Port of Galveston - Update from Royal Caribbean

Old September 19th, 2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Port of Galveston - Update from Royal Caribbean

I received an email from Royal Caribbean talking about the Port of Galveston
and how it should be ready by the time the Voyager of the Seas is scheduled
to arrive for the Winter season

"Here is the latest update on the Port of Galveston We just heard from
Dustin Nason who is our Manager of Worldwide Port Operations. As of today,
we have been told that the Port will be ready to accept the Voyager as
scheduled in December. The terminal did sustain 3 feet of water damage, but
the building has been deemed structurally sound. Over the next two weeks
they will be replacing carpet and counters that have water damage. The
electricians are working today, and there is hope that they will have power
this week. (The port is on the same transformer and the hospital). Engineers
are still evaluating pierside, and the waterway is clear of all obstacles. A
Navy ship will come in and dock pierside this week to provide lodging and
support to the city. "

That's good news.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old September 19th, 2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AGW[_6_]

On Sep 18, 6:03*pm, "George Leppla" wrote:
[...]

That's not good news. It's great news.

Dad and I and an aunt and uncle will be on the Nov. 29 Transatlantic
Voyager of the Seas. (First RCCL for aunt and uncle; Dad and I will
graduate to platinum level upon its completion.) We were getting
ready for anything from ending in Miami (where it will stop anyway) to
ending in New Orleans or Houston Ship Channel. (Fortunately, our air
-- to and from Toronto -- is through RCCL.)

Thanks for this.

Old September 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Richard Whitlock

The Port of Houston is about 1/2 an hour closer than Galveston from the
airports. However, be aware there are no shops, dining, sightseeing
within walking distance. It is located in a container port. I hope the
other lines see how great the new port is and decide to bring their
ships in for the winter season. We don't even mind if they are old and
bound for Australia hoping they will sink on the way for insurance money
(lol).

I wouldn't bet the farm Galveston will be open in December--at least to
the level it was before the storm came in. They seem to be overly
optimistic with their press conferences. Saying only 7 fatalities (2
drowning, 4 natural and 1 accident) can't be correct. They are careful
to say those are the bodies in the ME facility. Anyone on Boliver
Island who didn't make it to High Island had a very slim chance of
survival. They made those who defied the mandatory evacuation write
their social security number on their arm in indelible ink for
identification later. Once they clear the debris, I'm sure they will
find more bodies and there are probably many that were washed out to
sea. Locals on Boliver are saying there are at least 50 people
unaccounted for. They could have evacuated so there is hope that they
will be located. There are some other reports I doubt like only 11
looting arrests (half prior to the storm coming in). They had a short
"look and leave" policy going but canceled it after three or four hours
when they discovered that 1) massive traffic jam and 2) a lot of people
were "looking" and didn't plan to "leave" as they were loaded down with
generators and food supplies.

Tucker in Texas