Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Danni

"Karen Segboer" wrote in message
This is a different story than you related earlier. So, you DID get
into the store. Your original remarks led to believe you were
prohibited from entering with your dog.

I believe the operative words were "tried to stop". Indicating that an
attempt was made.

Old March 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Becca

E.k.R. wrote:

I never said they didn't have dozens of stores, but they tend not to be in
expensive communities.

It must be different, depending on where you live. Two of the stores
near me are located in affluent communities. The stores are clean and
people shop in them, in spite of all the protesting that was done before
the stores were built. I shop at Wal-Mart maybe 4 times per year. The
stores are just too big for me. Target is near work, so I go there.

Becca -----does not like to shop, anywhere, anytime...

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Rich Greene \([email protected]\)

"Linsifer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would hope that a cruise passenger isn't planning on coming out with
bags and bags of bargains while in port. But, as someone else
mentioned, what's the big deal about going in and buying some film or
suntan lotion? When we were in Cabo my daughter had to find a store to
purchase some Aloe Lotion for a sunburn and she would gladly have
bought it at a Wal*Mart had there been one, considering the price she
paid in Cabo. So, no, I don't think I would be spending hours shopping
for my kids' school clothes or the cheapest household cleaners...but a
quick "in and out" for a sundry item isn't going to suddenly turn me
into a "tourist who gravitates toward every Wal*Mart in port". :-)

Lindsay

Ah, good ol'Cabo. We have a timeshare there. To my surprise when we
were there last year, they up and built a COSTCO. Needless to say it's
very popular with timeshare folks and the locals. Prices posted are in
Pesos and selection is really great. But for timeshare folks with family,
it's definitely a money saver and they sell booze and cigs very reasonable.
I don't think the cruise ship passengers go there though. Can't see someone
carrying a case of popcorn up the gangplank.

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Rich Greene \([email protected]\)

"E.k.R." wrote in message
. ..

"Chrissy Cruiser" wrote in message
news
Oh, Ernie, baloney. They have dozens of stores in Roswell, Alpharetta,
North Fulton County, etc etc. No problems in their development.

Plenty of problems with their development. Do you read the paper? Right
in my own community in Cobb County their was a major one. Wal-Mart was
defeated. There are at least two more battles with Wal-Mart in Cobb
County that I know of.

I never said they didn't have dozens of stores, but they tend not to be in
expensive communities. People all over the country now see Wal-Mart for
the negative impact it may have on their community and many are doing
their best to stop them. I don't think I've seen too many Wal-Marts next
to the million dollar homes in Roswell or Alpharetta. Sure they have them
there, but on the "other side" of town.

For someone that doesn't like Wal-Mart, you sure seem to take offense when
people mention negative things about them. Chill out. This is not a
lesson in socio-economics ... just people stating personal opinions about
a discount store. You seem to be taking it personal for some reason.

Ernie

For every build they lose they will gain two or three someplace else.
They are in Germany now too.

Nobody has mentioned that Wal Mart allows RVers to park overnight in
their parking lots for free. A good business decision providing some idiot
doesn't dump his dirty water tank in the lot.

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On 27 Mar 2005 17:21:50 -0800, John Chapman wrote:

I happen to live in Canada
which, like virtually all other developed countries, happens to
provide their citizens
with universal (if not perfect) health care. Why should it be an
employers' obligation to provide health benefits anyway? Isn't
providing a job enough?
And what's wrong with buying Chinese goods? The last time I looked,
they still buy more from Canada than we do from them. Get your
massive trade and fiscal
deficits in order, then provide at least basic health care to the
large percentage of your population currently without it before you
start lecturing me not to shop at Wal-Mart (not my favourite store
anyway, BTW). JOHN

Point well made, John.