Will I make this connecting flight at Hong Kong International Airport?

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Whytoi

Default Will I make this connecting flight at Hong Kong International Airport?

In article . net,
Blake S wrote:

Could be UA. Could be a longer than expected transit line. I did spend
over 3 hours at the CX transit desk trying to negotiate something. Finally
they gave me a pass to the Business Class lounge. Big deal.

Thank you.

You definitely win the prize on stamina alone.

Better luck next time.
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Blake S

"Whytoi" wrote in message
In article . net,
Blake S wrote:

I could use the name of the staff at TPE that confirmed my connection.

That
way the transit desk people at HKG will know I'm telling the truth

instead
of some BS story. Might strengthen my case for compensation.

Did you meet UA staff or CX staff at the transit desk? In my
experience, when you connect to a different airline, it's always the
connecting airline's agent you deal with. And UA does have staffs
stationed at the transfer desk. And in my recollection, they are often
some junior with limited experience.

I can see how you can get delayed if you stood in line to re-check-in.
A few times the queue can be slow due to flight irregularities. That's
another reason why you should go with airlines with alliances and ones
that can issue boarding passes for your full itinerary at the first
point of contact. If CX was able to give you a boarding pass at TPE for
your HKG outbound flight, then I'd say that you would have been able to
go directly through security and be able to get on the flight at the
same time as your luggage.

UA's alliance on the TPE-HKG flight was TG, which at that time had only 2
inconvenient flights that would've caused me to spend an extra night in HKG.

I met the CX staff after I deplaned. They told me that me connection has
been rescheduled and that it is Cathay's responsibility to make sure I get
home since Cathay was the first leg of the flight. I politely told them
that I didn't want them to be responsible and I will be taking the UA
connecting flight. Of course that didn't work. The CX junior staff person
that I met could not answer any of my questions and told me to wait until we
got to the transit desk. At that time someone would answer my questions.
Well, to make a long story short, they made me wait for 3 hours and kept
passing me off to other staff members. Basically, they wanted me to be
quiet and wait 5 hours, get moved to economy class, and be happy about it.

I was ****ed but I didn't raise my voice. I was conscience about not being
an ugly American.

Old September 19th, 2003, 05:53 AM
devil

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:37:40 +0000, Blake S wrote:

UA's alliance on the TPE-HKG flight was TG, which at that time had only 2
inconvenient flights that would've caused me to spend an extra night in HKG.

SG used to have lots of flights on that route.

Old September 21st, 2003, 12:59 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Whytoi wrote:

In article , AJC
wrote:

Sigh. What immigration line? The passenger will be in international
transit arriving from somewhere (Toronto?) and departing to Singapore,
he never enters Hong Kong. Furthermore Hong Kong only has one
terminal, so he can't take a shuttle to and from his terminal. There
is a shuttle running the length of the main spine of the terminal
which he may or may not use in one or other direction depending on
which gates he has to transfer between. 55 minutes is enough to
transfer between two CX flights at HKG.

Further, CX hardly uses any gates at the top end of the Y.

maybe now but back in 2001 all flights to/from BKK and KUL seemed to use
it. CX didn;t open the Pier lounge there for no reason, you know.
Old September 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
AJC wrote:

That's true, and they do seem to have first choice on the gates in the
wings at the start of the terminal.
--==++AJC++==--

There is the Pier CX lounge.....
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:00:12 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article ,
AJC wrote:

That's true, and they do seem to have first choice on the gates in the
wings at the start of the terminal.

There is the Pier CX lounge.....

And I think its much nicer than the original CX lounge next to
immigration.