Woman Sues Airline For Humiliation Over Her Weight

Old September 5th, 2004, 04:39 AM
BruceB

"Dennis" wrote in message
Woman Sues Airline For Humiliation Over Her Weight

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but enough to get the gist of
the arguments. The problem is really our litigation-happy society and the
trial lawyers who start most of this trouble. While this woman may be a fat
pig, the real pigs are the attorneys who pursue this sort of stupid suit. A
reasonable society would just make her buy two seats. Or, if she were
REALLY gross, 3 seats. Jesus, what happened to common sense????
What if she weighed 500 pounds and had to be hoisted aboard with a crane??
Who would be expected to pay for that??

In addition, what's all this cross-posting??? Read the FAQs of any NG...
You gotta decide what is the best forum for your subject..

Bruce

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Adam Weiss

Default Woman Sues Airline For Humiliation Over Her Weight

Scott wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:52:03 -0700, "Matt"
wrote:

"anonymous" wrote in message
. com...

Matt wrote:

"PeterL" wrote in message

I, literally, cannot imagine anything that a gate agent might say or do
which would rise to the level of actionable intentional infliction.

I can, however, easily imagine a jury ruling for the plaintiff.

Or a judge finding that ADA regulations require airlines to add special
oversized seats for overweight or wheelchair-bound people.

Matt

ADA specifically exempts air carriers.

For now maybe. Meeting ADA requirements has always been a moving target.
It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 or 15 years, ADA was amended to include
airlines.

Matt

There is already a law for airlines called the Air Carrier Access Act.
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...s/disabled.htm

I'm not sure how it can be applied to this topic, but you're welcome
to look for loopholes.

That's a brief summary of 14 CFR Part 382.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr382_02.html

If legalese is your cup of tea, you're welcomed to comb it for loopholes.

(The summary you posted a link to has more loopholes than things that
fall within its nets - for example it says nothing about accessibility
of airplane toilets, which is one of the biggest issues in the ADA).