Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Default Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak

On Jul 22, 11:56 pm, Hatunen wrote:
I've been Canadian since 2004. So I guess in turn, that means I'm Canadian.

One can be a citizen of a country without being resident there.
But it did strike me odd in this context; it seemed like it was
deliberately confusing.

I'll reiterate... I've been a naturalized Canadian Citizen since 2004,
which in turn means I am currently a Canadian citizen today.

It seems to me that you guys have as much trouble reading what people
write as they have writing it sometimes... I didn't write I'd been
living in Canada only since 2004, I've actually been in Canada since
1981. My parents would not let me naturalize until I was 18, and no,
neither of them naturalized before that time, therefore I had no
option of naturalizing automatically because they did (if that's even
possible here). My mom naturalized only two years ago, and my dad
never naturalized because he has a UK passport (but not born in the
UK), so he feels no need to do that as long as he can keep living and
working in Canada.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Sapphyre wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:34 pm, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

Why did you say you're a permanent resident, then, in another message?

I was speaking of a past experience that occurred when I was a PR.

I've had lots of USA-Canada travel experience, much of which occurred
before I naturalized. I mention my status at the time because I feel
it's relevant, since I'm not convinced a PR is treated the same as a
citizen of Canada. Considering I still had a foreign passport and
still had to fill in arrival-departure cards, despite being a PR.
I don't know if this is the norm, but this is what I had to do.

As far as I know, a permanent resident isn't eligible for a Canadian
passport. According to the US State Department Web site
http://travel.state.gov/ a permanent resident is treated like a foreign
national of his country of nationality and would require a non-immigrant
visa (and I assume a passport) to enter the United States, unless a
national of one of the countries from which visas for travel are waived.

(I presented PR card along with foreign passport).

Your permanent resident card is an immigrant visa, so that you'd have to
present to your own immigration officials to re-enter Canada. Don't see
why you had to show it to enter the US.

What was your previous nationality?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Default Rules for border crossings into the United States

Sapphyre wrote:

I don't even let employers know that much about me, I show my citizenship ID
card

Canadian CITIZENS are required to carry proof of citizenship? Thus far,
that's an infringement on personal liberty not yet imposed on US citizens.

and SIN card for employment in Canada.

I didn't know Canadians were licensed to sin.

Is that your national health insurance number? Must employers use it for
tax witholding?

I don't show my passport because it shows place of birth. Discrimination
is illegal, but many people still do it anyway. A lady I know in my city
doesn't like to hire people who are from different backgrounds than she is,
because she doesn't want to permit anyone practicing a different religion
to take special days off work. I worked for a person who refused to allow
me my religious day off work, she told me if I get that day off work,
she'll cut my hours and deny me full-time. Yes, I know that's illegal,
but I can't prove that's the reason.

In the United States, religion is an illegal basis to deny hiring.
However, an employer is not required to give employees days off on
religious holidays. Are Canadian employers? From what you've described,
giving you a choice of working part time, allowing you to take all time
off for worship, or working full time with no time off for worship
doesn't sound like it would be illegal in the US.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-07-22 22:22:07 -0400, "Whitelightning"
said:

I believe our easier tax laws were of
more interst to him than anything else, but thats just my opinion That
doesn't sound much like an American to me.
A piece of paper does not an American make,

Just what does "an American make"? I was born here and have always
lived here, but I think the country has gone to hell in a handbasket.
Especially under the present government.

Does that, in your opinion, give you the right to tell me "Love it or
leave it"?

Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Clark F Morris

On 23 Jul 2007 15:21:42 GMT, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:

Sapphyre wrote:

I don't even let employers know that much about me, I show my citizenship ID
card

Canadian CITIZENS are required to carry proof of citizenship? Thus far,
that's an infringement on personal liberty not yet imposed on US citizens.

and SIN card for employment in Canada.

I didn't know Canadians were licensed to sin.

Is that your national health insurance number? Must employers use it for
tax witholding?

As a landed immigrant, I have never heard about a citizenship ID card
and must remember to ask if one exists. The SIN is the Social
Insurance Number and it also is 9 digits.

rest snipped

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Clark F Morris

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:55:37 -0700, Sapphyre
wrote:

yes, the tax laws are pretty lax compared to other places. Europe is
among the worst for high taxes, and Canada fits in pretty close
behind. (Most Canadians would disagree, depending on your point of
view... we pay 14% to buy product where I live, tax breaks are given
only on food and certain things come tax free.) My spouse is a
professional and pays Ontario surtax on his income, plus he's in one
of the high tax brackets. The good news is, if I don't work for a
whole year he gets huge tax breaks because he can use all my credits.
But we don't get some credits (like property tax) because it goes by
combined household income. For the most part, I work, and have gotten
above the first tax bracket myself, last salary would have been 30K
per year. So it's of not much benefit when he does his return. RRSPs
are about the only thing that saves us, I took around 6K off my net
income for last year with them, thus paying a lot less personal income
tax.

At 14 percent, it sounds like you live in one of the three provinces
that has HST, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and I believe Newfoundland
and Labrador (one province and the only provincial / state
jurisdiction in North American with AND in it). Thus I am baffled at
the Ontario surtax.

rest snipped
Whitelightning

Clark Morris
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Clark F Morris

Default OT: Canadian ID and citizenship was Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:02:50 -0700, Sapphyre
wrote:

On Jul 22, 11:36 pm, Hatunen wrote:
You're confusing me, and maybe some others. Anyone naturalized
can get a passport. Unfortunately some people have trouble
gathering the documents for a passport. There was a day when kids
became naturalized as a matter of coure when their parents were
naturalized, but that was long ago. Providing documentation for a
passport could be a prob;lem for them; I believe they had to
submit their parents' naturalization papers. I have relatives who
had that problem.

