Walking/bus - Dublin

Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:00 AM
G&G

Default Walking/bus - Dublin

This is in response to a previous post by Marc.
The on/off bus tours are great, but there's not that much to see in Dublin.
A day tour would probably be ample.
You can also bus down to Naas or the pretty seaport southeast of Dublin on
the coast (can't remember the name).
Pura Vida,

Old December 23rd, 2004, 01:11 AM
Padraig Breathnach

"G&G" wrote:

This is in response to a previous post by Marc.
The on/off bus tours are great, but there's not that much to see in Dublin.
A day tour would probably be ample.

What? I know Bewley's is gone, but there are a few things remaining.

You can also bus down to Naas

Naas? You have to be kidding. A small town with little of special
interest which has become a dormitory town for Dublin.

or the pretty seaport southeast of Dublin on
the coast (can't remember the name).

I suppose you mean Dun Laoghaire. It's okay, but pretty is overstating
it considerably. You want pretty, go to Howth, a fishing and
recreational port to the north-east -- easily reached by commuter rail
from the city centre. Good restaurants, too.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
congokid

In message , Padraig
Breathnach writes
"G&G" wrote:

or the pretty seaport southeast of Dublin on
the coast (can't remember the name).

I suppose you mean Dun Laoghaire. It's okay, but pretty is overstating
it considerably.

I thought of Bray, but it's been so long since I've been there I
couldn't tell how pretty or otherwise it is.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Deep Frayed Morgues

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:11:49 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

"G&G" wrote:

or the pretty seaport southeast of Dublin on
the coast (can't remember the name).

I suppose you mean Dun Laoghaire. It's okay, but pretty is overstating
it considerably. You want pretty, go to Howth, a fishing and
recreational port to the north-east -- easily reached by commuter rail
from the city centre. Good restaurants, too.

And even better walking.

Padraig, perhaps you can answer a question for me. On the top of a
hill in the centre of the peninsular near the golf course, there is a
curious stone with something like "Right way, this way only" inscribed
on it, plus an arrow pointing nowhere in particular. Any idea what
this is about?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

You want pretty, go to Howth, a fishing and
recreational port to the north-east -- easily reached by commuter rail
from the city centre. Good restaurants, too.

And even better walking.

Yes.

Padraig, perhaps you can answer a question for me. On the top of a
hill in the centre of the peninsular near the golf course, there is a
curious stone with something like "Right way, this way only" inscribed
on it, plus an arrow pointing nowhere in particular. Any idea what
this is about?

The short answer is no. Have you considered the possibility of
eccentricity or whimsy?

Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Deep Frayed Morgues

wrote:

You want pretty, go to Howth, a fishing and
recreational port to the north-east -- easily reached by commuter rail
from the city centre. Good restaurants, too.

And even better walking.

Yes.

Padraig, perhaps you can answer a question for me. On the top of a
hill in the centre of the peninsular near the golf course, there is a
curious stone with something like "Right way, this way only" inscribed
on it, plus an arrow pointing nowhere in particular. Any idea what
this is about?

The short answer is no. Have you considered the possibility of
eccentricity or whimsy?

Never from the Irish!

On another side note, I hate Christmas, but I love Fairytale of New
York by The Pogues. Goddamn that's about the only sincere thing I have
heard all week.
--
---
Old December 23rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
congokid

In message , Deep Frayed
Morgues writes
wrote:

The short answer is no. Have you considered the possibility of
eccentricity or whimsy?

Never from the Irish!

I thought we were famed for it, or did I miss the irony? Many of my
friends like to refer to their home villages as virtual open asylums.
Being from the countryside I didn't personally experience that same
density of eccentricity.

On another side note, I hate Christmas, but I love Fairytale of New
York by The Pogues.

Voted best ever Christmas song by some VH1 UK last week.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4101207.stm

Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:44 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Deep Frayed Morgues wrote:

On another side note, I hate Christmas, but I love Fairytale of New
York by The Pogues. Goddamn that's about the only sincere thing I have
heard all week.

I'm with you on that. And very sorry that Kirsty McColl is no longer
among us.