Illinois Tollway -- pay attention to pay tolls

Old July 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

Default Illinois Tollway -- pay attention to pay tolls

On 2007-07-21 09:10:56 -0400, BobT said:

You may not have been aware that the cash toll is double the I-Pass
toll. Accordingly pretty much all locals have I-Pass, even infrequent
users of the toll system.

Is I-Pass interchangeable with EZPass, or do they just look alike?

Old July 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:10:56 +0000, BobT wrote:
confused in other states. For example, I don't go through the cash
lanes, but the signs for amount of toll at an exit are quite visible.

I've found them quite visible but usually not quite early enough. The
first notice of the toll amount is (was, last time I used the Tollway)
about a mile before the tollbooth. If you're alone in the car that's not
enough time to safely sort out the right amount of change - especially
given that everyone's jockeying for position, wildly changing lanes.

One gets used to any signage.

Yep, but just like I-Pass that doesn't do tourists any good.

It wouldn't be a big deal if these were roads used essentially only by
locals, a spur into the Loop or something like that. But we're talking
about the main route between the entire states of Wisconsin, Minnesota,
and Iowa and points east. The Tri-State is *going* to have a bunch of
tourists, unless one would rather all the tourists use the Kennedy & make
it even harder to get downtown than it already is!

(maybe they should make the Kennedy a toll road & lift the tolls on the
Tri-State...)

Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

I use the NYS Thruway almost daily and have EZ Pass. The Thruway uses
first
generation technology...you still have to slow to 5 MPH in most places,
though they've installed some 20MPG lanes and 30 MPH lanes on the Tappen
Zee
Bridge.

Also around Buffalo, now. I haven't checked Exit 25 in Albany, but it
might be next.

Exit 24 is the western exit into Albany. It has a 20 MPH lane when entering
the Thruway.

Exit 25 is 890 to Schenectady. They just completed an extended length of
extra exit lane since this exit is packed during the afternoon rush hour,
with lots of Albany workers living in Schenectady County (I'm one of them).

But I haven't seen any work on the toll barriers.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Bill in Schenectady" wrote in message

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

I use the NYS Thruway almost daily and have EZ Pass. The Thruway uses
first
generation technology...you still have to slow to 5 MPH in most places,
though they've installed some 20MPG lanes and 30 MPH lanes on the Tappen
Zee
Bridge.

Also around Buffalo, now. I haven't checked Exit 25 in Albany, but it
might be next.

Exit 24 is the western exit into Albany. It has a 20 MPH lane when
entering the Thruway.

Exit 25 is 890 to Schenectady.

Did they deliberatley name this place so that it is impossible
to say? (Or do you do what us Brits would do and leave out
half the letters?)

tim

Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

I use the NYS Thruway almost daily and have EZ Pass. The Thruway uses
first
generation technology...you still have to slow to 5 MPH in most places,
though they've installed some 20MPG lanes and 30 MPH lanes on the Tappen
Zee
Bridge.

Also around Buffalo, now. I haven't checked Exit 25 in Albany, but it
might be next.

Exit 24 is the western exit into Albany. It has a 20 MPH lane when
entering the Thruway.

Exit 25 is 890 to Schenectady.

Did they deliberatley name this place so that it is impossible
to say? (Or do you do what us Brits would do and leave out
half the letters?)

Just what is your question?

Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BobT

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:38:26 -0400, sechumlib
wrote:

Is I-Pass interchangeable with EZPass[snip]

Yes. I-Pass works on EZPass roads, and vice versa. Sevaral other
toll authorities are also in the group that mutually recognize each
other's systems, including Massachusetts, Indiana, amd doubtless
others.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BobT

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:52:28 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:10:56 +0000, BobT wrote:

One gets used to any signage.

Yep, but just like I-Pass that doesn't do tourists any good.

That's certainly true. The point I was trying to make is that
tourists will have a few problems with the toll signage on just about
every toll system, until they eventually get used to it. It would be
nice of there were some degree of uniformity among the roads in that
respect, but there doesn't seem to be.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

I use the NYS Thruway almost daily and have EZ Pass. The Thruway uses
first
generation technology...you still have to slow to 5 MPH in most places,
though they've installed some 20MPG lanes and 30 MPH lanes on the
Tappen Zee
Bridge.

Also around Buffalo, now. I haven't checked Exit 25 in Albany, but it
might be next.

Exit 24 is the western exit into Albany. It has a 20 MPH lane when
entering the Thruway.

Exit 25 is 890 to Schenectady.

Did they deliberatley name this place so that it is impossible
to say? (Or do you do what us Brits would do and leave out
half the letters?)

tim

LOL...try pronouncing some of the towns named after British locations, such
as Worcester, Massachusetts.

Schenectady is pronounced nearly as it's spelled: ska-NECK-ta-dee. It
comes from a Native American language and supposedly means "Land beyond the
Wood" or something like that. It may also mean "land by the water" or "land
over there" or "place where dinner waits", for all I know.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

[...]

And if you think that's bad, try Valatie and Schagticoke. And Breakabeen.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

On 2007-07-22 21:02:34 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"

On 2007-07-20 22:53:12 -0400, "Bill in Schenectady"
said:

[...]

My favorites in the area:

Coxsackie
Watervliet

And how do they pronounce Cairo in Greene County, NY (Northern Catskill
Mountains). It's CAAro.