America's most walkable cities

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Karen Y Byrd

Default America's most walkable cities

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:30:55 GMT, mcs wrote:

with all the myriad of asthma commericals and people I talked to , with all
the John Whites, Hy Lits, Joe Niagara, Jonny Callisons, and Jim Correa who
have died sooner then they should

Why is it such a stretch for you to believe in "personal responsibility"
in why some people die, supposedly, ahead of time? There's also the
fact that people, because of their DNA, age faster which, obviously,
means they will likely die before some other people.

I mentioned to you before(of course there was no comment from you)
that sports stars and other celebrities often have messy life-styles.
So it's no surprise to me when one of them dies early.

and all the people who have respiratory
disease

A LOT of them smoked.

It's very common to see 1) very over weight people 2) smoking.
Whether the air is bad of not they are probably doubling or
tripling their chances of developing a respiratory disease.

But, naturally, for you it's NEVER about how people conduct their
lives with the decisions they, themselves, make. For you
it's easier to just say, "The air's bad so I'm blameless
and so are they?" It removes all guilt.

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Karen Y Byrd

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:12:38 GMT, mcs wrote:
well there goes the good air.. 6 out of 8 was the most days for us. Wow..
this is actually a bad run for many places with cleaner air.

Now my lungs are constricted and its time to get the helll out of here if I
want to live..

So why don't you????? I suspect it's not nearly as life and death
for you as you claim it is. I mean, my God man, if it's so bad
for you how do you have the energy to read these lists, post
and, gee.... "drive a lot"(your words). Dying people are just
that. You are giving go indication that you actually are.

the rest of you, your cells are slowly being destroyed one
cell at a time only you don't know it and I am telling you.

Steve, EVERYONE is dying slowly or more rapidly. Do you
know any human immortals? I think you're afraid of dying.
That's part of what your air pollution "discussion" is about.
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs

"Karen Y Byrd" wrote in message
[...]

naturally for you Karen,
you refuse to see objective studies which show Philly has more disease from
breathing. Unless you know we smoke more often then assume those same
factors are understood in other cities too .
Its interestting in the last five days with clean air we had less murders..
a fact that seems to keep happening in Seattle and other clean cities but
not all. When you deal with studies, its not always true, just the
probability that most of the time it is.

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Stan Horwitz wrote:

Karen; you missed the point of the article. No one is disputing that
Philadelphia has a great park system. The article I cited was in
reference to how easy it is to run errands in each of the cities on foot
such as buying groceries, visiting friends, going to the doctor, etc.
It was about how convenient each city is for running errands on foot.

Right; large parks make that worse by getting in the way.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM posted to phl.transportation, phl.media, rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Stan Horwitz wrote:
Check out this CNN article

��http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/04/walkable.communities.ap/index.html

I haven't been to many of the cities on this
list, but I would agree with it for the cities where I have been to such
as New York, Boston, and Las Vegas, although walking in Las Vegas is a
problem for many people in the hot summer weather.

I have been to each of the thirty cities on the list. The ranking
makes no sense to me. I think maybe the author didn't set foot in some
of 'em. Of course, there's always the dif'rent strokes factor.

A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ --------- IClast at GMail com
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Karen Y Byrd

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:41:23 GMT, mcs wrote:

naturally for you Karen,

Steve, I just expect adults to act like grown-ups and
accept responsibility for a lot of what befalls them.

You don't and that's clear.

you refuse

You refuse to see anything that supposes people should
make an effort to counteract the effects of what the air
might do by taking care of themselves in ways they
REALLY CAN CONTROL.

to see objective studies which show Philly has more disease from
breathing.

Philly also has a lot of grossly overweight people and the
air didn't make them that way. It also has a lot of smokers
which is contributing to the rate of lung disease in this city.

Unless you know we smoke more often then assume those same
factors are understood in other cities too .

I think Phila., which has more poor people than the 10 largest cities
in the US, and therefore presumably
more uneducated/under-educated/uninformed people, probably has more
smokers than more progressive places like Seattle.

Its interestting in the last five days with clean air we had less murders..

The murders always decrease when it's colder.

Old December 8th, 2007, 03:12 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article ,
says...

Check out this CNN article

[SNIP]

I rank San Francisco as a very walkable city - good views, great elevation
changes, and friendly cross-walks.

Hunt

Old December 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM posted to phl.transportation,phl.media,rec.travel.usa-canada
mcs[_2_]

[...]

Karen, I told you where the pollution is coming from. I wrote about if there
was a way to objectively get the information , you ignore it.anyway Our
ratings for asthma and respiratory deaths and illness and f rating by
American Lung Association and number one in depression and links that say
exercising in bad air might do more harm then good and many photos of black
air filters .. didn't persuade you nothing will. its not magic or my desire
to hurt Philly , at least I am telling people that constricted lungs is
involuntary. Am I dying ? Probably like you mentioned we all die but is my
reaction just so unique? NO , there seems to be lots of reasons we are
getting so many commercials for nebulizers then to just reach me!