San Sebastian to Paris (Hendaye/Irun?)

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
John

Default San Sebastian to Paris (Hendaye/Irun?)

I don't understand how to move between Hendaye and Irun and on what train.
We take a Spanish train from San Sebastian to Irun, then get off and then
travel somehow to Hendaye and get on a French train from Hendaye to Paris?
How does this all work?

Old June 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
James B. Spears

I've done that the other direction and as I recall the station is the same.
I think you have to change because Spanish and French trains use different
gauge tracks.

Old June 13th, 2005, 04:18 AM
JuanElorza

James B. Spears wrote:
I've done that the other direction and as I recall the station is the same.
I think you have to change because Spanish and French trains use different
gauge tracks.

Yes. Spanish gauge is larger. French trains must stop in Irun. There you
find another train to go to San Sebastian.
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
Gares de départ et d'arrivée Horaires Train(s) Durée : 06h10
PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2 07h25 TGV 8505
IRUN GARE 12h53 Service Handicapé Voiture bar
IRUN GARE 13h20 CORAIL 413
ST SEBASTIEN 13h35 Non vendu sur Internet
http://horarios.renfe.es/
00413 Compra de billetes en Tiknet DIURNO 13:20 13:35 DIARIO
del 12-06-2005
al 10-12-2005
Turista 7,50
TuristaNiño 4,50
Turista Aparcamiento con franquicia para viajeros de Preferente, Gran
Clase y Club: 24h. viaje ida, 48h. viaje ida y vueltaServicio
CafeteríaReserva Telefónica
06002 REGIONAL EXPRES 15:17 15:34 DIARIO
del 28-05-2000
al 10-12-2005
Turista 1,45
Segunda Reserva Telefónica

Old June 13th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I recall the station is the same. I think you have to change because
Spanish and French trains use different gauge tracks.

That is right. That is why you need to change trains at the border. Just
do not get off the wrong side of the train like my god-daughter's friend did
three years ago (which led to a rail strike on the part of French railway
workers) when she was killed by a passing freight train when she got off the
wrong side of the train (it opened when she pressed the button and
descended) onto a fast track being used by the express train with right of
way.

Old June 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Ulf Kutzner

John schrieb:

I don't understand how to move between Hendaye and Irun and on what train.
We take a Spanish train from San Sebastian to Irun, then get off and then
travel somehow to Hendaye and get on a French train from Hendaye to Paris?
How does this all work?

Use Euskotren metric gauge train to Hendaia and SNCF train from Hendaye.
Walk 30 metres between stations.

Regards, ULF
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:05 PM
ALAN HARRISON

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
John schrieb:

I don't understand how to move between Hendaye and Irun and on what
train.
We take a Spanish train from San Sebastian to Irun, then get off and then
travel somehow to Hendaye and get on a French train from Hendaye to
Paris?
How does this all work?

Use Euskotren metric gauge train to Hendaia and SNCF train from Hendaye.
Walk 30 metres between stations.

San Sebastian is also served (probably less picturesquely but more quickly)
by Spanish mainline trains. The mainline track between Hendaye and Irun is
dual gauge (standard gauge SNCF and broad gauge RENFE), so that Spanish
trains can finish their journey in Hendaye and French ones in Irun. (Comment
based on experience more than a decade ago, when passport controls were
still in palce between the two countries.)

Alan Harrison

Old June 14th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Ulf Kutzner

ALAN HARRISON schrieb:

Use Euskotren metric gauge train to Hendaia and SNCF train from Hendaye.
Walk 30 metres between stations.

San Sebastian is also served (probably less picturesquely but more quickly)
by Spanish mainline trains. The mainline track between Hendaye and Irun is
dual gauge (standard gauge SNCF and broad gauge RENFE), so that Spanish
trains can finish their journey in Hendaye and French ones in Irun. (Comment
based on experience more than a decade ago, when passport controls were
still in palce between the two countries.)

Sure but there are few renfe trains to Hendaye. IIRC, regional RENFE
trains don't go there.

Regards, ULF