Key West in Jan.??

Old April 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Default Key West in Jan.??

We are sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas in Jan. 2010 and they have
changed the itin. for the second time without telling us. We were
originally going to Progreso/Cozumel, then it was Costa Maya/Cozumel and
now I just found out we are going to Key West/Cozumel.

I know they can change the ports for no reason at all, but it would be
nice if they had let us know about the change.

My question to all of you who know Key West is what kind of weather can
we expect the end of Jan? We have been in Fort Lauderdale that time of
year and sometime it is pleasant, other times very windy and nasty. Key
West is further south, but near the gulf stream, so would that make it
better? I know the average temp that time of year is 70, could be good
or bad.

thanks,
sue

Old April 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Apr 30, 3:00*pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
We are sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas in Jan. 2010 and they have
changed the itin. for the second time without telling us. We were
originally going to Progreso/Cozumel, then it was Costa Maya/Cozumel and
now I just found out we are going to Key West/Cozumel.

I know they can change the ports for no reason at all, but it would be
nice if they had let us know about the change.

My question to all of you who know Key West is what kind of weather can
we expect the end of Jan? *We have been in Fort Lauderdale that time of
year and sometime it is pleasant, other times very windy and nasty. Key
West is further south, but near the gulf stream, so would that make it
better? I know the average temp that time of year is 70, could be good
or bad.

We've been there twice ... once it was quite tropical ... the other
time it was sweaters ... usually the cold fronts don't make it down
that far ... but they can and instead of the usual high of 80 you'll
have a small chance of the high 60's for a high ...

Old April 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

number6 wrote:
[...]

High 60s isn't bad for sightseeing, but being just a 5 day cruise, I
think I want to be more certain of tropical weather.lol If this was part
of a 7 day or longer cruise I would be fine with the change.

At this point I am still upset about the change in itin. and the fact
that I was never notified about it. I was looking to send the itin to a
friend and that is the only reason I know they changed our ports.

I was just checking other dates in Jan. & Feb. and only two sailings
have been changed to Key West, ours and one other.

Guess this weekend we will have to decide if we want Key West or Costa
Maya and call our travel agent on Monday.

Thanks number6!!

sue - who doesn't know which way to go.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Thanks for the quick reply Liz and it sounds like the weather would be
fine for us.

Key West has been on our "must do" list and there is more to see and do
then can be done in one day. I am just not sure it is what we want on this
cruise, we were so looking forward to seeing some Mayan Ruins in Costa
Maya. Guess we have a lot of thinking to do now.lol

sue

We've been to Key West several times. It's actually one of my least
favorite ports. No nice beaches (I'd rate Smathers as a C- at best compared
to places like Trunk Bay or Princess Cay). No snorkeling. I'm not
interested in cats (allergies). The museum wasn't very good (you want a
museum, try the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam or the Hermitage in St.
Petersburg). It's a place that's basically loaded with bars (and the bars
aren't as good as the ones in Cozumel). You said "there is more to see and
do then can be done in one day", but honestly I'm not sure what there is to
do in 1 day.

--Tom

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

SUE:
Watch out for all the chickens that roam about freely in key west

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old May 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:

We've been to Key West several times. It's actually one of my least
favorite ports. No nice beaches (I'd rate Smathers as a C- at best compared
to places like Trunk Bay or Princess Cay). No snorkeling.

We are not interested in the beaches in Key West, so no big deal here.

The museum wasn't very good (you want a
museum, try the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam or the Hermitage in St.
Petersburg).

I am a New Yorker(living elsewhere now) and grew up going to all the
museums that NY has to offer. I never expect a museum to be up to NY
standards, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth stopping at.
Amsterdam or St Petersburg just don't fit into our schedule right
now(grin).

It's a place that's basically loaded with bars (and the bars
aren't as good as the ones in Cozumel). You said "there is more to see and
do then can be done in one day", but honestly I'm not sure what there is to
do in 1 day.

To be honet it has been some time since I investigated what to do in Key
West, but I remember thinking there is lots to enjoy there. One thing I
do remember is that I have to have some Key Lime Pie in Key West.

sue
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Sue Mullen wrote:

Tom K wrote:

We've been to Key West several times. It's actually one of my least
favorite ports. No nice beaches (I'd rate Smathers as a C- at best compared
to places like Trunk Bay or Princess Cay). No snorkeling.

We are not interested in the beaches in Key West, so no big deal here.

We lived in Key West for three years in the late 60s and have spend
the winter in the Keys for several years on our boat and also visited
by land. We also went by cruise ship last winter. Key West is just
not a beach place, and anyone who expects it to be a beach place is
destined to be disappointed. The best beach isn't Smathers Beach
anyway - if you can't get to Bahia Honda, it is the one at Fort
Taylor. Fort Taylor is also interesting to tour.

The museum wasn't very good (you want a
museum, try the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam or the Hermitage in St.
Petersburg).

I am a New Yorker(living elsewhere now) and grew up going to all the
museums that NY has to offer. I never expect a museum to be up to NY
standards, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth stopping at.
Amsterdam or St Petersburg just don't fit into our schedule right
now(grin).

Key West isn't really a museum place either and it is ridiculous to
compare it to the Hermitage.

It's a place that's basically loaded with bars (and the bars
aren't as good as the ones in Cozumel). You said "there is more to see and
do then can be done in one day", but honestly I'm not sure what there is to
do in 1 day.

To be honest it has been some time since I investigated what to do in Key
West, but I remember thinking there is lots to enjoy there. One thing I
do remember is that I have to have some Key Lime Pie in Key West.

We found plenty to do in Key West and we do not go to bars. It
depends on your interests of course. Since we have done most of these
things one or more times, the last time we were there (on a cruise
ship), we just went to the cemetery which is quite interesting.

The Conch Train tour is touristy but worthwhile as a good way to get
an overview. The reference to the cats was about the Hemingway house,
which has all the six toed cats. But I think it is overpriced and we
haven't been since the 60s. The Audubon House and the Oldest
House/Wreckers Museum are much better. There is a very nice museum in
connection with the lighthouse, there is a butterfly conservatory
(live butterflies), and the aquarium is also interesting. You may or
may not be there at a time to see the sunset activities at Mallory
Square.

And of course there are the Key Lime pies, and the Cuban restaurants,
seafood places etc.

Old May 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:
Tom K wrote:

[...]

If we don't switch to a different cruise we will be in Key West from
11am to 6pm, but don't think we would stay ashore for all that time.

I knew you had lived in Key West and was hoping you would reply. What do
you think about the weather the end of Jan., more likely to be pleasant
or more likely to be cool and nasty. I know you aren't a weather person,
but just trying to see what people who have spent time there think is
more likely.

At this point I am leaning towards seeing is we can switch to a date
that gives us Costa Maya instead of Key West.

I have filed your email away in case we stay with this cruise.

sue