Immigration patrols on domestic Amtrak

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Adam H. Kerman

Default Canadian ID

Clark F Morris wrote:
On 23 Jul 2007 15:21:42 GMT, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
Sapphyre wrote:

I don't even let employers know that much about me, I show my citizenship
ID card

Canadian CITIZENS are required to carry proof of citizenship? Thus far,
that's an infringement on personal liberty not yet imposed on US citizens.

and SIN card for employment in Canada.

I didn't know Canadians were licensed to sin.

Is that your national health insurance number? Must employers use it for
tax witholding?

As a landed immigrant, I have never heard about a citizenship ID card
and must remember to ask if one exists. The SIN is the Social
Insurance Number and it also is 9 digits.

Thanks for confirming my guess, but it would have been more fun to let
me believe that it was for something else...

Is SIN used as a taxpayer identification number too?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

Default Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak

On 2007-07-23 15:21:37 -0400, "Whitelightning"
said:

I think our country has gone to hell too, but it did it long before this
administration, it did it as soon as its citizens started believing anything
from anywhere was better than anything from here, and anything done else
where is infinetly better than anything done here. To those I say, go
"there" then, and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Funny: I don't recognize anything you said above as being a significant
pattern in the US these days. More likely, the noisy crowd thinks we do
things better than anyone else, and I think that's ridiculous.

NOW have I offended you enough for you to arrogate unto yourself the
right to throw me out?

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 23, 11:08 am, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
As far as I know, a permanent resident isn't eligible for a Canadian
passport. According to the US State Department Web sitehttp://travel.state.gov/a permanent resident is treated like a foreign
national of his country of nationality and would require a non-immigrant
visa (and I assume a passport) to enter the United States, unless a
national of one of the countries from which visas for travel are waived.

Argh, are you talking me in circles to confuse me?
Let me try this again.
1981 I came to Canada, was PR
1999 to 2003 I travelled to the US with foreign passport and filled in
Arrival/Departure card. I had PR status in Canada to return to Canada.
2004 I naturalized, got passport

I never said I had a passport while being a PR, I never said I am
currently a PR (that was past tense). I have travelled to the US many
times while only being a Cdn PR, and I have also travelled while being
a Citizen.

Don't talk me in circles, if you don't get it, ask me to repeat myself
again with a time line, since I refer to various incidents based on
the time they occurred. No one said that I couldn't go from being a PR
to a Citizen over the past eight years did they? So it's it fair to
assume that I was a PR and am a Citizen now if I'm referring to being
both in the same thread?

Your permanent resident card is an immigrant visa, so that you'd have to
present to your own immigration officials to re-enter Canada. Don't see
why you had to show it to enter the US.

I presented it to show I was a permanent resident in Canada, which is
where I have ties. My dad told me to do this to identify me as a
Canadian PR when I entered the US.

What was your previous nationality?

I won't post it, if you want to know, you have to reply directly to
me.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Whitelightning

Default Silly accusations of anti-Americanism (was: Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak)

"Adam H. Kerman" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Whitelightning wrote:
wrote:
"Whitelightning" said:

I suppose WWII era had a few draft dodgers, but no one has ever said.

yes they did and if caught they did jail time. One who ran in the face of
the enemy
was caught, convicted and shot.

Does the liberty that America stands for allow Americans to decide for
themselves if fighting in a war our government has committed us to is the
same as fighting for America?

No it does not, however your free to leave, or free to say no and go to jail
if
you lose in court after saying no. I can respect the latter.
There were a large number of people who even after Pearl Harbor considered
WW2 Roosevelts war, not americas war.

The man I most admired who refused to go to Viet Nam was Ali, he stood up
for his beliefs, stuck his chin out and accepted the consequences of his
actions and didn't let it destroy him. That's what made him one of the
greatest in my book, not his ability in the ring.

Those were religious beliefs he couldn't claim to hold as a Christian.
But most of us aren't international celebrity amateur boxing champions.

