Seventeen Days in November

Old October 14th, 2003, 08:36 PM
BH

Default Seventeen Days in November

A current airline fare sale and an impulsive nature now leaves us with
seventeen days to spend in Europe (arriving to and from Amsterdam).
Camped in Europe one year (minus a few months working in Geneva), been
back and forth several times, love the ambiance, the people, and the
lifestyle.

For big cities, London and Berlin tempt us. But, we like smaller to
mid-sized cities best and Avignon and Erfurt-Weimar (which were not
very available when we were camping) are on our list. We have just
started to plan and are searching for ideas. Finding a few quality
places to enjoy is high on our priority. Trying to do too much is not
on the agenda.

If you had seventeen days to spend beginning and ending in potentially
wet an chilly Amsterdam, last week of October to Mid-November - Where
would you go? What would you do?

Bill H.
Omit the anti-spam "drop" in email address.
Old October 14th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Sjoerd

"BH" schreef in bericht
A current airline fare sale and an impulsive nature now leaves us with
seventeen days to spend in Europe (arriving to and from Amsterdam).
Camped in Europe one year (minus a few months working in Geneva), been
back and forth several times, love the ambiance, the people, and the
lifestyle.

For big cities, London and Berlin tempt us. But, we like smaller to
mid-sized cities best and Avignon and Erfurt-Weimar (which were not
very available when we were camping) are on our list. We have just
started to plan and are searching for ideas. Finding a few quality
places to enjoy is high on our priority. Trying to do too much is not
on the agenda.

If you had seventeen days to spend beginning and ending in potentially
wet an chilly Amsterdam, last week of October to Mid-November - Where
would you go? What would you do?

First of all, *all* of Europe is potentially wet and chilly in November. But
the chances for reasonably nice weather are better in Southern Europe.

So after recovering from your jet lag in Amsterdam for 2 or 3 days (and you
may be lucky and have nice sunny weather like we have this week), I would
take a cheap flight to Pisa on Basiqair www.basiqair.com and spend 12 days
or so in Tuscany. Siena, Volterra, Lucca and Pisa are my favourite cities in
that part of Italy, and in November there shouldn't be too many tourists.
Alternatively, take a cheap flight to Malaga and discover Andalucia.

Sjoerd

Old October 15th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

So after recovering from your jet lag in Amsterdam for 2 or 3 days
(and you may be lucky and have nice sunny weather like we have this week), I
would take a cheap flight to Pisa on Basiqair www.basiqair.com and spend 12
days or so in Tuscany. Siena, Volterra, Lucca and Pisa are my favourite
cities in that part of Italy, and in November there shouldn't be too many
tourists. Alternatively, take a cheap flight to Malaga and discover
Andalucia.

Now THAT sounds like great advice. You would have to be extremely
interested in specifics of history to really enjoy Erfurt/Weimar. Even in
the height of summer, they are still awkward places, not exactly teeming
over with conviviality or ambiance--they are works in progress. In the
same vein, Berlin and even London will reward specific interests that time
of year--though they still have bright lights and warm pubs & cafe's to make
the trip stimulating. Italy sounds great!

Old October 15th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Russell

BH wrote:

[...]

Bruges or Edinburgh would meet your criteria for a mid-sized city which is
a short hop away.

Russell

Old October 18th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Hi,
We will be in Europe the same time as you. We will fly from Amsterdam to
Warsaw and then travel south to Budapest and fly home from there. Since
this is our first time in Eastern Europe we will concentrate on the
larger cities and get only a glimpse of the countryside. Camping would
not be an option for us at that time of the year.

I am interested in getting transportation and museum passes and doing
the "tourist sites. There is always way too little time on any trip, but
I think language may be a bit more difficult in this area than in most
of Europe, excepting Finland. All I ever seemed to pick up there besides
a few polite phrases were names of foods( which was delicious).\
~~DORIS~~