Key West in Jan.??

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Key West in Jan.??

On May 2, 4:31*pm, Sue Mullen wrote:
Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake Sue Mullen :

We are sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas in Jan. 2010 and they have
changed the itin. for the second time without telling us. We were
originally going to Progreso/Cozumel, then it was Costa Maya/Cozumel and
now I just found out we are going to Key West/Cozumel.

I know they can change the ports for no reason at all, but it would be
nice if they had let us know about the change.

My question to all of you who know Key West is what kind of weather can
we expect the end of Jan? *We have been in Fort Lauderdale that time of
year and sometime it is pleasant, other times very windy and nasty. Key
West is further south, but near the gulf stream, so would that make it
better? I know the average temp that time of year is 70, could be good
or bad.

thanks,
sue

We've been there several times in December and it was quite pleasant.
Maybe a tad cool well after sunset, but not bad.

Our ship leaves at 6pm, so we will be onboard by about 5ish. For now we
have decided to stay with this cruise and hope the weather is ok. If
not, there is always the lovely solarium to enjoy.lol

Of course with over 8 months to go, we might change our minds or RCCL
might change the itin. again.

sue

Sue, we're booked on Cal's Transatlantic next March 21. However, the
thought of going through the winter without a getaway to a warm
climate was making us crazy. We do usually spend a week or so in
Marco Island visiting my parents, but as others have said, southeast
Floriday can experience iffy weather that time of year.

I found a very good rate for HAL Westerdam (one of our favorite
ships). We booked Jan. 3, 2010. It's 7 night from Ft. Lauderdale
with stops in Aruba, Curacao, and HMC (we've done this itinerary twice
before). I like this particular itinerary because we're sure to have
warm temps that far into the southern caribbean.

We'll do the Oceania Regatta with Cal's group, and then the MOAGC on
Oasis in Oct. 2010. We had to put all our cruise plans on hold for
2009 with Matt and Cathleen's wedding putting a dent into our cruise
budget, so we're hoping to make up for it in 2010.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Dillon Pyron wrote:
[...]

Now that I read about your sons wedding, I figured out who you were. I
don't think I have seen this email address before.lol

There are lots of great cruises we could take if timing and port were
not an issue. Our plan is to visit our friends in The Villages and then
add on a short cruise from Tampa, just about an hour away from them.
With just a little more then two years to go, we need to visit the
Villages and see if it is as great as everyone tells us it is.

I had looked at the Freedom from Orlando, but I think 7 days is too much
on top of the time we will be spending in the Villages ahead of time.

I am glad to hear that we will get to see you on the MOAGC on the Oasis.

sue
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Rosalie B. :

Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

Plus if you aren't docked at Mallory Square (and most ships are not
docked there), the Conch Train comes out to the ship and picks you up.

First time I was on a cruise that did Key West we were not docked at
Mallory Square, but the next three times, two times docked at Mallory
Square and one time tendered to Mallory Square.

We've been to Mallory Square twice - once specifically for the sunset
celebration when staying on land, and once our cruise ship docked
there. You can see why they don't want ships docked there at sunset
as the ship casts a BIG shadow over the square and no one can see the
sunset with the ship there. So they make the ship leave before sunset
or else they have to pay a big supplement. The reason the ship we
were on was there was because it was too rough to get into Grand
Cayman so we got there a day early. Grandeur of the Seas and Majesty
of the Seas were behind us so they only block the view from the motel.
But they still come in in the morning and leave in the evening.

The Disney Magic used to be there until 11, but changed to 6 a few
years back.

When we were on the Rhapsody ofS, it left at midnight. Actually,
11:59 pm.

The square was packed.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Old May 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sun, 03 May 2009 09:49:10 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Sue Mullen wrote:

Thumper wrote:
On Sat, 02 May 2009 00:16:30 -0400, Sue Mullen
wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:
We are sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas in Jan. 2010 and they have
changed the itin. for the second time without telling us. We were
originally going to Progreso/Cozumel, then it was Costa Maya/Cozumel
and now I just found out we are going to Key West/Cozumel.

I know they can change the ports for no reason at all, but it would be
nice if they had let us know about the change.

My question to all of you who know Key West is what kind of weather
can we expect the end of Jan? We have been in Fort Lauderdale that
time of year and sometime it is pleasant, other times very windy and
nasty. Key West is further south, but near the gulf stream, so would
that make it better? I know the average temp that time of year is 70,
could be good or bad.

thanks,
sue

I have been there early Feb when it was windy and cold-ish! Had to buy
a long sleeve t-shirt in town to warm up! I think S Florida, Bahamas in
Jan Feb can be subject to cold-ish spells on occasion.
This is what concerns me, but at least coming from a colder climate I
will have a coat or something with me. I can also check the weather a
few days ahead of time and pack something heavy if it is going to be
nasty. Of course there is another choice if the weather is nasty, stay
on the ship and enjoy the lovely solarium.

For now we are going to stay with this cruise, the date and everything
fits well with our plans to visit The Villages which we have to do.

sue

If you have never been to Key West the tour of the Island is wall
worth it in my opinion. It really covers the whole Island and covers
nearly every interesting high spot that I can think of.

We have never been there yet, but it has been on our list. From
everything I have read in the past, I think with a little planning we
can see what interests us on our own.

But that's not what the Conch train tour is. It isn't a hop on hop
off tour that just shows you where things are - it tells the history
and stories about the non-tourist things. Sure they show you where
the Truman White House and the Southernmost Point are, but they also
show you the house with the gingerbread trim in the shape of little
gingerbread men, and explain the architecture. And it doesn't take
long to do it - I think it is only a couple of hours.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2b13e/#TL

Plus if you aren't docked at Mallory Square (and most ships are not
docked there), the Conch Train comes out to the ship and picks you up.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/4375...s-Key_West.jpg

This is the view as we went past Majesty of the Seas to dock at
Mallory Square. The next day, Grandeur of the Seas was there.

Rosalie, I've been trying for a year now to place your husband but it
finally came to me that I can't really remember any of the S2 pilots I
flew with. They sat in front and I sat in back and we briefly said
hello coming and going. I must have flown with him if he was there in
'65-'67. Oh well I actually have big gaps remembering those years.
I realize that so many things happened day in and day out that only
things way out of the ordinary are remembered.
Thumper
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Sun, 03 May 2009 16:37:04 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Charles wrote:

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I think that docking there has actually ruined the Mallory Square
experience. It was great in the old days when the bartenders would
give a 10 minute heads up to sundown and we would just leave our
drinks on the bar and stroll over and back.
Thumper