It was a hypothetical situation that would apply to someone who isn't
me. No one in particular, just a random person. Someone felt fit to
reply to it with an incomplete argument, so I argued, now everyone is
confused. Forget it, it's not even a real situation. I was speaking in
terms of someone who naturalized, who was born outside the US,
answering the Border Patrol's questions exactly as they were asked,
and whether or not that would cause a problem if that person was
treated the same way I was treated (papers, please). However in my
case, I don't live in the US, so I have papers, and need to provide
papers.

It's hypothetical, so if you're confused, forget it. Making myself
understood is not exactly one of my stronger characteristics,
especially when someone argues with half of what I say and ignores the
other half, then everyone gets confused. I should learn not to argue
with someone who enjoys debating as a pass-time.

We do have a case here in Tucson of a woman who came to the USA
very young and had no idea she wasn't a citizen. She's been
voting here and all, but now this has come out. It's causing here
a real headache because she is actually an illegal, although she
had no idea of that.

That really oughta suck to be her...

As for your earlier comment, yes, everyone should have papers, but how
many people carry their naturalization papers on them all the time?
Most people get ID and documents and carry those (SSN card, driver's
license, state ID card, or whatever else you guys call ID in
Ameirca).

In Canada, I have more ID than most, only because I needed to apply
for this and that to prove I have the right to stay here now that I'm
naturalized. Most people here have a birth certificate, health card,
and driver's license, if even... I know, because I used to take ID
from people as part of my daily job, and i met all sorts who were
probably born here, but couldn't prove it to save their life.

There are a number of people in Canada who found out that they lost
their citizenship due to obscure changes in the law regarding time
spent out of country and other things. Many World War II brides have
gotten caught by another change. I don't recall the details but the
CBC web-site (Canada's national radio/TV network) www.cbc.ca should
have more information.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Whitelightning

On 2007-07-22 22:22:07 -0400, "Whitelightning"
said:

I believe our easier tax laws were of
more interst to him than anything else, but thats just my opinion That
doesn't sound much like an American to me.
A piece of paper does not an American make,

Just what does "an American make"? I was born here and have always lived
here, but I think the country has gone to hell in a handbasket. Especially
under the present government.

Does that, in your opinion, give you the right to tell me "Love it or
leave it"?

If you dont believe the country is worth fighting for, if there is nothing
about the country
you hold dear, then yes. If your idea in a crisis is to run north of the
border and hope another
president grants amnisty for draft dodgers, then yes. If you consider
yourself more X than
American, then go back to X. The man I most admired who refused to go to
Viet Nam was Ali, he stood up for his beliefs, stuck his chin out and
accepted the consequences of his actions and didn't let it destroy him.
That's what made him one of the greatest in my book, not his ability in the
ring. Those that ran to Canada should have been left there.
In regards to the post you snipped a short section from, the man didn't list
a single thing he liked about this country, and was "most proud of his dual
citizenship". I doubt he would have applied for citizenship if he wasnt
married to an American.
I think our country has gone to hell too, but it did it long before this
administration, it did it as soon as its citizens started believing anything
from anywhere was better than anything from here, and anything done else
where is infinetly better than anything done here. To those I say, go
"there" then, and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Whitelightning

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
James Robinson

Clark F Morris wrote:

There are a number of people in Canada who found out that they lost
their citizenship due to obscure changes in the law regarding time
spent out of country and other things. Many World War II brides have
gotten caught by another change. I don't recall the details but the
CBC web-site (Canada's national radio/TV network) www.cbc.ca should
have more information.

It wasn't changes in the law, but old laws that caught them. When they
applied for passports, they found out they didn't qualify.

Essentially, people born outside the country to Canadian parents had to be
registered, and had to live in the country a certain number of years before
their 23rd birthday. If their parents didn't properly register the births,
they weren't automatically citizens.

The government is supposedly rushing through legislation to correct the
problem, since so many people were affected.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Default Silly accusations of anti-Americanism (was: Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak)

Whitelightning wrote:
wrote:
"Whitelightning" said:

I believe our easier tax laws were of more interst to him than anything
else, but thats just my opinion That doesn't sound much like an American
to me. A piece of paper does not an American make,

Just what does "an American make"? I was born here and have always lived
here, but I think the country has gone to hell in a handbasket. Especially
under the present government.

Does that, in your opinion, give you the right to tell me "Love it or
leave it"?

If you dont believe the country is worth fighting for, if there is nothing
about the country you hold dear, then yes. If your idea in a crisis is
to run north of the border and hope another president grants amnisty for
draft dodgers, then yes. If you consider yourself more X than American,
then go back to X.

I suppose WWII era had a few draft dodgers, but no one has ever said.
Does the liberty that America stands for allow Americans to decide for
themselves if fighting in a war our government has committed us to is the
same as fighting for America?

The man I most admired who refused to go to Viet Nam was Ali, he stood up
for his beliefs, stuck his chin out and accepted the consequences of his
actions and didn't let it destroy him. That's what made him one of the
greatest in my book, not his ability in the ring.

Those were religious beliefs he couldn't claim to hold as a Christian.
But most of us aren't international celebrity amateur boxing champions.

Those that ran to Canada should have been left there.

Perhaps. Jimmy Carter, while granting amnesty to Viet Nam War era draft
dodgers, made me register for the draft. Somehow my draft registration,
plus boycotting the Olympics, intimidated the Rooskies into withdrawing
from Afghanistan. And look at the unintended consequences of THAT war,
the origination of the Taliban (then on our side).

In regards to the post you snipped a short section from, the man didn't list
a single thing he liked about this country, and was "most proud of his dual
citizenship".

I think he disliked the present administration.