Where will I clear US Immigration from SAN to YVR via LAX?

Old February 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Where will I clear US Immigration from SAN to YVR via LAX?

I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX, and what's the min timeI
required in LAX so I don't miss my LAX-YVR flight?
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paula

???????
SAN is San Diego is USA
LAX is Los Angelos is USA
YVR is Vancouver Canada

Being in SAN why would you clear US immigration?? You just go through
normal security In SAN. In Vancouver you need to clear Canada
immigration to be allowed into the country.
On the return trip you clear US immigration in Vancouver as the US has
in every Canadian airport a piece of "ground" deemed to be US soil,
hence leaving Canada to the US one clears immigration at the Canadian
airport.
Time in LAx depends on flights being on time and where the plane lands
and takes of from. No need to clear anything at LAX, UNLESS you decide
to leave the secure area say for going outside for a smoke; you then
will of course need to clear normal US security again.

Hope this helps.

Old February 24th, 2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

???????

wrote:
I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. * Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX, and what's the min timeI
required in LAX so I don't miss my LAX-YVR flight?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Paula - that does hep. What confuses me is that I've been
advised to check-in 2-3hrs prior to departure for an international
flight, and about 1 hr for a domestic flight. So when I go to make an
online booking for SAN-YVR on say, Alaska Airlines, they provide me
with options of stopping over in LAX (which I'd like to do) for 1 hour
to change flights. However, I'm not sure whether I should be allowing
more time given that the LAX-YVR is an international flight?
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Urs Mueller

Am 24.02.2008, 05:32 Uhr, schrieb :

Thanks Paula - that does hep. What confuses me is that I've been
advised to check-in 2-3hrs prior to departure for an international
flight, and about 1 hr for a domestic flight. So when I go to make an
online booking for SAN-YVR on say, Alaska Airlines, they provide me
with options of stopping over in LAX (which I'd like to do) for 1 hour
to change flights. However, I'm not sure whether I should be allowing
more time given that the LAX-YVR is an international flight?

Perhaps (most probably) a standard text.
Usually on international flights you got more people with more luggage,
different nationalities and so on. That goes on with more time needed for
check-in, making sure that all the paperwork is ok and other customs
stuff. The airline company or the check-in crew has to ensure, that no one
goes on the plane, that cannot enter the destination country (they have to
return usually such customers on their duty).
Don't know exactly, if this is also happening between close neighboors
like US and Canada.

--
Urs, Berne, Switzerland
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX,

No, all of the airports prior to YVR are in the USA

and what's the min timeI
required in LAX so I don't miss my LAX-YVR flight?

Ask your airline.

Keith

Old February 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
On Feb 24, 12:35 pm, paula wrote:

Thanks Paula - that does hep. What confuses me is that I've been
advised to check-in 2-3hrs prior to departure for an international
flight, and about 1 hr for a domestic flight. So when I go to make an
online booking for SAN-YVR on say, Alaska Airlines, they provide me
with options of stopping over in LAX (which I'd like to do) for 1 hour
to change flights. However, I'm not sure whether I should be allowing
more time given that the LAX-YVR is an international flight?

Providing your bags are checked through 1 hour should be fine.

Keith

Old February 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

wrote in message
I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX,

No, all of the airports prior to YVR are in the USA

And YVR has both Canadian and American immigration available, so as odd
as it sounds, you'll go through immigration twice.

I am curious what would happen in this situation if the traveler was
declined by Canadian immigration, would they be willing to return you to
the US by way of your second flight, or would you end up getting
returned to your destination?
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

wrote in message
I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX,

No, all of the airports prior to YVR are in the USA

And YVR has both Canadian and American immigration available, so as odd
as it sounds, you'll go through immigration twice.

I thought the US immigration was for flights to the US

I have only flown into YVR from the UK so only ever saw
Canadian immigration

Keith

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
.. .
In message "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

wrote in message
I'm booking a flight from SAN to YVR via LAX on Alaska Airlines. Do
I clear US immigration in SAN or LAX,

No, all of the airports prior to YVR are in the USA

And YVR has both Canadian and American immigration available, so as odd
as it sounds, you'll go through immigration twice.

I thought the US immigration was for flights to the US

I have only flown into YVR from the UK so only ever saw
Canadian immigration

Ahh, crap... Too many posts open, wrong reply