What has his celebrity status got to do with anything, he said no I'm not
going,
he went to jail, they stripped him of his Professional Boxing title, and his
license to fight
he did his time, he won his title back. He took a stand for his beliefs,
that they were religious
matters not, what matters is how he stood for his beliefs. He stood for
them
like a man.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Default Rules for border crossings into the United States

On Jul 23, 11:21 am, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
Sapphyre wrote:
I don't even let employers know that much about me, I show my citizenship ID
card

Canadian CITIZENS are required to carry proof of citizenship? Thus far,
that's an infringement on personal liberty not yet imposed on US citizens.

You have to show photo ID for getting some jobs, so they know they're
hiring you, not someone with your SIN card who says they're you
because you have a criminal record. Three employers I've had have
photocopied my ID, SIN card, and had me sign for background checks.

I don't have to carry it with me, I have to carry ID with me to
identify me. If I have my driver's license, that should be good
enough, since I had to show something to the MOT to get a DL. I carry
the Citizenship ID card in case I need it, it's photo ID and proves
I'm a citizen. I prefer that to a passport for within Canada. Most
Canadians carry their birth certificate or Citizenship card, depending
on what applies, but not everyone does. You don't have to do it... I
don't get why you'd assume I had to carry it with me.

Is that your national health insurance number? Must employers use it for
tax witholding?

We have provincial health insurance (for just that, health insurance).
An SIN is like an SSN, if that helps you follow what I mean by that...

In the United States, religion is an illegal basis to deny hiring.
However, an employer is not required to give employees days off on
religious holidays. Are Canadian employers? From what you've described,
giving you a choice of working part time, allowing you to take all time
off for worship, or working full time with no time off for worship
doesn't sound like it would be illegal in the US.

I like to negotiate what I will be working before I start and agree
with the hours they give me. What I don't like is when they change
things with no notice and then pull that stunt. It's not illegal for
them not to hire me if I can't work a given day because their reason
could be "that's the day we need an employee", but to hire me with set
hours, then change all the terms of employment... Anyways, it's a long
story, I don't want to get into all that here since I don't even work
there anymore.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 23, 2:57 pm, Clark F Morris wrote:
As a landed immigrant, I have never heard about a citizenship ID card
and must remember to ask if one exists. The SIN is the Social
Insurance Number and it also is 9 digits.

Have you naturalized? If you have, go to Canadian Citizenship's
website and request "proof of citizenship". They will send you a
booklet in the mail with a receipt. You pay the receipt directly at a
bank and send it in with your proof. It goes through everything you
need.

A natural born Canadian citizen can also request this card, which I
recommended to many of my customers who had the "I don't have much ID
because I don't drive" problem. So far as I know, almost everyone I
know who has one has landed and naturalized.

Just check the website... don't "ask if it exists", ask how to get
"Proof of Canadian Citizenship". And if that's too much trouble, ask
the folks at your local corner store (in Ontario for certain, not sure
about other places) to see a laminate of valid ID. It shows a picture
of the card I'm talking about.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 23, 3:04 pm, Clark F Morris wrote:
At 14 percent, it sounds like you live in one of the three provinces
that has HST, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and I believe Newfoundland
and Labrador (one province and the only provincial / state
jurisdiction in North American with AND in it). Thus I am baffled at
the Ontario surtax.

Ontario PST plus GST is 14%, it's just not combined.

Every province has PST except Alberta, but I couldn't tell you the
rates for each province since I have only ever visited... I can't even
tell you the tax rates for any states except maybe California and
Tennessee.

Everyone in Canada pays 6% GST, if you live in Ontario, you also pay
8% PST.

Do you guys ever look stuff up before responding as though I make
things up like types of ID, tax rates for where I live, etc? This
stuff is all easily available on the Internet.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Default OT: Canadian ID and citizenship was Immigration Patrols On Domestic Amtrak

On Jul 23, 3:09 pm, Clark F Morris wrote:
There are a number of people in Canada who found out that they lost
their citizenship due to obscure changes in the law regarding time
spent out of country and other things. Many World War II brides have
gotten caught by another change. I don't recall the details but the
CBC web-site (Canada's national radio/TV network)www.cbc.cashould
have more information.

