you aren't required to get a state license if
you are in the state for more than a set number of days? Florida has
many foreign visitors all year long, are you sure you can't drive there?
I would avoid Texas if you are indeed not allow to drive there - it's
just a state I wouldn't want to do something wrong in, nice people,
strict laws.

Enjoy your trip!!