New aircraft design has rows of passengers sitting face-to-face

Old September 26th, 2009, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default New aircraft design has rows of passengers sitting face-to-face

In article ,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

erilar wrote:

Well, one of the reasons I like trains is being able to sightsee without
running off the road, so the high speed trains that go into tunnels just
when the scenery gets interesting aren't really my first choice unless
I'm really going a long distance.

Those particular high speed lines don't have _so_ many tunnels as I
recall. The Paris-Marseilles line is partcularly impressive, as you can
clearly see the scenery change as you go south, or north. But that said,
they are going so quickly that it's a different kind of sightsee...

I normally seem to be going from one tiny place to another tiny place
some distance away, involving a number of train changes. Not all of
these run on time(outside of Switzerland*), so I can only take faster
trains(not the SUPER fast) for parts of my trips anyway 8-)

*It may be my memory at fault, but I seem to recall that most German
trains used to run on time, though this has been less common in recent
years. When I was traveling in Switzerland, however, even a train wreck
between my departure and destination points where we were bussed over
the gap didn't make the train more than a small bit late. and every
other train I took in that country was punctual.

--
Erilar, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism [Gr biblion] n. [BIBLIO + HOLISM] books, of books:
habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Old September 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-09-21, William Black wrote:
tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...

Were do you normally fly.

Usually to the Middle and Far East from the UK.

Those are long haul flights. All airlines give you food on those.
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
James Silverton[_3_]

On 2009-09-21, William Black wrote:
tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in
message ...
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another
airline...

Were do you normally fly.

Usually to the Middle and Far East from the UK.

How do you define "long haul". It's 2377 miles from Washington, DC to
San Francisco, CA and you get no food. Perhaps you do on London, England
to Aden (3663 miles).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

On 2009-09-21, William Black wrote:
tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...
Were do you normally fly.

Usually to the Middle and Far East from the UK.

Those are long haul flights. All airlines give you food on those.

And booze, so far...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

On 2009-09-21, William Black wrote:
tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...
Were do you normally fly.
Usually to the Middle and Far East from the UK.

Those are long haul flights. All airlines give you food on those.

And booze, so far...

Depends on the airline, and time of year.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Tom P[_6_]

tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message
Hatunen wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:06:41 +0100, William Black
wrote:

Tofu wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...el-option.html
No lap straps, no TV, no way to deliver food or drinks, no way to get
to a sick passenger...
Food? Drinks? You haven't been paying attention to the latest
developments,
have you?

I just fly in them...

If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...

Were do you normally fly.

Now that BA have announced that they will stop I know of no airlines at all
that give free food to standard economy pax within Europe.

That's strange. I got a sandwich yesterday on Lufthansa ZRH-DUS.

T.

Um wait a minute. I got a manky sandwich from JAT to Belgrade.

tim

Old September 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Tom P wrote:

tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

[]
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...

Were do you normally fly.

Now that BA have announced that they will stop I know of no airlines at all
that give free food to standard economy pax within Europe.

That's strange. I got a sandwich yesterday on Lufthansa ZRH-DUS.

He did add the bit below.

Um wait a minute. I got a manky sandwich from JAT to Belgrade.

TAP still give food on international flights. There are surely others.
For European flights, the absence of free food/drink or not doesn't make
a big difference.

I don't see the big deal. People will quite happily take a 12-hour train
journey and not expect free refreshment- including in first class in
some cases...

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

Tom P wrote:

tim..... wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

[]
If I don't get offered free food and drink I find another airline...
Were do you normally fly.

Now that BA have announced that they will stop I know of no airlines at all
that give free food to standard economy pax within Europe.

That's strange. I got a sandwich yesterday on Lufthansa ZRH-DUS.

He did add the bit below.

Um wait a minute. I got a manky sandwich from JAT to Belgrade.

TAP still give food on international flights. There are surely others.
For European flights, the absence of free food/drink or not doesn't make
a big difference.

I don't see the big deal. People will quite happily take a 12-hour train
journey and not expect free refreshment- including in first class in
some cases...

Nobody ever objected to me pulling some food and a bottle of beer out of
a bag and consuming them on a train.

Never mind beer bottles, people object to a bottle opener on aircraft...

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

Tom P wrote:

tim..... wrote:
[...]

No one ever objected to me pulling some food and a non-alcoholic drink
out of a bag and consuming them on a plane. If you're subtle with the
booze, you probably won't get into trouble on the plane either. I did it
once on an Egyptair flight during Ramadan.

Some UK trains have alcohol bans, usually for football reasons.

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
No one ever objected to me pulling some food and a non-alcoholic drink
out of a bag and consuming them on a plane. If you're subtle with the
booze, you probably won't get into trouble on the plane either. I did it
once on an Egyptair flight during Ramadan.

Tried getting your drink through security in the past couple of months?

I don't want to have to sneak a beer onto a plane, especially not when
the security people are paranoid about more than half a thimble full of
liquid.