Best Cities in Europe

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Drewsie

Default Best Cities in Europe

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:01 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Drewsie wrote:

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Bratislava. Ask DFM.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Claim Guy

"Drewsie" wrote in message
oups.com...

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Bad idea for a thread....

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Peter Ginsberg

Best for what? The churches, the ruins, the food, the culture, the
antiquities, the art, the museums, the nightlife, the landscape, the
wine, the hash bars, the what?

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:05:48 -0400, "Claim Guy"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Drewsie wrote:

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Billions of people survived without ever having seen any European city.
So far for the "must".

Jens
--
POTIVS AMICVM QVAM DICTVM PERDERE
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Peter Ginsberg

And similar numbers who have survived without leaving the village, but
don't you find that travel expands your mind? It's my belief that
Americans should visit countries where they don't know the language
and the customs are a bit strange. We are so provincial in that our
country is so big and homogenized, we tend to get caught with tunnel
vision.

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:19 PM

"What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?"

As someone who's travelled extensively in other parts of the world as
well as Europe, I would say that the absolute must-sees in Europe are
London, Paris, and Rome.

Those three cities played a huge role in European history and culture,
and contain many of the greatest works of art and architecture.

There are many other wonderful places in Europe, and there's a lot more
to Europe than major cities, but those three are in a class by
themselves.

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Miss L. Toe

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gvn3i7.1iu559f1tuyj07N%this_address_is_for_s ...
Drewsie wrote:

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Bratislava. Ask DFM.

I though he liked Milano so much he decided to live there.... (with Martin).

Old April 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM
punktilious

"Drewsie" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

If you've never been to Europe then every major city is pretty much a
"must-see". So what you do is get a map of Europe, hang it on the wall, get
a dart, close your eyes and throw the dart towards the map. Wherever the
dart lands is the next "must see" city for you in Europe.

Believe it or not, I did this, almost, when I first went to Europe many many
years ago. My random choice happened to be Munich, serendipitously. Since
then, I have been to many other cities in Europe and they're all "must sees"
in one way or another.

Old April 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Peter Ginsberg

I like Milano. The Central Station alone is worth going there. Built
by Mussolini, it is a monument to his vision of a reborn Italy. It is
majestic, cavernous and regal. It is one of the best stations in
Europe. La Scala is also impressive as is the Cathedral. There's the
Last Supper and a slew of world class restaurants serving typical
Milanese cuisine. It's also a great jumping off point for Switzerland
, Bergamo, Como and other places for the day. But my main favorite is
the main station.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:08:32 +0200, nitram wrote:

Drewsie wrote:

What are the must-see cities in Europe and why?

Bratislava. Ask DFM.

I though he liked Milano so much he decided to live there.... (with Martin).

Nah Miss L.Toe it's you who thinks Milano is the best place in the
universe. I haven't been to Milan since 1996, the last time I was paid
to go there. The idea of going there for a holiday is laughable.