Yucatan tour: car vs. bus vs. thumb

Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:01 AM
Tommus

Default Yucatan tour: car vs. bus vs. thumb

My wife and I are going to the Yucatan for the first two weeks of Jan
05. We will fly into Cancun and plan to make a circuit from Cancun to
Merida to Chetumal and back. Of course, we want to stop off and see a
fair number of Mayan ruins, cenotes, small towns, etc. Given the
amount of time we have, should we rent a car or ride the buses? How
about hitchhiking?
Is 2 weeks enough for this schedule? We don't want to spend most of
our time in transit.
Also, any recommendations for laid-back, inexpensive beach
cabana/camping on the coast south of Cancun?
Muchas gracias.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM
Technobarbarian

"Tommus" wrote in message
m...
My wife and I are going to the Yucatan for the first two weeks of Jan
05. We will fly into Cancun and plan to make a circuit from Cancun to
Merida to Chetumal and back. Of course, we want to stop off and see a
fair number of Mayan ruins, cenotes, small towns, etc. Given the
amount of time we have, should we rent a car or ride the buses?

There LOTS of buses and combis in that area, particularly in the Cancun
to Tulum corridor--they're cheap and easy. Taxis are also readily available
and cheap by American standards. Another option is to rent a taxi with the
driver. A rental car will run around $25/day or more--you'll be there during
the busy season--plus another $25/day for the damage waiver. Many credit
card companies will cover the damage waiver when you use their card for the
rental--check with yours for details. That time of year I'd reserve one in
advance. Avis and many other large companies have agencies near the airport
terminal in Cancun.

How about hitchhiking?

It's not all that common in Mexico and not a particularly good idea. It
won't really save you much money because if a Mexican picks you up the
expectation is that you will help with expenses. It doesn't really pass most
sane people's cost/benefit/risk analysis.

Is 2 weeks enough for this schedule? We don't want to spend most of
our time in transit.

Yes, but you'll want reservations for rooms anywhere from Cancun to
Tulum that time of year. A rental car will save you some transit time.

Also, any recommendations for laid-back, inexpensive beach
cabana/camping on the coast south of Cancun?

Tulum is very popular with counter-culture types and you're best bet for
that sort of thing. I'd suggest buying a good guidebook and reading a few
more for specific recommendations. If you make it to Uxmal I particularly
recommend Sacbe Cabins and Camping on the other side of nearby Santa Elena
from the ruins--best meals and prices in the area, along with a beautiful
location.

TB

Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Bobby

Yes, but you'll want reservations for rooms anywhere from Cancun to
Tulum that time of year.

I disagree. I arrived in the Yucatan (Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and
Merida for two on Jan 2 and found plenty of rooms available.

Stay flexible.