good guide book for Italy trip

Old November 8th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Timothy J. Bain

Default good guide book for Italy trip

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Old November 8th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Reid

Following up to Timothy J. Bain

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Have a look at the eyewitness series, you get street plans,
cutaways, diagrams, photos rather than lots of text, also
pictures of useful things like what a phone box/police car/bus
etc look like.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Maria

"Timothy J. Bain" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

I like most of the "daytrips" books. There may be a couple of
different ones that cover different parts of Italy (for example one
for hiking and one for the typical sightseeing tourist places). It
helps if you can look at them before purchase--that way if you're
looking for a place to stay or something else in particular, you can
see if the guidebook has it. For example, the "Daytrips Switzerland"
had places to stay but the "Daytrips London" didn't give any
suggestions for places to stay.

You can get a good idea of what Fodder's, Rick Steves and Frommer's
offer by checking out their websites before buying the books.
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:33 PM
tile

there are plenty of books about Italy
In Italy there are 20 regions
the Touring Club of Italy has different series of Guide books for each
region.
of course. the main towns deserve a guide book
for themselves.
I buy the guide books with less photos but a lot of informations.
they are called the red guides of the TCI
price about 15 to 25 eur each.
. ..

Old November 8th, 2003, 08:45 PM
tim

"Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Timothy J. Bain

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Have a look at the eyewitness series, you get street plans,
cutaways, diagrams, photos rather than lots of text, also
pictures of useful things like what a phone box/police car/bus
etc look like.

are these things really so hard to tell?

Tim

(BTW, if you'd said post box I would agree that it is)

Old November 8th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
"tim" wrote:

"Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Timothy J. Bain

I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Have a look at the eyewitness series, you get street plans,
cutaways, diagrams, photos rather than lots of text, also
pictures of useful things like what a phone box/police car/bus
etc look like.

are these things really so hard to tell?

No, but it is nice to see, as well as pictures of the money.

These are by far my preferred guide, its not so good on hotel
recommendations... but I pre-book those from other sources- like here.

jay
Sat, Nov 8, 2003

Tim

(BTW, if you'd said post box I would agree that it is)

--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking & photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this
site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all,
it's a spamtrap

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Reid

Following up to tim

Have a look at the eyewitness series, you get street plans,
cutaways, diagrams, photos rather than lots of text, also
pictures of useful things like what a phone box/police car/bus
etc look like.

are these things really so hard to tell?

Well....Letterboxes can be. Various police uniforms, local
police, guarda civil (i'm in Spain now). I find it useful.
Old November 8th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Terryo

"Timothy J. Bain" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for opinions on the best travel guide books for Italy. It
will be a gift for the in-laws, and not being that "adventurous,"
they'll probably stick to the beaten path. Thanks for the help.

Tim

We've covered this many times before, and the best advice is for you
to go to a bookstore or library and make comparisons. It's very much
an individual decision.

For a first-time visitor, Rick Steves had a good guide to Italy, and
also separate guides for Rome and for Venice. Definitely beaten path
stuff, with a "how-to" approach to currency exchange, packing, getting
around. Some people here think he's too ga-ga, too simplistic, or
leaves too much out, but for inexperienced travelers that can be a
plus.

I've started using Eyewitness Guides -- there is a general one for
Italy, and also individual guides to Rome, Venice, Naples/Amalfi
Coast, Sicily, etc. They are beautiful all-color books that will make
excellent gifts. They do have a couple of drawbacks -- not too good
for planning lodging, restaurants, or ground transportation, and heavy
to carry around -- but their outstanding quality and usefulness for
self-guided walking tours are without equal.
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Lil

Try Fodor's Italy for Less tha $75 a day (or something like it) or the
Lonely Planet's Italy from Top to Bottom.

Fodor's is very standard--LP tends to be more "nuts and bolts."

Lil

Old November 9th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Joan McGalliard

Reid wrote:

Have a look at the eyewitness series, you get street plans,
cutaways, diagrams, photos rather than lots of text, also
pictures of useful things like what a phone box/police car/bus
etc look like.

I know that people seem to like these guides, but I feel they sort of
"spoil" it for me. Part of the pleasure of travel is the adventure and
discovery, the joy of seeing something for the first time. Having too
many photos robs me of that pleasure.

That's also why I usually bring more than one guide, so I don't feel I
am following a well trod route - I am, but it doesn't feel like it :-)

joan
--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org