trip to usa december/january

Old April 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default trip to usa december/january

On 2006-04-27 14:37:51 -0400, Dave Smith said:

Where are you? You haven't said, or it got lost in the thread.
And do you really think that saying that is a way of attracting
tourists?

I am in the middle of the Niagara Peninsula.

The famous Blizzard of '78! We lived through it too, in Cleveland.

77.
We had a powerful wind storm during the winter of 78, but Lake Erie wasn't
frozen over and it wasn't snowing as hard so we didn't get the snow from the far
end of Lake Erie piling up at this end of the lake.

It was even weirder because it got into the 50's the day before. There
had been lots of rain and I was trying to siphon a mess of water out of
our driveway. Then it started to get cold and I had to move the hose
before it froze. Was I glad the next day that I had!

But they have blizzards fairly often in Cleveland. There were at least
two the year before.

There is always lots of snow around Buffalo, but the weather in Niagara Falls,
even though only 15 miles away is like a different world.

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Dave Smith wrote:
There is always lots of snow around Buffalo, but the weather in Niagara Falls,
even though only 15 miles away is like a different world.

Exactly! But it is the DRIVING to Niagara Falls that we are discussing
- and that takes our "ausie" friends through the "lake effect snow area"
around Buffalo.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

cora wrote:

OK everyone stop bickering. We have decided we will probably go to new
York after New years and just wait and see when we get there. I really
want to do some shopping over there and i assume the crowds would have
died down abit by then.
I know Mike said that Niagara Falls isn't that good but that would be
like me telling you not to go to Ayers Rock

Niagara Falls is impressive. It is especially beautiful in the winter.

If it was your one and
only chance you might have to take it. Airfares from Aust to USA are
pretty expensive. We will wait until we are in New York and then if
the weather is not too bad we might take the train to Niagara Falls. I
think that woiuld be alot safer.

Train works :-)

Old April 28th, 2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I am near Niagara Falls and have driven to NYC many times and drive a
lot on the thruway (I90) from Buffalo to Albany. Normally December does
not have a lot of snow yet but there have been some years. So it's a
chance you take but the odds are on your side.

The major snow belt is on the west side of Buffalo where Lake Erie is. I
have done a lot of winter driving in New York state and the storms are
not frequent, and generally short duration. The highway crews are quick
to clean up after a storm.

If you do run into a storm, stay put in a motel and next day things are
normally cleaned up. The odds are on your side. Just use common sense.

Most of the storms are in January & February. We are usually luck to
have snow for Christmas.

cora wrote:

OK everyone stop bickering. We have decided we will probably go to new
York after New years and just wait and see when we get there. I really
want to do some shopping over there and i assume the crowds would have
died down abit by then.
I know Mike said that Niagara Falls isn't that good but that would be
like me telling you not to go to Ayers Rock If it was your one and
only chance you might have to take it. Airfares from Aust to USA are
pretty expensive. We will wait until we are in New York and then if
the weather is not too bad we might take the train to Niagara Falls. I
think that woiuld be alot safer.
Thanks to everyone for all your rips and ideas. Anyone venturing over
to Oz I am happy to answer any questions you may have
Corinne

Old April 28th, 2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article . com,
cora wrote:
[...] We will wait until we are in New York and then if
the weather is not too bad we might take the train to Niagara Falls. I
think that woiuld be alot safer.

As a bonus, the train route along the Hudson River between New York and
Albany is one of the most scenic in the US, east of the Rockies.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:28:29 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:
I lived near New York City for years and always tried to get into the
city at least once in the Christmas season. Snow is rare in that area
in December; ...

Sure, NYC is fine.

That was not the issue, it was the planning to drive from NYC to
Pennsylvania, to Niagara Falls, and back to NYC that (most of us) feel
is not a good plan for that time of year.

I'm sorry, but that *was* the issue. I was specifically responding to
a post that said it was unwise to visit New York City in the winter.
You cut that out in your response.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

B Vaughan wrote:
I'm sorry, but that *was* the issue. I was specifically responding to
a post that said it was unwise to visit New York City in the winter.
You cut that out in your response.

Yes, that may have been one person's response but the overall issue in
this entire thread was about the "driving". Most agreed that NYC at
Christmas can be an enjoyable destination. FAO Schwartz, Jets and
Giants Games, Rangers, Knicks, skate at Rock. Center, ...Museums, Plays,
.... and on and on ... So I also agree that post was wrong.

Old April 29th, 2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Corinne:
[...] We will wait until we are in New York and then if the weather
is not too bad we might take the train to Niagara Falls.

If you do this, you pretty much have to spend one day traveling there,
two nights and a day at Niagara Falls, and one day traveling back.
Here's the current timetable in PDF; the winter one will be similar.

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/apr06/W08.pdf

Jon Bell:
As a bonus, the train route along the Hudson River between New York and
Albany is one of the most scenic in the US, east of the Rockies.

Agreed. Be sure to sit on the left side of the train leaving New York.
But once you leave the river valley, you'll probably may want to have
plenty of reading matter with you...

The train station in Niagara Falls, New York, is badly located, 4 km
away from the falls. Presumably there are city buses and taxis, but
I don't know; it wouldn't be a particularly interesting walk.

(There's also a train station on the Canadian side, 3 km from the falls,
but if you cross the border on the train, you have to wait for everyone
else on board to clear customs. Also, only one train a day does it, the
one that goes on to Toronto.)

If the weather is good enough for you to drive, and you decide to do it,
you have the advantage that you can take different routes coming and going.
(Perhaps one way via Albany, one way via Binghamton -- there are various
choices in detail.) You still want to take 3 days for the round trip,
but you have the option of moving some of the driving time into the
middle day by stopping for the night some distance away from Niagara
Falls, if you wish. However, be sure to check weather forecasts for the
whole state before you decide to do it.
--
Mark Brader "I can say nothing at this point."
Toronto "Well, you were wrong."