There are articles posted that if you are "a Canadian Citizen born
outside of Canada to a Canadian parent also born outside of Canada..."
That you must take steps to secure your citizenship before you turn
28. It's rather long and complicated, just something I remember
reading.

Canada is rather confusing with the number of rules we have, quite
frankly I'd rather get to know the US forms and regulations than the
Canadian ones. Doing taxes here is a pain, I have to wonder if
Americans have an easier time with their yearly taxes than we do.

S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

On Jul 23, 3:55 pm, "Adam H. Kerman" wrote:
Thanks for confirming my guess, but it would have been more fun to let
me believe that it was for something else...

Is SIN used as a taxpayer identification number too?

It stands for Social Insurance Number, but I often forget readers on
Usenet might not know what we do in Canada, so I should clarify what
these acronyms mean if I'm going to use them.

We supply or SIN when we get new employment, receive welfare/
disability, contribute/withdraw from Canada Pension Plan, contribute
to Employment Insurance, open an interest bearing savings account,
start up a Registered Retirement Savings Plan, buy Canada Savings
Bonds (or Ontario Savings Bonds, don't know if these exist elsewhere),
ummm... someone else from Canada might have more to add to this list.
Credit card companies and lenders often ask for it, but I don't know
if that's legal or what the legislation says about loans and credit.
I've heard it's not legal for them to ask, but then they often refuse
to lend unless it's been provided.

So yes, it is a tax payer identification number. It comes on a little
white plastic card that isn't embossed (not anymore), nor does it
contain a signature (if you've received one after 2004). It says on
the card it's not a valid ID card, however some businesses will still
look at it as ID (Canada Post accepts it for collecting registered
mail, and it's required for processing of student loans).

Hope this helps...
S.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to alt.culture.ny-upstate,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:05:33 GMT, "Whitelightning"
wrote:

"Adam H. Kerman" wrote in message
freenews.net...
Whitelightning wrote:
wrote:
"Whitelightning" said:

I suppose WWII era had a few draft dodgers, but no one has ever said.

yes they did and if caught they did jail time. One who ran in the face of
the enemy was caught, convicted and shot.

Uh. If he ran in the face of the enemy he wasn't a draft dodger.

Does the liberty that America stands for allow Americans to decide for
themselves if fighting in a war our government has committed us to is the
same as fighting for America?

No it does not, however your free to leave, or free to say no and go to jail
if you lose in court after saying no. I can respect the latter.

Assuming, of course, that there's a draft, which there hasn't
been for quite a few years now.

There were a large number of people who even after Pearl Harbor considered
WW2 Roosevelts war, not americas war.

The man I most admired who refused to go to Viet Nam was Ali, he stood up
for his beliefs, stuck his chin out and accepted the consequences of his
actions and didn't let it destroy him. That's what made him one of the
greatest in my book, not his ability in the ring.

Those were religious beliefs he couldn't claim to hold as a Christian.
But most of us aren't international celebrity amateur boxing champions.

What has his celebrity status got to do with anything, he said no I'm not
going, he went to jail,

Ali never went to jail.

they stripped him of his Professional Boxing title, and his
license to fight he did his time,

He didn't "do his time". His conviction was overturned by the
Supreme Court.

he won his title back.

Well, yeah, but.... Joe Frazier, the title holder, beat Ali.
Then, after quite a few other fights, Ali beat Frazier in a
rematch, but Frazier no longer held the title; George Foreman
held the title. Ali did - finally - regain the title by beating
Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle".

He took a stand for his beliefs, that they were religious
matters not, what matters is how he stood for his beliefs. He stood for
them like a man.

Well, OK. But you said one is "free to say no and go to jail if
you lose in court after saying no. I can respect the latter."
Since Ali lost in court but did not go to jail but rather fought
to stay out, and subsequently had his conviction overturned on
appeal, where does your respect go in that case?