Stingers on Great Barrier Reef~~ need clarification

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Diane and Dennis Reynolds[_2_]

Default Stingers on Great Barrier Reef~~ need clarification

Hi,
I checked out the stinger-related websites that Ross kindly provided earlier
and am still unclear if there is stinger-free ocean swimming during December
on the Great Barrier Reef (or the Whitsundays).

(Also...not sure what constitutes a "stinger suit" :-)

Thanks much for any assistance in clearing my confusion.
Cheers.
Diane

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross

Diane, here are two links (more) to recent news items in the Brisbane
Courier Mail newspaper:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...rom=public_rss

and

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss

As far as I know the "stinger season" is from November to about April.

Is there stinger-free ocean swimming? You won't see many people in the
water close to shore but literally millions have swum at reefs either
snorkelling or diving. I don't recall a report of any one being stung
during one of these tours/dives.

The number of reported deaths (from stings) over the last 100 years is a
handful. The last I recall was five years ago. Think how many people have
been swimming in that time.

Listen to the locals. If they say there are sharks, don't swim. If they
say there are stingers, don't swim. If they say there are crocodiles, don't
swim.

All very simple to my mind.

A stinger suit is a full length body stocking which leaves the hands and
feet as well as the neck-up uncovered. Not to be confused with the racing
suits worn by Olympic swimmers.

Ross

hlink.net...

Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Martin12003 Martin12003 is offline
Member

Location: Herve y Bay Queensland Australia

Hi, Stinger season is based on traditional times of the year that the Box Jellyfish was seen however this has changed. i can tell you from first hand experience that stingers can be seen out of season.

Stingers are not just the Box Jellyfish it also includes the Irikandji jellyfish. Fraser Island is a place not known for these jellyfish however a search just last week by scientists turned up Irikandji in Fraser Island waters so the world as we know it has changed.

Having seen a mate of mine in Darwin dive headfirst into a Box Jellyfish I can tell you this is an experience you don't want to have to go through. So my advise is if you are offered the hire of a stinger suit.....hire it and wear it, you might look silly but it sure beats being killed.....or if you survive...being scarred for life.

At the very least it would ruin your holiday and cause you a lot of pain.

Just my thoughts

Cheers
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Main beaches are stinger netted (using nets designed by James Cook U Marine
biologists - the mesh size precludes passage by whole stingers - but
particles which may contain some sting mechanisms can still get in - so not
recommended on rough days).
Patrolled beaches have 'stinger status' reports. The level of stinger danger
depends on the wind direction on any given day. Southerly or South-easterly
winds usually mean no stingers.