Cruise ship passengers admitted to hospital 'with Legionnaires' symptoms'

Old July 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Phil[_1_]

Default Cruise ship passengers admitted to hospital 'with Legionnaires' symptoms'

Okay this appears to be a little more than the 24-48 hour bug we keep
reading about.

http://tinyurl.com/3bnx2v

Phil

--
Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam Schedule http://www.seacruisechat.com
Cruise FAQ's http://www.seacruisechat.com/faqs.htm

1) Virginity like bubble, one prick, all gone.
2) Man who run behind car get exhausted.
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

"Phil" wrote in message
Okay this appears to be a little more than the 24-48 hour bug we keep
reading about.

http://tinyurl.com/3bnx2v

Phil

Legionella: will it grow in salt water? Or, where the pools freshwater and
heavily chlorinated? My bet is on the airconditioning HVAC system
being the cause. But, this could happen anywhere, including homes with
the DHW turned below 120 degrees.

Old July 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steph Peters

Phil of Shaw Residential Internet wrote:

Okay this appears to be a little more than the 24-48 hour bug we keep
reading about.

Eek! We are sailing on the Black Watch around the Baltic on 28 August. I'm
a regular swimmer at home so was planning on daily use of the pools.
--
Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have learned
when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee. W.S. Krabill
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Cruise ship passengers admitted to hospital 'withLegionnaires'...

I still think the virus comes from the hot tubs,and the swimming
pools,why else would they at the first sign of the illness close down
the hot tubs,and even tho they chlorinate the water,it still takes time
for the chemicals to work

cruise lover

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
I still think the virus comes from the hot tubs,and the swimming
pools,why else would they at the first sign of the illness close down
the hot tubs,and even tho they chlorinate the water,it still takes time
for the chemicals to work

cruise lover

Could be, the water certainly isn't hot enough to kill the bacteria..
I don't know if chlorine has an effect on it or not... It would
be nice to have more info, since we use the spas alot.

Pete

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 7/29/2007 4:42 PM Surfer E2468 exclaimed:
I still think the virus comes from the hot tubs,and the swimming
pools,why else would they at the first sign of the illness close down
the hot tubs,and even tho they chlorinate the water,it still takes time
for the chemicals to work

cruise lover

Legionella drew it's name from it's first outbreak at a Legionnaire's
convention. This was not on a cruise ship or near hot tubs or swimming
pools. The contagion was isolated in the hotel's ventilating system.
Unless cruise ships keep their heating and air conditioning ventilating
systems dry and clean, they will provide a perfect growing medium for
legionella.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
I still think the virus comes from the hot tubs,and the swimming
pools,why else would they at the first sign of the illness close down
the hot tubs,and even tho they chlorinate the water,it still takes time
for the chemicals to work

cruise lover

Could be, the water certainly isn't hot enough to kill the bacteria..
I don't know if chlorine has an effect on it or not... It would
be nice to have more info, since we use the spas alot.

Pete

Pete and Annie,
The common denominator is water contaminated with the bacteria that causes
the disease.
Most often, people develop Legionnaires' disease after they inhale bacteria,
called legionella, which flourish in large air conditioning systems,
showers, whirlpool spas and hot tubs. So that is why they shut down the
pools and hot tubs. It happens in nursing homes, hotels and prisons as well
as on cruise ships. The elderly, smokers and people with suppressed immune
systems are most vulnerable...

--Jean

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article .net,
Brian K wrote:

Legionella drew it's name from it's first outbreak at a Legionnaire's
convention. This was not on a cruise ship or near hot tubs or swimming
pools. The contagion was isolated in the hotel's ventilating system.
Unless cruise ships keep their heating and air conditioning ventilating
systems dry and clean, they will provide a perfect growing medium for
legionella.

There was a case where the Legionnaires occurred on a cruise ship and
the cause tracked to a faulty filter in a hot tub. That was on the
Celebrity Horizon. Back in the 90's. A bunch got it and one passenger
died. Celebrity originally won a 190 million dollar lawsuit against the
manufacturer of the filter but that was recently reduced by a court to
15 million.

--
Charles
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

I still think the virus comes from the hot tubs,and the swimming
pools,why else would they at the first sign of the illness close down
the hot tubs,and even tho they chlorinate the water,it still takes time
for the chemicals to work

Whirlpools and hot tubs are possible culprits but not the swimming
pools. Water at swimming pool temperature is too cool for the bacteria.
Hot tub temperature which is around 100 degrees is perfect for the
bacteria.

--
Charles