Carnival Ecstasy: 5 day cruise to nowhere?

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

Default Carnival Ecstasy: 5 day cruise to nowhere?

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

If I'm reading this correctly, passengers on the current 5 day cruise on
Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston will basically be getting a 5 day cruise
to nowhere due to the Swine Influenza outbreak in Mexico.

The current 5 day cruise on Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans is only
making one unscheduled port of call to Key West.

I wonder if these passengers will still have to be processed through Customs
even though they never visited a foreign destination?

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Andy P. Jung" nospam@invalid wrote in message
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

If I'm reading this correctly, passengers on the current 5 day cruise on
Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston will basically be getting a 5 day cruise
to nowhere due to the Swine Influenza outbreak in Mexico.

The current 5 day cruise on Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans is only
making one unscheduled port of call to Key West.

I wonder if these passengers will still have to be processed through
Customs even though they never visited a foreign destination?

Probably. When a ship is gone that long, even with a declared itinerary, it
has been out of the country long enough to have reached a foreign port. The
Customs rigmarole might be more cursory this time, but I believe it still
has to be done.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old April 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 4/29/2009 7:56 AM, George Leppla wrote:

"Andy P. Jung" nospam@invalid wrote in message
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

If I'm reading this correctly, passengers on the current 5 day cruise
on Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston will basically be getting a 5 day
cruise to nowhere due to the Swine Influenza outbreak in Mexico.

The current 5 day cruise on Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans is
only making one unscheduled port of call to Key West.

I wonder if these passengers will still have to be processed through
Customs even though they never visited a foreign destination?

Probably. When a ship is gone that long, even with a declared itinerary,
it has been out of the country long enough to have reached a foreign
port. The Customs rigmarole might be more cursory this time, but I
believe it still has to be done.

Wouldn't it be illegal if there weren't one foreign port but
they did make a stop in the US? Do they make allowances for
cases like this where they have to cancel a port?

Bill
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

People have been trying to figure out the PSA for over 100 years. I believe
that a round-trip cruise originating in NOLA with one stop in Key West would
violate the act, but since the main thrust of the PSA is to prevent
transportation of passengers "between" US cities, they might give them a
pass in view of the circumstances.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

BTW - I just saw a report that said that 35,000 people in the US die of the
flu every year. I don't know how much of this "swine flu" is really
dangerous and how much is media hype. Probably a little of both.

Old April 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 06:56:45 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"Andy P. Jung" nospam@invalid wrote in message
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

If I'm reading this correctly, passengers on the current 5 day cruise on
Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston will basically be getting a 5 day cruise
to nowhere due to the Swine Influenza outbreak in Mexico.

The current 5 day cruise on Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans is only
making one unscheduled port of call to Key West.

I wonder if these passengers will still have to be processed through
Customs even though they never visited a foreign destination?

Probably. When a ship is gone that long, even with a declared itinerary, it
has been out of the country long enough to have reached a foreign port. The
Customs rigmarole might be more cursory this time, but I believe it still
has to be done.

We didn't go through customs sailing into Los Angeles from Honolulu on
the Pride of Hawaii. They didn't even require passports to board,
just a driver's license.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Andy P. Jung" nospam@invalid:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

If I'm reading this correctly, passengers on the current 5 day cruise on
Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston will basically be getting a 5 day cruise
to nowhere due to the Swine Influenza outbreak in Mexico.

The current 5 day cruise on Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans is only
making one unscheduled port of call to Key West.

I wonder if these passengers will still have to be processed through Customs
even though they never visited a foreign destination?

Now 7 day cruises on May 2 (today) and the May 11 cruise has been
moved up to May 9 as a 7 day, with the May 7 cruise cancelled.

ITN
Sea day
Mo Bay
Grand Cayman
Sea day
Sea day

Carnival will handle air for people who booked air through them, and
pay up to $150 per person for people who booked their own air. The
May 7 people will receive a refund or a credit for anything before
December 31, 2010 and a $50 person OBC. Fares protected for 5 days
converted to 7 day. No word beyond that.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.