Milan to Bucharest by train?

Old November 29th, 2015, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

Late June or early July. Probably stop for a day somewhere between.

Don't care how fast but don't want to spend a lot. I did look at the
fastest route on one site, and it required taking a bus from one train
station to another. Didn't like that.
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:43:47 -0600, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Several legs, either by Insbruck (34 hours) or Wien (30 hours).
Only 2hours 15mn and 20€ direct flight on Ryanair.

Old November 29th, 2015, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Paul Aubrin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:43:47 -0600, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Several legs, either by Insbruck (34 hours) or Wien (30 hours).

I think he's already looked that up (his reference to the bus connection is
a clue).

The results using the travel planner are designed to provide for the fastest
journeys between the two points.

Unfortunately (for this route) it brings up lots of options with multiple
changes.

The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one night
and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available using "global
pricing" (which means a single fare including on board accommodation),
though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for the cheapest solution

Only 2hours 15mn and 20€ direct flight on Ryanair.

or E299 if all the 20 Euro seats are sold for the day you want to travel

I wonder if there's a bus?

tim

Old November 29th, 2015, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-29-2015 13:25, tim..... wrote:
The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one
night and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available using
"global pricing" (which means a single fare including on board
accommodation), though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for
the cheapest solution

Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

So, I was really fishing for suggestions from folks familiar with
different routes and locations.

I'm actually starting in Spain, but I couldn't find a site that was able
to compute the entire route. So I picked Milan for my first stop.
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-29-2015 09:55, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:43:47 -0600, Happy.Hobo wrote:
Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take from Milano to Bucuresti ?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Several legs, either by Insbruck (34 hours) or Wien (30 hours).
Only 2hours 15mn and 20€ direct flight on Ryanair.

Hmmm. That sight offered me nothing the other day. Another site had
too many choices, hence my post for suggestions.

bahn.de today gives me four choices, two under thirty hours that include
three hours bus, and two about forty hours all train. All four go
through Wien. I thought from looking at train maps that I'd go through
Zagreb.

I guess I'll plan three trips of about thirteen hours each.

I also see that flying to Timisoara is cheaper than Bucharest.

Thanks!

Old November 30th, 2015, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-29-2015 09:55, Paul Aubrin wrote:
Only 2hours 15mn and 20€ direct flight on Ryanair.

Late May or early June. Their website says forty euro.

Ten euro if I go now.
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Happy.Hobo

On 11-29-2015 14:38, Happy.Hobo wrote:
On 11-29-2015 13:25, tim..... wrote:
The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one
night and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available using
"global pricing" (which means a single fare including on board
accommodation), though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for
the cheapest solution

Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

Tentatively, Barcelona to Milan, Milan to Budapest, Budapest to Sibiu or
Bucharest.

Where do I look?

Renfe.es doesn't recognize Milan.

bahn.de doesn't have prices or make sales

eurail won't sell trips, only passes for €510

raileurope.com suggests US$ 125 BCN-MIL, US$118 BUD-BUH, can't find a
Milan to Budapest route

RyanAir will charge me up the nose for a few kilos overweight, and a
hundred euro if their online form is unable to accept the name on my
passport.

etc.

(62 years old, if that makes any difference)
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015, Happy.Hobo wrote:

Recommendations for which TRAIN route to take fro Milano to Bucuresti ?

if you want general tips, may be a bit UK-oriented, look at
http://www.seat61.com/

to make a preliminary plan try the following alternate interface to the
German rail site (names like Milano and Bucuresti work)
http://www.myway.de/e.lauterbach/aus...fplanx-en.html

Ultimately you might want to plan yourself looking at the individual
national train operators sites, and building the route stretch by
stretch, for this a collection of maps like these may help
http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

to make a preliminary plan try the following alternate interface to the
German rail site (names like Milano and Bucuresti work)
http://www.myway.de/e.lauterbach/aus...fplanx-en.html

Apparently this shows a through night train from Wien to Bucarest.
Unfortunately the connection from Italy is not optimal, because for
unknown reasons after the Udine-Tarvisio-Villach line has been entirely
refurbished, daytime international trains have disappeared between Italy
and Austria (sic !).

There should still be night trains from Italy to Wien, so if you agree
to spend one day in Wien you could have a reasonable trip.

I guess the same if you agree for a stopover in any other major place
on the route. I guess it depends mainly on your interest, if you want to
visit sites on the route, and which stretch you prefer to do in daytime
"looking out of the window".
Old November 30th, 2015, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

The simplest option is two overnight through trains, Milano - Wien one
night and Wien - Bucuresti a following night. Both are available using
"global pricing" (which means a single fare including on board
accommodation), though I suspect that won't meet the OP's request for
the cheapest solution

Sorry I wasn't clear. Indeed, I don't want to spend a LOT but there are
other factors than price. Even the bus is not out of the question, nor
the flight. But the train, with a tourist stop along the way is an
experience that appeals to me. Night train would save money, but
eyeballing the country along the way is worth the cost of a night's
lodging (under €25 is pretty easy to find).

I've done the sleeper train from Budapest most of the way to
Bucuresti - problem is, it crosses the border at about 2am and
it'll only just be getting light when you hit the interesting
bits of Transylvania. I'm not sure what alternatives there are.

I have been from Budapest to Rijeka by train - easy to get to
Rijeka from Venice. That takes you through some attractive
countryside in Slovenia.