Driving in France

Old October 31st, 2011, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default Driving in France

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

Cathy L.
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

Cathy L writes:

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

I rented a car for 4 days in August. From Avis in Nice, returned to
the train station in Orange. I rented in advance, from the US.

It was easy. I did _not_ drive around Paris and environs though.

Old October 31st, 2011, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Emerson Layken-Palmer

"Cathy L" wrote in message

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

No, stupid, it's impossible.

"Well, that pretty much does it. It looks like this newsgroup has gone
the way of the CB radio. It is ruined by a few people that, for some
strange reason, choose to belittle anyone that asks for help.

I trust you all enjoy each others warped sense of humor. Have a great
life." -- Cathy L

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 10/31/2011 2:51 PM, Doug Anderson wrote:
Cathy writes:

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

I rented a car for 4 days in August. From Avis in Nice, returned to
the train station in Orange. I rented in advance, from the US.

It was easy. I did _not_ drive around Paris and environs though.

Second that, especially at rush hour. After once renting a car from a
Paris agency and bringing it back during the rush hour, I resolved never
again.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:28:23 -0400, Cathy L wrote:

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

Cathy L.

It's not too bad if you bone up on the traffic signs
and invest in a little French language lesson.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"Cathy L" wrote in message
We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

Why should it be difficult?

--
JohnT

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 131

No we don't want anglos to drive on our beautiful roads, please stay home.

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Cathy writes:

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

I rented a car for 4 days in August. From Avis in Nice, returned to
the train station in Orange. I rented in advance, from the US.

It was easy. I did _not_ drive around Paris and environs though.

Second that, especially at rush hour. After once renting a car from a
Paris agency and bringing it back during the rush hour, I resolved never
again.

But couldn't you say the same for rush hour traffic in ANY large city,
ANYWHERE? (Not only Paris, London, Los Angeles or New York, but even
Phoenix AZ.)
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doug Anderson

Cathy writes:

We are thinking of taking another trip to France. Do you think it is
easy to just rent a car and drive around?

I rented a car for 4 days in August. From Avis in Nice, returned to
the train station in Orange. I rented in advance, from the US.

It was easy. I did _not_ drive around Paris and environs though.

Second that, especially at rush hour. After once renting a car from
a Paris agency and bringing it back during the rush hour, I resolved
never again.

But couldn't you say the same for rush hour traffic in ANY large city,
ANYWHERE? (Not only Paris, London, Los Angeles or New York, but even
Phoenix AZ.)

Certainly driving around big unfamiliar cities at rush hour is no
picnic.

But not all large cities at rush hour are created equal. To name two
I happen to know: Portland and Seattle.

It is much easier to recover from a mistake in Portland than in
Seattle.

I don't know what Paris is like to drive around in first-hand, but if
I wanted to compare with another large European capital city: I'd
rather be driving around Berlin than Paris or Rome or London at rush
hour.

Also, for me, my French is adequate for touristic purposes, but it is
slow and I'm not especially familiar with traffic patterns and signs.
So I don't like to be in situations where I would have to react
quickly.