London to San Diego

Old June 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Phil Smith

Default London to San Diego

On Sun, 9 May 2004 11:53:15 +0100, Phil Richards
wrote:

My partner and I need to fly to San Diego in October - out Fri 1 Oct,
back 4 Oct to be back in London by 5 Oct. Dates are fixed as we're
attending a wedding and have minimal time off work.

Looking for advice on cheapest route. My partner has about 22,000 air
miles with Virgin Atlantic which apparently is enough for a "buy one get
one free" economy return London to Los Angeles. When is the best time to
book these? Currently cheapest price is just over £400. Will taxes be
payable on top of the free ticket?

If we explored this option, the problem seems to be the cost of the 45
minute onward flight to San Diego which is coming up at over USD 200
following a quick look. Again advice on when to book and what other
airlines to search to get this bit a bit cheaper. We don't really want to
look at getting taxis in to the centre of Los Angeles then a train or bus
to San Diego.

Our other option would be to fly on one ticket from London to San Diego
with a change en-route with one of the US carriers such as AA or United.
Again flights are coming up at just over £400 each but no benefit of the
air miles discount.

Thanks.

Depending on your age, length of flight, sleep you have had, fatigue
might be a real problem driving down to San Diego after a long flight
from the UK. I went on a coach from Anaheim to San Diego last year
and much of the journey is on a nearly dead straight freeway so could
be a boring and tiresome drive.

If you can afford the time/money why not stay 1 night in LA and then
drive down?

(A few years ago I tried driving 3 hours after a night-time flight,
and a full on holiday. I made it home but it was bloody scary. I
had at least one micro-sleep and it scared me witless. I pulled off
the road then and had a 20 minutes doze and carried on.)

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Miss L. Toe

wrote:

My partner and I need to fly to San Diego in October - out Fri 1 Oct,
back 4 Oct to be back in London by 5 Oct. Dates are fixed as we're
attending a wedding and have minimal time off work.

Looking for advice on cheapest route. My partner has about 22,000 air
miles with Virgin Atlantic which apparently is enough for a "buy one get
one free" economy return London to Los Angeles.

The one you buy normally has to be of a certain fare category it doesn't
always apply to the cheapest fare published.

But virgin also do a miles + money ticket which may be better value.

and taxes are extra on the free ticket - ?100 USD return.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:59 AM
Bruce O'Neel

I'll second this. A few years ago I went GVA-FRA-LAX-MRY, and the
short drive from the airport to hotel in greater downtown Monterey was
not a bright move on my part.

--
Reality is 80m polygons - Alvy Ray Smith
Bruce O'Neel -