First visit to the US. How to spend 4 weeks backpacking?

Old July 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt B

Default First visit to the US. How to spend 4 weeks backpacking?

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:10:22 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Matt B.:
... on some longer journeys (e.g NY to Montreal) I'll opt for Amtrak.

Good. Now be awa Amtrak also has a downside. Many routes have
infrequent service, like once a day, and you have to reserve in
advance, although for coach (as opposed to sleeping car) travel this
is unlikely to be a problem. (The reservation just gets you on the
train; Amtrak doesn't reserve specific seats like they do in Europe.)

Also, long delays beyond Amtrak's control are always possible; they
share track space with freight trains, which tend to get priority.
Such problems are more likely on longer routes.

The exception is the Boston - New York - Philadelphia - Washington
route, known as the Northeast Corridor. Schedules on this line are
comparable to a European main line, with many trains every day.
Many trains still require reservations, though, and some trains
(called Acela Expresses) charge a substantially higher fare for a
trip that's only slightly faster.

Incidentally, for phone reservations they have an automated response
system that is by far the best-designed one I have encountered, based
on voice recognition, and which allows you to ask for a human agent
at any time. You can also reserve by Internet or at a station.

Cheers for the heads up. I'll make sure to book ahead now.

UK trains are notoriously unreliable (although from my experience
they've got slightly better recently), so I've become kind of
accustomed to delays and cancellations - although they're still bloody
irritating!

Matt
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B&B Travel Magazine (www.bba.travel)

I wondered if I could get advice on the best way
to spend my 4 weeks.

That's a very ambitious itinerary.
Good for you!

The Northeast is certainly a concentrated
region of American cultures, thought
August can be a brutal time of year
climate-wise.

The West and Pacific Northwest is
spectacular during this time.

San Francisco has a lot in one
area, with AMAZING hiking
in Muir Woods (giant redwoods).

Trains up to Wine Country,
then up to Tahoe area is forever
memorable.

Portland and Seattle are two
artsy, cultural city's surrounded
by some of nature's gems.

Lewis & Clark made a trip worth
researching.

Wherever you go, though, and
whenever, make sure you consider
Bed & Breakfasts as your accomodation
of choice. They're affordable, closer
to nature and the trail than any hotel,
and the innkeepers are the most
knowledgeable about their areas,
and will have the best site-seeing
advice.

get a good camera and have a great trip!!

- Mark

Read Bed & Breakfast America Magazine for FREE online at:
www.bba.travel

Old July 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:15:01 GMT, Matt B
wrote:

UK trains are notoriously unreliable (although from my experience
they've got slightly better recently), so I've become kind of
accustomed to delays and cancellations - although they're still bloody
irritating!

For unreliabilty, no service beats Amtrak. Their track is available to
them only when not required by freight trains.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.