Toronto Tourism and Dollars Report

Old January 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Default Toronto Tourism and Dollars Report

From an article in today's Toronto Star...
Toronto sets tourism record in 2007
Jan 31, 2008 09:09 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Toronto tourism industry set a record in 2007 with more than 10.6
million overnight visitors.

Toronto Tourism president David Whitaker says the city showed resilience
despite challenges, such as new passport rules and the rising dollar.

He says visitors to the city spent more than $4.5 billion on hotels,
restaurants, attractions and shopping.

The greatest number of overseas visitors – about 280,000 – were from the
United Kingdom, while Mexico and China were the fastest-growing
international markets at about 15 per cent growth each.

Whitaker also says hotel occupancy in 2007 across the Toronto region
rose to 68.3 per cent, its highest level since 2000.

The Toronto tourism industry, which took a severe hit during the SARS
outbreak in 2003, supports nearly 100,000 jobs.

Is my math right? [assuming the American billion 1,000,000,000] Does
this mean people spend an average of $425 per day while here? $950 per
couple per day? On what? And if that IS just an average some people
are spending a lot more. What am I doing wrong when I travel? LOL!!!

--
===========================
Sawyer Nicknames

Seinfeld Trivia, Lists, and Scripts
http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
===========================
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Michel Talbot[_2_]

TheNewsGuy(Mike) a écrit:

The Toronto tourism industry set a record in 2007 with more than 10.6
million overnight visitors.

He says visitors to the city spent more than $4.5 billion on hotels,
restaurants, attractions and shopping.

Is my math right? [assuming the American billion 1,000,000,000] Does
this mean people spend an average of $425 per day while here? $950 per
couple per day? On what? And if that IS just an average some people
are spending a lot more. What am I doing wrong when I travel? LOL!!!

The average visitor spends $425 but nothing says this is in 1 day.